Sponsored by:

07-08 IMS fail - any documentation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:21 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
This may be right but whatever the %age it is most heavily weighted towards the early 05's. To not acknowledge this is a bit self serving if you sell after market parts.
I agree, it was probably skewed toward the early 997.1s. FYI, I think Phil Raby writes for GT Porsche now, I think I read it there , at Barnes and Noble. I don't have a 997.1 anymore , so I didn't read it with serious thought in mind(browsing).
Old 06-24-2014, 03:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

07-08 IMS failure is next to none, the engine failures so far has been mostly other engine failures such as rod failure rather than IMS. This was discussed in length in another thread.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, I think I mentioned on another post. Recently purchased a 07 C4S. Talked to local dealer who checked the VIN for the IMS. They told me (as did another place) that most of the 07 and 08s got an updated IMS bearing. This can be checked by having a dealer look up the VIN to confirm. My VIN came up clean. Also talked to 2nd source who also said that IMS failure is very very rare with 07 & 08 with updated bearing. It was mostly with the 05 and some 06s.

In addition, as a final layer of security, I brought a Fidelity 6 yr/60k platinum policy. It will cover anything that happens to the engine/transmission, etc. Including IMS.

My advice - if you find a car you like - that fits your budget and options, get it checked out and pull the trigger. There is a reason why 997.1 are still being brought and sold. If they were bad, no one would want them.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by wardrive
OP, I think I mentioned on another post. Recently purchased a 07 C4S. Talked to local dealer who checked the VIN for the IMS. They told me (as did another place) that most of the 07 and 08s got an updated IMS bearing. This can be checked by having a dealer look up the VIN to confirm. My VIN came up clean. Also talked to 2nd source who also said that IMS failure is very very rare with 07 & 08 with updated bearing. It was mostly with the 05 and some 06s.

In addition, as a final layer of security, I brought a Fidelity 6 yr/60k platinum policy. It will cover anything that happens to the engine/transmission, etc. Including IMS.

My advice - if you find a car you like - that fits your budget and options, get it checked out and pull the trigger. There is a reason why 997.1 are still being brought and sold. If they were bad, no one would want them.
Don't even need to check VIN#, any car with build date from 2006-2008 has the updated IMS. Even '05 car IMS failure is way too overblown. Makes me tired discussing this over and over again!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:44 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

OP, I think I mentioned on another post. Recently purchased a 07 C4S. Talked to local dealer who checked the VIN for the IMS. They told me (as did another place) that most of the 07 and 08s got an updated IMS bearing.
Thanks! I know all the 07-08 got the updated bearing but i wasn't seeing any firsthand accounts of how many failed. Just thought maybe we could record it for posterity in case someone else had the question. I saw that someone else asked a similar question in the sticky and it was never really addressed.

Good feedback everyone...thank you!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo
OP, I think I mentioned on another post. Recently purchased a 07 C4S. Talked to local dealer who checked the VIN for the IMS. They told me (as did another place) that most of the 07 and 08s got an updated IMS bearing.
Thanks! I know all the 07-08 got the updated bearing but i wasn't seeing any firsthand accounts of how many failed. Just thought maybe we could record it for posterity in case someone else had the question. I saw that someone else asked a similar question in the sticky and it was never really addressed.

06 also got the update. You new guys will soon be spouting that only 08s got it next!

Quit worrying about it a just buy a car and drive the snot out if it.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 PM
ddrxdd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexb76
Don't even need to check VIN#, any car with build date from 2006-2008 has the updated IMS. Even '05 car IMS failure is way too overblown. Makes me tired discussing this over and over again!
Even '05s built late in the model year have the larger, updated bearing.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:50 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm driving the snot out of mine.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo

If you want the real skinny give these guys a call. They probably know more about these engines than anyone else in the entire country.

http://flat6innovations.com/
Old 06-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 182 Posts

My car is a 2006 S car with a build date of September 2005. It has the larger revised bearing design. It was revised at some point in the spring of 2005 and so late 05 builds and on should be fine.

If you have the volition IMS bearing then you just have to consider it a maintenance item and replace it from time to time.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Okay. Where are the failures? I've yet to see a credible failure reported on this site.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

There were some reports in last 4 years. But i agree - cylinder scoring and cracking due to overheat imho are more common than ims. It may change as those cars get older - bearing is a wearable item.
Still it looks like dfi engines have its own gremlins as well, so, i will stick to mine. So far cars took all the abuse just fine. In my opinion if one pays attention and uses good oil - 5w50, puts 3rd radiator and optionally low temp thermostat it should significantly improve car's chances to live long happy life.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Mcjimmy33
Rennlist Member

Pulled my service notes from the engine replacement last night, its reads : "Customer states there is a loud clacking noise when running - Check and advise - Opened a case with porsche if intermediate bearing failure". On the final page after all of the parts and labor (21k worth) "Replaced lifters on bank 2. Tore down engine to find worn out rod bearings and damage to the cylinders. Replaced entire engine. Suspect rod bearings and possible intermediate shaft issues"

So does that mean ims failure? Maybe....
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
06 also got the update. You new guys will soon be spouting that only 08s got it next!
I know the 06's got the updated bearing as of mid 2005. My question has nothing to do with 06's and everything to do with finding firsthand knowledge and instances where an 07-08 had a failure. I know how to use a search function.

I'm not worrying about buying a car right now. I'm gathering information as to which car to buy and thought people might have the same question I did after reading 33 pages of an IMS failure thread. At least one other person did because he asked it and nobody answered.

Please dial back the criticism a notch. I know I'm new to porsches but so was everyone at one point.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got an early '05 with the small bearing. When I had it changed out at 32K it was in perfect condition. In reasonable probability it could've been one of the 92% that last the life of the engine. I had the LN ceramic bearing installed, now have 22K on that one. Given the OEM has a 92% success rate, and the LN is better designed for severe service (less than optimal lube), I think I'll take my chances that it will go the life of the engine. If and when I need a clutch, I'll revisit the issue in my mind. Meantime I've got a B2B warranty. I certainly wouldn't sweat about it if I had an '06-'08. It seems that if the IMS doesn't take the engine out, there's the next weak link down the line. It's all a crapshoot. Enjoy the car, life is short, it's just a piece of machinery. That's my attitude.

Quick Reply: 07-08 IMS fail - any documentation?