Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM
betonred
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BSU
OP, can you address this question please?
my car i am told has the larger bearing that was not possible to replace.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
A rebuilt engine with a two year warranty is better than the engine you had. For a hundred Bucks, that sounds like a good deal. The fact that Porsche is out of remanufactured engines is not your problem, but the terms of your warranty are. If it permits the installation of a rebuilt engine when a reman engine is not available, then there is no sense debating.

If you say your engine is blown, then it is blown. The true cause is what interests me.

"Bearings gone" and a failed IMS bearing are two drastically different things. I suppose a failed RMS could cause chronic oil leakage (and hence starvation and then wiped cam and main bearings) but the bottom of that car looks awfully clean for one that has been leaking oil for a few weeks. If your car leaked enough oil while driving that you suffered oil starvation, the bottom of the car would be covered in oil.

On the other hand, as the guys have said, a failed IMS is a catastrophic failure that I am assuming a driver would notice--and it does NOT happen when the car sits--which makes me wonder how it could have destroyed your engine without you knowing?

Out of curiosity, is the RMS submerged in oil when the car is off on our flat sixes? Reason I ask is that those pics show a ton of oil and on most cars, RMS leaks just seep or drip, they don't generally pour.
Getting info out of the OP is harder than finding out what my kids got into last night.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol... agreed . i don't see why he can't post the name of the warranty company. it sounds like fidelity since the deductible is only $100.

as far as the name of the porsche dealer, i don't see how that could make a difference either. they got paid and going to get paid again to do the work.

Needless to say i bought a maxjax and hoping i don't have to drop my motor with it one day
Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 PM
betonred
Banned

ok guys - i can finally be more up front -

the work order was just approved today, Fidelity has agreed to fund the short block replacement.

at first they were trying to determine if they could just replace the damaged parts and piece-mail the rebuild i was not happy with this route although they are the decision makers.

a short block is on order! thankfully this also means that i will be entitled to a 2 year 50k warranty on the motor!

Ultimately the purpose of my thread was to query whether or not i should insist on a complete full motor replacement. the only option was the x51 package! i would have been over the moon if they had thrown that in!

i strongly advise anyone without a warranty to purchase one, i paid $3,800 for the gold protection. The engine replacement is going to be close to 25k. not to mention the prior rms repair they paid out roughly $1250.

thanks for the input!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Glad it's resolved, did they ever confirm if it was IMS or something else? IF they said they were trying to see if it could be fixed by replacing damaged parts, it's very likely that it was NOT IMS.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:18 PM
betonred
Banned

here is the short block
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2014, 01:23 PM
hBomb
Intermediate

Thank goodness! FWS just came through for me, too. Glad to hear you're getting taken care of.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:25 PM
betonred
Banned

Originally Posted by hBomb
Thank goodness! FWS just came through for me, too. Glad to hear you're getting taken care of.
yes they did - it is unfortuate that you and i were late to the party and did not get brand new long block's.

i would have liked having brand new everything, as you can see all the accesories will be re-used along with the cylinder heads.

best part of all of this is that we will both have a 2 year 50k mile warranty on the engine from porsche no less.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad it's working out for you Betonred. I think overall you've come out ahead.

I can totally understand the reticnce to name dealers and insurance until the deal is done.

Do you have any more pics? especially of the old failed parts whether they be main bearings, IMS bearings etc. Usually these guys have the failed parts in a cardboard box nearby.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Getting info out of the OP is harder than finding out what my kids got into last night.
True. I'm thinking we're going to find Amelia Earhart before we get any good answers from the OP.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 AM
betonred
Banned

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Glad it's working out for you Betonred. I think overall you've come out ahead.

I can totally understand the reticnce to name dealers and insurance until the deal is done.

Do you have any more pics? especially of the old failed parts whether they be main bearings, IMS bearings etc. Usually these guys have the failed parts in a cardboard box nearby.

Thanks
let me see if they can forward me pics of the damaged motor.. i am intrigued also
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 AM
spender
Pro

I don't understand why you feel you should get an X51 engine out of this.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 AM
betonred
Banned

Originally Posted by spender
I don't understand why you feel you should get an X51 engine out of this.
think about your question. all 997 owners who had ims failure with a warranty received a brand new engine. due to the significant amount of failures porsche has depleted their stock of complete crate motors.

they no longer manufacture this engine, they only have short blocks left. this means all the heads, valves, cams, and accessories are re-used from my old engine

i did contact pcna and told them i had an expectation they should provide me with a new complete engine as others have received. only issue is none of them are in existence. i did some brain storming and came up with the idea of a motor that may be available x51.. and yes it is available

i honestly feel they should have given me that option rather than leaving me with a rebuilt substitute.

how would you feel if you drew the short straw?

not only that, if i did not have a warranty none of this repair would be covered, according to porsche my engine was not in the date range or effected ims parts. i do not want to complain although i would be literally stranded if i did not purchase an aftermarket warranty. who has 25k laying around just in case their motor blows.

hope this shares my point of view well

Last edited by betonred; 07-23-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:41 PM
betonred
Banned

my car is going to be ready this Tuesday - its been 7 weeks since it was dropped off.

very excited, i presume i'll be breaking in my first ever new engine.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by betonred
my car is going to be ready this Tuesday - its been 7 weeks since it was dropped off.

very excited, i presume i'll be breaking in my first ever new engine.
Good for you! Very happy to hear it worked out well. Do break it in properly and enjoy.

Quick Reply: RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!