Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:27 PM
betonred
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!

Hey Guys -

I have a 2005 997.1 carrera s.

I was informed my car was out of the date range of victim cars.

My engine sustained rms failure initially and i got the seal replaced.

Three months later - I stroll down to my garage to find this!

Needless to say, the motor needs to be replaced. Here is my gripe. Porsche is completely depleted of their full engine replacements as so many cars fell victim

The only option porsche has for me is a short block. The real negative with this is that all the ancillaries will be transferrer over and the motor is rebuilt. Whereas with a replacement motor you get everything brand new even down to the coolant pipes and fittings.

I did tell PCNA and my dealer that if they cannot provide me with a new motor why not give me an X51 PowerKit engine?

They said its not like for like and not possible, it only has different cams and throttle body airbox etc!

I confirmed they have the x51 are available - they will not give me one.

am i really at the mercy of my warranty company or can i force them to provide me with an upgraded complete motor from an x51?

One thing to consider is that a full rebuild is hefty with labor.

Short block $12k plus all the labor to rebuilt.
3.8 Motor $18k not available
x51 motor $24k

Obviously their exposure is all they care about.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images    
Old 07-02-2014, 03:57 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute. What exactly happened to your car before with the RMS? Just the seal was replaced? Did the seal just fail and leak oil out? If so this isn't a big deal. Just have the car flat bedded and the seal replaced. Why do you think the engine is gone? The IMS bearing doesn't just fail and destroy your engine while the car is parked.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:59 PM
betonred
Banned

Originally Posted by JayRace
Wait a minute. What exactly happened to your car before with the RMS? Just the seal was replaced? Did the seal just fail and leak oil out? If so this isn't a big deal. Just have the car flat bedded and the seal replaced. Why do you think the engine is gone? The IMS bearing doesn't just fail and destroy your engine while the car is parked.
it has been inspected and confirmed that the ims failed.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you elaborate on "out of the date range of victim cars" ? Does this mean you have a 2/05 or later build with the larger IMS bearing? Or that your car is earlier and over 10 years old, thus knocking you out of the IMS Settlement?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

what is your vin number? my condolences.

the ims 'failed' while the car was parked???
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 261 Posts

This is totally ridiculous, coming from a "high end" company like Porsche. Best wishes my friend. I completely understand your frustration.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think we were given all the pieces to this puzzle. Like Jay said, the imsb doesn't "fail" while sitting parked. There were no strange noises going on the last time you drove the car? Seems more likely that whomever replaced the rms screwed something up. You may want to get a second opinion on your engine, and have them check the end of the crank for damage that the dealer may be trying to hide from you. Very easy to blame a screw up on an imsb failure. I'm sure this wouldn't be the first time. That's what everyone is waiting to hear as a diagnoses, so just say it and they will believe it.

Also, there is nothing wrong with replacing the engine with a short block from Porsche. It will be a fully rebuilt factory motor that just needs all the ancillaries from your motor transferred to the new short block. The complete motors they were selling for $18k were also rebuilt motors, I believe.

Originally Posted by betonred
I did tell PCNA and my dealer that if they cannot provide me with a new motor why not give me an X51 PowerKit engine?

One more question.

If you have an aftermarket warranty, why would you expect Porsche to give you anything? Your car is ten years old. Just work with your warranty co and have this resolved asap.

Good luck. Hope this works out to your satisfaction.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Sub'd, and, now, for the 'rest of the story'...aka, paul h
Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

This is not Porsche's problem (if the VIN info is correct). It's between your warranty company and you.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Also...how did they "confirm" the IMS failure. Who inspected it? The dealer that did the RMS service? They would need to drop the engine to make a definite diagnosis. It looks like an RMS leak not an IMS issue. Please post symptoms and sounds and tell us exactly what happened. If everything seemed normal when you parked it, and you walked into your garage to find this, you are likely NOT looking at a failed IMSB.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 PM
betonred
Banned

motor has been dropped, its not a debate and whether i had failure or not.

the purpose of the thread is for me to determine whether i should insist that i get a complete engine. i.e the x51 because porsche has depleted their standard motor inventory.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the "want" for the X51 if you're going to have to replace the motor, but no OEM or Warranty company is going to play along. As stated, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a reman/rebuild short block from Porsche. In fact, you'd be ahead of the game considering the mileage on the car.

What you might be able to do is request to pay the difference between the stock motor and the X51 as un upgrade. But honestly, as my friend put it, the X51 is geometric cost for performance... meaning the >$12,000 difference simply isn't worth it.

You're honestly better off getting your warranty to cover the failure with a short block, sell the car, and find a CPO X51. They're out there. I almost had my hands on one.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

So if you go with a short block option, what will be out of your pocket total expense?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by betonred
motor has been dropped, its not a debate and whether i had failure or not.

the purpose of the thread is for me to determine whether i should insist that i get a complete engine. i.e the x51 because porsche has depleted their standard motor inventory.
Well, sorry about that. I come from the 996 world and there are countless threads about IMS failures that turn out to be simple issues.

Its hard to determine from your post who you are fighting with...PCNA or your warranty company. If it's the latter, they generally have a provision in the contract that they get to determine the extent and scope of the repair. I fought with my warranty company when my starter went bad and all they would approve was a rebuilt one. I insisted on new, but in the end, they won. They know what they are doing to limit their liability.

If its PCNA and your Dealer I agree that they have no obligation to sell you the x51 for the same price as a regular motor, but I have heard from others that they sometime work things out as "good will" so don't give up. Just remember to ask nicely.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM
betonred
Banned

Originally Posted by utkinpol
So if you go with a short block option, what will be out of your pocket total expense?
my exposure is only my $100 deductible. the item is covered my my aftermarket warranty.
i just caugh wind that they are looking to just replace the bare essentials and might not replace the heads etc.

Quick Reply: RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!