Sponsored by:

997.2 Turbo S Cab: Child Seat issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 PM
ori_993tt
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Turbo S Cab: Child Seat issues

I have read every thread I could find on Rennlist re: fitting a child seat (forward facing in the rear seats) in a 997.2 Cab (2011)... and I am still unable to find an appropriate child seat that would fit right.

I have tried with both the rear seats in, and also removed the rear seat bottom, and back rest.

So far I have tried:
Diono Radian RXT http://us.diono.com/convertible-to-booster/radianrxt
Clek Foonf http://www.clekinc.com/foonf/

with no luck. Both seats are narrow enough to fit within the rear seat space, but I am unable to get them to be right/stable enough after trying for hours.

Any help / pointers to other child seats/instructions... would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the Recaro website
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 PM
gti2kids
Intermediate

Have you tried the factory child seats (see my avatar). I was told they would fit on all models, but I may be wrong.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Tymong
Track Day

You don't say how old your kiddo is.

I have a 3 and 7 year old.

I went with Harmony Dreamtime seats from Target in my 05 C2S.

They fit great with the back seats in place.

However, next time I am going to try taking out the bottom seat so they don't mess up the leather.
Not sure how that will work out.

Ty
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 AM
ATLDiver
Racer

Everything I've read said rear-facing isn't going to work but I've seen where a few have. I have a 3 yr old and broke down and bought the Porsche stage-2 seat, obviously it's front facing so that won't work for you. They do make a stage-1 but I don't see how it would fit.

I think you may have to wait until your kid is front-facing but try and find the older Porsche (Romer/Britax) built as it seems to fit much better. The stage 2 seat I have is safe and while it fits, it's tight and wish it was more solid in there. The cabs don't have a tether point (at least my '06 doesn't,) so the top of the seat has a little play it it.

My wife and I are fans of Britax seats but all the current ones are too big for the 911. Supposedly the older Boulevard line fit but you'll have to look on CL/Ebay.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:08 AM
ATLDiver
Racer

Default You have the stage-3 seat

Originally Posted by gti2kids
Have you tried the factory child seats (see my avatar). I was told they would fit on all models, but I may be wrong.
This is a booster seat as are the seats that the poster above me linked a pic on. When kids are ready for booster seats, there are a LoT more options for the 911. One shouldn't put their kid into a booster seat until around age 4 and even then it's height/weight appropriate. Not to be a nanny here but young folders need the harness due to their bones and muscles not being developed enough.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

As mentioned by Tymong, go pick up the Harmony Dreamtime at Target and try it out. You can always return it if it doesn't fit.

It works in a coupe but I never go to try mine in a cab. The cab is more upright, though, so it might not work. only one way to find out!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 AM
spender
Pro

The inability to put a child seat in the back of a cabrio was one of the deciding factors in why I got a coupe over a convertible. The roll bar interferes with any possibility of a tether, and the seat room in a cabrio is actually smaller than that in a coupe as well. When I asked my Porsche dealer, they said they do "not recommend" child seats in the back of a cabrio - which is official-car-dealer-speak for "don't do it'.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 PM
ori_993tt
5th Gear

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. My daughter is almost 2yrs old, ~23lbs. Looks like I might be giving up on the dream of having her sit front-facing in the rear seats.

Unfortunately she is not ready for booster seats just yet.

Willing to try putting her front-facing in the front passenger seat... but I am getting conflicting info from dealers about how to disable the passenger air-bag in my car.

Has anyone installed a child seat in the front passenger seat with an airbag-disable-kit? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 AM
gti2kids
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ori_993tt
Has anyone installed a child seat in the front passenger seat with an airbag-disable-kit? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
I had the dealer installed the deactivation kit for my Cayman due to the lack of a back seat. There's a part for your 997.2TT:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...tt2_childseats

So if your dealer is semi competent, they should be able to do it.

Anyway, I really wouldn't recommend putting a 2 year old in the front seat due to safety reasons. She won't remember it anyway :-)

Porsche's manual also says, always put the child in the rear seats (if there are any).
Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same dilema now. I did extensive search and besides Porsche Child Plus Seat looking to find out if there is an alternative that WILL fit.

For those who own the Harmony Dreamtime, is it a perfect fit ?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo S Cab: Child Seat issues