Sponsored by:

Thinking of adding Multi Function Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Thinking of adding Multi Function Switch

for my steering wheel. If you have it how important has it been to you in your daily driving? I sometimes find it distracting not being able to move through SAT stations, Phone calls or pushing button on the touch screen to do things while driving. Suncoast has it for $650 and dealer says two hours install.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 173 Posts

Funny you mention this. My car started off with a basic wheel. Previous owner had the multi-wheel retrofitted. I've now acquired a GT3 wheel and debating whether to move over the multifunction trim over or not as I think it's a cleaner look without the buttons.

As for use, I don't use it often ... maybe just the volume control but I think it's something you would get used to either way (with or without).

Not sure I'd dump a grand to get the upgrade especially since it's unlikely to add any value to the car upon resale. It's one of those things though ... if you have money burning a whole in your pocket then go for it.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 AM
toper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're thinking about it, then I'd say it's worth it. I LOVE not having to take my hands off the wheel (or eyes off the road) in order to do anything radio/phone related.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a necessity but I do use it often. But I still touch the PCM to change stations. I don't like the scroll& select. But volume/phone/iPod work with simple push of a button. I haven't played with all the settings so there may be easier ways to set it up without scroll &select.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM
danit
Advanced

Yeah on the don't like the scroll and select functions, but for phone answering and volume it's works well for that. It also lights up well at night too!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I added multi-function when I did my wheel upgrade (to add heated steering).
I absolutely love it and use the following features every single time or nearly every time I drive:

1) Volume control - to adjust volume of radio/dvd playback - song to song, as I've not normalized the volumes on my MP3's, commercials are louder than the talk radio DJs, etc.

2) Zoom in/out on the map display when navigating.

3) The 'programmable' (from a limited set of options) button - mine is programmed to 'blank the PCM screen'. If I'm not navigating, I don't need the PCM screen on - blanking it out removes the distraction and extends its life by reducing wear on the back-lighting and panel burn-in.

I don't use it to scroll through the PCM - for that sort of intensive work I like to not be moving, or use one of the direct buttons on the PCM.
4) On the few occasions I get a call, its easy to answer and then hang-up. If one gets a lot of calls, the slightly longer reach to the phone button on the central PCM area isn't that far, but for the 'I rarely get calls' crowd like me, not having to reach around and hunt with eyes off the road is nice. For making phone calls I use the voice activation system.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I use mine all the time. Had multi-function wheels in the last several vehicles we've had and I like it.

I find myself using the volume wheel all the time plus the phone pick up and hang up. I rarely use the screen transition button.

Now, whether it's worth the money--that's all on you.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I use mine all the time. Had multi-function wheels in the last several vehicles we've had and I like it.

I find myself using the volume wheel all the time plus the phone pick up and hang up. I rarely use the screen transition button.

Now, whether it's worth the money--that's all on you.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I added multi-function when I did my wheel upgrade (to add heated steering)
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question about your upgrade to a heated steering wheel.

I have a 2009 C2S cab. It's a 6-speed with the thicker XPA 3 -spoke steering wheel. I love the wheel, but would like to have multi-function controls and, if possible, a heated wheel.

The wheel I would like to use is this one:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=997s6spe2010

This was the standard wheel for 2010+ 6MT cars. There are several threads on doing the swap, and I realize I will also need a new airbag and possibly a controller. Per the Suncoast listing, multifunction controls are an option, but heating is only an option if your car came with a heated steering wheel.

Minok - what year is your car, what type of transmission do you have, and which wheel did you use for your upgrade? Did you have any problems with the install, or did the dealer do it?

Thanks.

Kit
Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kcheves
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question about your upgrade to a heated steering wheel.

I have a 2009 C2S cab. It's a 6-speed with the thicker XPA 3 -spoke steering wheel. I love the wheel, but would like to have multi-function controls and, if possible, a heated wheel.

The wheel I would like to use is this one:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=997s6spe2010

This was the standard wheel for 2010+ 6MT cars. There are several threads on doing the swap, and I realize I will also need a new airbag and possibly a controller. Per the Suncoast listing, multifunction controls are an option, but heating is only an option if your car came with a heated steering wheel.

Minok - what year is your car, what type of transmission do you have, and which wheel did you use for your upgrade? Did you have any problems with the install, or did the dealer do it?

Thanks.

Kit
Kit, this is EXACTLY what I did. I upgraded my XPA thick sports 6spdMT wheel and airbag to the $1200 heated and multifunction MY2010+ sports 6spdMT wheel. My car is a MY2009 Targa 4. So the same process should work. For the heated wheel, it is critical you already have heated seats (which would have been the prerequ. for order a new car with heated wheel).

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-function.html

For reasons I don't know: 1) The photos are no longer in the post (likely imageshack or some other hosting site dumped the content - never rely on a 3rd party to store your data, I guess), and 2) I cannot edit my own post there to correct for this problem. (does rennlist lock posts for the authors at some point?)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the link to your old thread. All I have to do now is explain to my wife why I need a new steering wheel
Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a custom steering wheel back in 2010 that already had those modules, and then this custom piece of junk broke in half. Only good part about it was its price - $700, so i moved it over to my stock wheel afterwards. It required piwis to activate those functions.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
spender
Pro

I love my multifunction steering wheel. It was on my "must have" list when shopping for my new C4S 997.2. For me, anyway, I would see it as a worthwhile upgrade, definitely worth the cost!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM
marriotm
Instructor

I have the multi function steering wheel, it is great and very useful. It was also a $615 option on my 2009 C2 PDK w/Full Leather Option. The window sticker reads "Multi-fnctn Strng Whl-Lthr-PDK".

I also have the heated seats option. I have no idea if I have the heated steering wheel. It is not listed as a separate option. Where is the button to activate the heated steering wheel?
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:31 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The heating steering wheel button is on the steering wheel (back side) behind the middle lower spoke.

Quick Reply: Thinking of adding Multi Function Switch