Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:38 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Really exciting. Our PCAOCR (Orange County California) has an event tomorrow. I'll probably take the Cayenne out. Sometimes I take the M5.

M5 just sits in the driveway. I know she doesn't feel loved since I spend so much time with the Pcar.

Big break / rotor job earlier this year.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Love the M5! What are the mods?

LS swap on that next? LOL.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:58 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

M5 is pretty peppy as is, about 412 bhp. Great shifting 6speed. X5 bushings is the only mod and a bit of ECU tuning a while back.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:07 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

It has really been raining her in Socal. It stopped for a bit and I went out to the garage to install the O2 sensors that came in the mail on Wednesday. Had to take off the cats but no big deal as I had just put them on a few days ago. They were not on tight. So the sensor post cat went on and plugged right into my wire harness. Then the before cat sensors did not have the same plug fit. The plug looked liked this:

Post Cat O2 Sensor plug

Well the sensor I received in the mail would not fit into this plug :

No match here!

So I thought they would both have the same plugin type but evidently not. So I called my parts guy and ordered the correct sensors for my car. I think they may have changed them in the 2006 to 2007 model years. Any event, this had put another wrench in my monkey. I'll pick up the oil pan baffle tomorrow and finish up that job along with filling the fluids.

I think this is the correct sensor.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, they have sent you the wrong sensor.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:55 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rikky001
Yep, they have sent you the wrong sensor.
Any idea why the two connectors would not be the same? Seems much easier that way.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:14 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I ventured out in the rain and traffic to pick up my oil baffle. Well when I arrived at the dealer, the baffle part looked the same as the one I took off my car. I asked the parts guy if this was the right part. He said that the part numbers match and it's the part I need. I had him check with a tech and I'll share the response I received. First though, I waited over 4 weeks for this part and to find out that it's the same as the part I have was quite unsettling. Now one of the RL folks advised me that the baffle I have is broken. Well it's not broken exactly. Here is the story..The 996 had an oil dip stick. The baffle was cut off in that top right corner specifically for that dip stick. Now the part was actually superseded so now this oil baffle will fit any of the 997 or 996 (even those with an oil dip stick). So I chose not to buy the new baffle as mine was in excellent condition. So I am going to install the baffle and oil pan tonight and wait a few days for the loctite 5900 to setup and then on Sunday put the oil into the car.

The top right is clipped from the factory that way. P/N 997 107 243 00
Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Any idea why the two connectors would not be the same? Seems much easier that way.
To distinguish between before/ after cat is my best guess.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Interesting and plausible explanation...
Another step closer to start up.

Wrote previously about the tiptronic fluid fill up. Just make sure the car is level and that you are in the temperature range when topping up. You need to top up with running engine, so make sure the car is sitting safe and be careful not to burn yourself, and make sure the exhaust gases don't kill you. The fluid level is critical up to 200 ml I was told by a Porsche master mechanic. Too much and the fluid foams, too little and it might overheat, both scenarios might/ will wreck the transmission after time. I changed my fluid 2 months ago, easy job at the end. Plan was to make some pictures but it was a too big hassle to crawl back and forth under the car with messy hands.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:57 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Rikky, oil is going in tomorrow. I think I will top up the transmission fluids. The transmission has only 25k miles or less on it. Will do a complete tranny filter/flush by summer or when I take the car to the shop to have them review everything.

I'll add coolant and water as well. Had to return some O2 sensors so may not be able to start her up til next week. I am researching what to use in order to clean the old oil pan loctite 5900 off the case and the oil pan. I used a razor to get the gasket stuff off but there are still some very small amounts of residue left. I heard you could use mineral spirits to clean it off?
Old 12-25-2016, 01:24 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
I am researching what to use in order to clean the old oil pan loctite 5900 off the case and the oil pan. I used a razor to get the gasket stuff off but there are still some very small amounts of residue left. I heard you could use mineral spirits to clean it off?

I just did an oil service today which included dropping the pan to inspect for signs of engine wear. Like you I used a sharp knife(surgical blade) to get the larger chunks of pre-existing Loctite off then scrubbed the remaining bits with a medium and fine brass brush to remove. Final touch was a rag with isopropyl alcohol. The oil pan's contact surface came out smooth and clean to the touch.

Engine Block after cleaning with blade and brass brushes.
Name:  P1040234.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  72.4 KB

FWIW, I used Drei Bond 1209 this time instead of Loctite... doesn't dry as quickly so I was able to take my time applying just the right amount of sealant.

GL getting your 997 breathing. Great thread.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:44 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I just did an oil service today which included dropping the pan to inspect for signs of engine wear. Like you I used a sharp knife(surgical blade) to get the larger chunks of pre-existing Loctite off then scrubbed the remaining bits with a medium and fine brass brush to remove. Final touch was a rag with isopropyl alcohol. The oil pan's contact surface came out smooth and clean to the touch.

Engine Block after cleaning with blade and brass brushes.
Attachment 1119800

FWIW, I used Drei Bond 1209 this time instead of Loctite... doesn't dry as quickly so I was able to take my time applying just the right amount of sealant.

GL getting your 997 breathing. Great thread.
Thanks for the info. I'll be cleaning it in the morning. I'll use the alcohol and I think I have a brush to use as well. Haven't tried the Dri bond but will check it out. Thanks much.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:28 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have a perfect oil sump plate that I removed when installing my deep sump. I PM'd you a price.
Do you have the oil plate cover plate? I saw one in your pics. If so let me know.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:42 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 S Project

Beautiful day in Socal today. Merry Xmas to all. Thanks for the tips on putting the loctite on the oil sump pan. It was really hard to get it to come out though. So I cleaned off the case and installed the new oil pan with a magnetic plug. I also added the LN Engineering oil adapter and new Mobile 1 oil filter.

Torqued to 7.5 ft. lbs. 37 ft. lbs for the oil plug.

I hope I got enough squeeze out.

I will wait 24 hours before putting in the oil. Hopefully my O2 sensors will come tomorrow. I just heard from Sonnen Porsche that they have to order the Junction box from Germany and will take a few weeks. No big deal as I'll put some electrical tape around the transmission connectors. Since parts are not so readily available, one might say that Porsches don't break down that much and that's why dealers don't stock parts. I know this would be wrong thinking though.

So I hope no leaks. We will see.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 S Project Comming

Went out to the garage this morning and saw some oil dripping from the oil filter and LN Oil adapter. Now I haven't put any oil into the car yet. This is probably just residual oil. However I pulled off the filter (it's a Mobil 1 screw on filter model 107) and also torqued down the adapter to the LN required 18 ft. lbs. I haven't filled up the oil yet so will see if anymore drips happen tonight.

There is another area that is dripping. It is a green fluid.

Where is this coming from?

Here is a look from the rear:

This looks damp to me, anyone seen this before?

Since putting the new oil sump plate on no leaks there in the last 48hrs. Just the oil filter/adapter. Should I have put some loctite 5900 on the oil adapter setup?

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming