Sponsored by:

Setting the date?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 04:28 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have decided to enter into this project. As we have learned, Becker has not kept the GPS linkage current because Porsches does not care about legacy systems. Any reasonable software engineer could write about 10 lines of code to solve this problem. In the meantime, we, as owners, have to resort to kluge jobs to make our cars function as they should have—and were originally engineered to do.

The only thing I was unable to do was to tell the clock to source its input from the clock, and not from GPS. Any experts out there?
I wonder if a firmware upgrade would be possible to correct this, if as you say, a software engineer could write a few lines of code to correct this issue. This is something a number of us would be willing to pay for.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:00 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ElferRS
+1

Fixed with the "unplug DVD power cable - set the date manually - plug cable again" method, worked flawlessly for many months, then a couple of months ago I came back in 2003 and, if I try to fix it, it reverts again to 2003 in a matter of minutes.

If I fix it in my garage (without GPS signal), it sticks for weeks if the car stay there... but then it reverts back the first time I go out with the car.

If I disconnect battery in my garage, date field is blank, but again it adjust to 2003 when I go out... well you got the picture.

I'd like to know what happened to GPS data about 3 months ago...
This is what happened.....

https://www.pcmag.com/news/your-gps-...ing-on-april-6
The following users liked this post:
babylonboots (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:11 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ElferRS
+1

Fixed with the "unplug DVD power cable - set the date manually - plug cable again" method, worked flawlessly for many months, then a couple of months ago I came back in 2003 and, if I try to fix it, it reverts again to 2003 in a matter of minutes.

If I fix it in my garage (without GPS signal), it sticks for weeks if the car stay there... but then it reverts back the first time I go out with the car.

If I disconnect battery in my garage, date field is blank, but again it adjust to 2003 when I go out... well you got the picture.

I'd like to know what happened to GPS data about 3 months ago...
In April 2019 there was a GPS Rollover event that caused our GPS units to lose time/date. This is the reason we went through this process to manually set the date/time.

There was a 10 bit Date Rollover event that occurred on Sept 18, 2022 which is a device programming issue vs the GPS system rollover. Apparently 10 bit timers were to overflow on Sept 18 moving everything back 1024 weeks or 19.6 years. Thus the reason our date went to 2003. Im guessing that when trying to manually set the date to anything after Sept 18, 2022 it overflows the 10 bit counter and it reverts back 19.6 years.

As an experiment try setting the date to todays date in 2021 and see if it sticks.
ElferRS (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 06:07 PM
ElferRS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911URGE
In April 2019 there was a GPS Rollover event that caused our GPS units to lose time/date. This is the reason we went through this process to manually set the date/time.
Yep, I did know the story until this part...

There was a 10 bit Date Rollover event that occurred on Sept 18, 2022 which is a device programming issue vs the GPS system rollover. Apparently 10 bit timers were to overflow on Sept 18 moving everything back 1024 weeks or 19.6 years. Thus the reason our date went to 2003. Im guessing that when trying to manually set the date to anything after Sept 18, 2022 it overflows the 10 bit counter and it reverts back 19.6 years.
OK, that's the missing bit. Thanks!

Next question: why date is automatically set to 2003 even when it's blank? Until last year, before learning about the unplug method and set the actual (2021) date, my date field was just blank all the time.
But if I disconnect the battery now (or pull PCM fuse), the date is set to 2003 as soon as PCM can receive GPS signal (ie. as soon as I leave my garage), while before September it was just blank if I didn't set it manually.

Such a shame Porsche does not fix it...

As an experiment try setting the date to todays date in 2021 and see if it sticks.
Interesting, I will try next time I take the car.

Last edited by ElferRS; 12-07-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:59 PM
ElferRS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 911URGE
Update: I tried to set to today's date in 2021 or even in 2003, but as soon as I go out with the car and there is GPS signal, it reverts back to 05-08-03 or whatever
Old 12-22-2022, 11:12 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts

This is the problem with infotainment systems that were designed/engineered almost 20 years ago (hence why they're reverting back to 2003). Computers were never intended to last this long, and our PCM's are essentially that, an old computer.

I consider us very fortunate that Porsche has undertaken the PCCM+ project for Classic Porsche's. I can assure you, I will be buying one for my 997.1 at the first available opportunity. Porsche is the only manufacturer that I'm aware of that is dedicating the time, money, and resources to bring something like this to market for their cars. While the date thing is frustrating (it's happened to my car too), I'd highly recommend the PCCM+ when available if you plan on keeping your car for any length of time.
The following 2 users liked this post by G.I.G.:
E39Nutz (12-23-2022), ElferRS (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 10:00 AM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Y2K
Old 12-23-2022, 01:14 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
This is the problem with infotainment systems that were designed/engineered almost 20 years ago (hence why they're reverting back to 2003). Computers were never intended to last this long, and our PCM's are essentially that, an old computer.

I consider us very fortunate that Porsche has undertaken the PCCM+ project for Classic Porsche's. I can assure you, I will be buying one for my 997.1 at the first available opportunity. Porsche is the only manufacturer that I'm aware of that is dedicating the time, money, and resources to bring something like this to market for their cars. While the date thing is frustrating (it's happened to my car too), I'd highly recommend the PCCM+ when available if you plan on keeping your car for any length of time.
I am with you. Have my name on the waitlist for one.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:37 PM
ElferRS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by G.I.G.

99% agree with you but... other manufacturers, while not spending time and money in developing a new PCCM+, maybe put at least some $10 to write a firmware fix for the current unit.

BTW, PCCM+ is very intriguing and very tempting, but I don't understand if Sport Chrono's stopwatch is still supported via PCCM...?

Last edited by ElferRS; 12-23-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2022, 01:34 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,713 Posts

I keep seeing title to this Thread. Wondering if Wedding Date has been set yet??

swish77 (04-03-2024)
Old 08-13-2023, 07:08 PM
baresi
1st Gear

Default Date goes back again…

Hello all,
tried it today and on first moment I thought cool it works and I was able to set the date manually.

Then I plugged the dvd cable back, checked it again and see… the date is back to 28/12/2003 😕

Anyone experience the same? Am I doing something wrong?

Thx.

Originally Posted by motosport3
Thanks for this. I was able to do this and for anyone trying this it is the cable on the back upper left side of the dvd that you loosen. There is a clip on the plug to loosen the wire. There is also another cable on the upper right and I tried that initially and it wasn’t the one. Years later and finally a fix!!
Old 04-01-2024, 06:15 PM
Gg9591
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worked on 2006 Carrera

I unplugged the power on the dvd using two flathead screw drivers to push in the side tabs and partially pull out the plug which has the two multi colored wires connected to it. Try not to pull it out all the way since it may be hard to plug it back in. I stuck a flashlight from the side to see the side tabs and pushed them in with the screwdrivers and rocked it out partially. Once the date is set, just push the plug back in with a screwdriver. The plug is to the left of the dvd and second from the left. Thanks for the info. Good no luck.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:20 PM
Gg9591
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gg9591
I unplugged the power on the dvd using two flathead screw drivers to push in the side tabs and partially pull out the plug which has the two multi colored wires connected to it. Try not to pull it out all the way since it may be hard to plug it back in. I stuck a flashlight from the side to see the side tabs and pushed them in with the screwdrivers and rocked it out partially. Once the date is set, just push the plug back in with a screwdriver. The plug is to the left of the dvd and second from the left. Thanks for the info. Good no luck.
By the way, you will need a long,thin-necked screwdriver to reach the tabs.

Quick Reply: Setting the date?