Sponsored by:

Well, That Was Exciting

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:30 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Well, That Was Exciting

Decided to change the oil on the C2S this morning. I usually back it up on ramps to make access easier. I know some think that you can’t get all the oil out when the car is at an angle, but I don’t see that as a big problem.

Anyway, I’ve used ramps for years with various cars with no issues. My previous Porsche was a C4S and the all-wheel drive made it very simple to get either the front or rears up on ramps. The current C2S with PDK is a bit trickier as the power delivery at very low speeds can be a bit unpredictable.
So I’m backing up onto the ramps feathering the throttle and get about half way, at which point it stops. Should have gone forward off the ramps and tried again with a bit more speed – but no, I give it more throttle while still on the ramps. The tires had more grip on the ramps than the ramps did on the garage floor, both ramps shoot forward toward the front wheels and the rear wheels plop down on the garage floor with the front end slightly raised. The front of the car was supported by the rocker panels sitting top of the ramps. Fortunately they are plastic ramps and didn't damage the car. I jacked up each side and pulled the ramps out.

Car is fine. Owner is a bit shaken but wiser. I will now use the “back it out over the slope of the driveway” method for oil changes.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 262 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I took a **** when the car hit the ground. Thank god I was using the ryhno plastic ramps. Now, I just lift each corner a little and slide a piece of wood under each rear tire. You don't need much ground clearance to change the oil.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:01 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For an oil change a couple of pieces of 2x10 make great "ramps".
Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

If you haven't reviewed this thread, suggest you do as it addresses issues with reversing a PDK-equipped car. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...questions.html
Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is the fundamental problem with the plastic ramps - they are not anchored and on smooth concrete or exposed aggregate they slide off. Similar issue with a VW New Beetle and its 2.0L 4cyl engine.. its the ramps not the car, that are the problem.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Jeeeeeeez! Quite a ride I imagine!

For some reason we seem to have an abundance of doorway entry mats in the basement from over the years. They have the rubberized bottom. Anyway, I always place these down under the ramps to give them a good non-slip surface. But as most have stated, simply raising slightly with a jack or putting blocks of woods under the wheels suffice just as well for an oil change. I only use the ramps for more involved projects.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the problem with the Rhino ramps is they have very small pieces of rubber that contact the floor. Very poor design. I rarely use mine. When I was pulling on to them with my RS4 they both shot out the front. At least the angle was shallow enough that the front bumper didn't catch as the car went down.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Oh boy! Nerveracking to say the least! Glad everything was ok
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM
jdogg2000
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing. Unfortunately my GTS landed on top of the rear ramps and I screwed up my side skirts on both sides. It was not inexpensive replacing them!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

And here I thought I was the only one with Rhino Ramp issues. I remember pulling the front end of my 500E Mercedes on a set of Rhino ramps and as I hit the flat portion of the ramps I hit the brakes but the car didn't stop! The ramps started sliding forward and I was watching the wall approach very quickly. I had to stomp hard on the brakes to get the rears to bite and stop the sliding, otherwise the house and car would have been damaged! Lesson here is to wedge 2 x 4's in front to prevent the sliding.

But as others have noted, the ramps have a crappy design and the silly rubber pieces are useless. I haven't used the ramps since that incident.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,204 Likes on 3,958 Posts

The little rubber squares bite a lot better if placed on the textured concrete of the driveway vs the smooth concrete of the garage floor. What I used to do before having a lift was to position the ramps with the rubber pads on the driveway concrete a few inches before the actual garage concrete, then back up onto the ramps. This way I was mostly in the garage working under the car and on a nice day, you get a better breeze that way Of course this doesn't help you if you have an asphalt driveway or having the car part way out of the garage is a problem. If the weather was bad, I'd do the 2x4 trick where I'd put a long 2x4 at the front of each ramp between the garage wall & and the flat backside of the ramp, then when I drove up, the 2x4 would keep the ramp from sliding out - still doesn't help with the potential of shooting the ramp toward the front of the car if you over-gas it though.

Glad the 991 came out unscathed though.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Been there done that with metal ramps, beached the car!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:10 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been know to jack up the car and then slide the ramps under the wheels as jack stands only. It kind of defeats the purpose of the ramps though.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I put 3/8" plywood to 3/4" ply to 2" x 8" x 24" long under all four wheels. This allows me enough room to access the drain plug with a low profile oil catch pan.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

After seeing numerous incidents with cars and wood, I will never use woood. Pick up a set of Race Ramps, or the like.

Quick Reply: Well, That Was Exciting