Sponsored by:

My 997.2 C4S saved my life!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:46 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Default My 997.2 C4S saved my life!

...ran over a copperhead pulling into the garage.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:13 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow those things just walk around in your garage?!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

Can you eat those?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Jake94526
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

time to move?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank goodness, I was expecting to see a photo of a crashed 997! This is much better!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Wow those things just walk around in your garage?!
I imagine they "slither"
Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a C2S, more tire pressure per area
Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you sure that's a Copperhead? The picture isn't that great. The head looks like it could be triangular but on the body, dorsally, I don't see anything resembling saddles (nor the characteristic reddish brown on the head, and the head scale pattern just looks off - I don't have my field guides handy but I didn't think that Agkistrodon contortrix had a two post ocular scales - only a large singular). If you cared, check the scales. A. contortrix will have weakly keeled scales and if you look at the ventral scales posterior to the cloacal/**** vent they should be singular in venomous snakes (about 80 percent of the time in your part of the world) and almost always a double row in non-venomous snakes, again in your part of the world. But I suppose it could be an intergrade, again, not having my field guides which would indicate ranges and subspecies, I wouldn't be able to guess. (Is that a light dorso-lateral diamond pattern in the picture?)

Too bad it was run over. I don't have any great affinity for snakes but they are beautiful animals and very good at what they do. If it was a Copperhead, and you had been bitten, about 30 or so percent of the time you get a dry bite (no venom, happened to me while not paying attention while radio-tracking turtles); if it wasn't a dry bite, well, I think there are only two confirmed cases in the literature of death from a copperhead bite (an old man and a child) - typically the area gets swollen and you get the symptoms of a mega case of influenza which takes about three to seven days to pass.

Oh well, hard to tell from a picture so I'll just assume it is as you say.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Are you sure that's a Copperhead? The picture isn't that great. The head looks like it could be triangular but on the body, dorsally, I don't see anything resembling saddles (nor the characteristic reddish brown on the head, and the head scale pattern just looks off - I don't have my field guides handy but I didn't think that Agkistrodon contortrix had a two post ocular scales - only a large singular). If you cared, check the scales. A. contortrix will have weakly keeled scales and if you look at the ventral scales posterior to the cloacal/**** vent they should be singular in venomous snakes (about 80 percent of the time in your part of the world) and almost always a double row in non-venomous snakes, again in your part of the world. But I suppose it could be an intergrade, again, not having my field guides which would indicate ranges and subspecies, I wouldn't be able to guess. (Is that a light dorso-lateral diamond pattern in the picture?)

Too bad it was run over. I don't have any great affinity for snakes but they are beautiful animals and very good at what they do. If it was a Copperhead, and you had been bitten, about 30 or so percent of the time you get a dry bite (no venom, happened to me while not paying attention while radio-tracking turtles); if it wasn't a dry bite, well, I think there are only two confirmed cases in the literature of death from a copperhead bite (an old man and a child) - typically the area gets swollen and you get the symptoms of a mega case of influenza which takes about three to seven days to pass.

Oh well, hard to tell from a picture so I'll just assume it is as you say.
Ok dude, what do you do for a living???? (radio tracking turtles?)

I like snakes too but I think most people just aim for them when they see them...
Old 10-04-2014, 12:54 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Ok dude, what do you do for a living???? (radio tracking turtles?)

I like snakes too but I think most people just aim for them when they see them...
Former professor! Ph.D. In Herpetology (study of reptiles, in my case Turtles). Point being, after years on this forum finally a thread pops up that I am actually qualified to post a reply to.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 AM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry, the snake was disposed of shortly after snapping the picture. I get quite a few snakes here. Mostly I don't mind them as I've seen the results of field mice in a cars ventilation or intake system. My neighbors German Shepard was bitten by a copperhead a couple of years ago. He thought this snake was a copperhead. I know they are usually not fatal bites but they are extremely painful and cause some awful tissue damage. I am certainly no expert so I would default to others. This snake was young, about 11 or 12 inches, has vertical slit eyes, and a lighter colored tail. I believe most local snakes with round eyes are not dangerous but eyes like this snake had are a different matter.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice kill
Old 10-04-2014, 03:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Former professor! Ph.D. In Herpetology (study of reptiles, in my case Turtles). Point being, after years on this forum finally a thread pops up that I am actually qualified to post a reply to.

Had something similar in my yard almost 10 years ago (hence the lousy picture). An eastern diamondback that was just massive. Called the alligator hotline which picks up reptiles of all stripes at no charge. The first guy who showed up said he "wasn't equipped" to deal with this thing". A more senior member of the team came 10 minutes later and was clearly excited. Rare to see a fully grown diamondback he said and estimated the length at between 6' and 7' and about 6" in diameter at the waist. He then added that "this is not the kind of snake you want in your yard". It was captured alive and transported to a local zoo.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So awesome!
Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Always something new to learn on RL. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Quick Reply: My 997.2 C4S saved my life!