Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel lock key disappearing after visit to dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel lock key disappearing after visit to dealer?

I'm just curious- Has anyone ever had their wheel lock key disappear after a visit to the dealer?

I had my summer tires replaced at the dealer a year and a half ago, and didn't drive the car much since then. But I just got winter tires (Tire Rack) and am ready to put them on but the wheel lock key is missing... I cannot think of anyone else who may have accessed it since then.

I've no way of proving it (a year and a half later) but I am scratching my head... It could have been accidentally left out, or maybe it was taken deliberately since there are 80 variants of the key so it would be plausible for an unscrupulous mechanic to take it to complete a set...
Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you by chance go back and ask about it? I would guess that they see enough of those to forget where it came from
Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
I'm just curious- Has anyone ever had their wheel lock key disappear after a visit to the dealer?

I had my summer tires replaced at the dealer a year and a half ago, and didn't drive the car much since then. But I just got winter tires (Tire Rack) and am ready to put them on but the wheel lock key is missing... I cannot think of anyone else who may have accessed it since then.

I've no way of proving it (a year and a half later) but I am scratching my head... It could have been accidentally left out, or maybe it was taken deliberately since there are 80 variants of the key so it would be plausible for an unscrupulous mechanic to take it to complete a set...
Dealers have a master set of the keys so I doubt it was deliberately taken. You checked the spot in the trunk where it is normally kept? Also, center console and glove compartment?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Linnm
Did you by chance go back and ask about it? I would guess that they see enough of those to forget where it came from
I only noticed it now- my last visit where the tires were changed was a year and a half ago. I'll mention it in passing though- I need to go there anyway to get a new key.

It's weird that for a $97k car, they can't print out the key# for you and add it to your instructions.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Dealers have a master set of the keys so I doubt it was deliberately taken. You checked the spot in the trunk where it is normally kept? Also, center console and glove compartment?
I checked everywhere twice- even side areas and under seats. Even pulled out some of the upholstry in case it slid behind! If it is in there, it will come out as soon as I buy a new key.

Quick Reply: Wheel lock key disappearing after visit to dealer?