997.1 won't go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM
machdown
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.1 won't go into reverse

Hi all,

So I let my dad test drive my car. Big mistake. We driving on the side street and he flew over a speed hump while breaking. The car made some bad noises but I didn't think much of it at the time. For the rest of the day I managed to drive around without putting the car into reverse. Later that evening when I was in a position to reverse, the car just wouldn't engage.

I brought the car into the service side of the dealer I purchased the car from. They had to fix the airbag light as it came on the day after I drove the car off the lot. I asked to check out the issue with the car not going into reverse and said there was a break in one of the shifter cables and that it looked fresh. He is telling me that I need a new shifter unit at a cost of $290 plus 3 hours labour bringing the cost to $750.

Does this make sense or does anyone feel there is a simpler solution. I would hate to have to spend so much money on a car that's 5 days old to me.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Speed bump or frost heave. That is Toronto and Thornhill, welcome to spring.
I doubt hitting a speed bump would bust your shift cable.
Dealer? Like Porsche dealer? Or where you bought your car?
How long have you had the car? Could this cable issue been an existing hidden problem.
Did your car come with a 30 day guarantee? A $750 repair for a two week old car? I would not reward the selling dealer with the repair. Perhaps a coincidence, but of course they are going to say it looks like a fresh break. Was there sap coming out of it?
Do you have a good indy yet.
Did they give you a part number? shop the part too. Though suncoast does seem to price them at 275-375...
call german Parts 416-746-0919. I have received some very fair parts pricing out of there. They may also have some indy recommendations for you.
How handy are you. I'm sure there is a cable replacement sticky in here somewhere.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM
machdown
Advanced

It was where I bought the car from.

I have had the car for 5 days now. My dad hit the bump pretty hard while braking. It even moved the muffler tip out of place.

It came with a 36 days certification warranty.

I dont have a good indy yet. They told me the price was 290 for the part and 3 hours labour

I'm handy but would rather pay someone 300 to install as my time is better served doing what I'm good at.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM
McCulla
Pro

I'm reading this sort of (sorry) sarcastically feeling like you may have hit the shifter cable break lotto (if that is what actually happened). Losing reverse is the best possible way for this to manifest, IMHO...mine broke on the way to work and stuck in neutral during a downshift, stranded. The price was close to what I paid.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

get a quote at eu autoworks/hunter motorsports as well...

i assume it was dark and your dad didnt see the bump until too late?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:26 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

shifter cables breaking are not uncommon .but dont be sad princess ....you sound like a son that is gonna give the bill to your father
Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem, while under warranty, and ended up being a simple ****er/cable adjustment. I remember them doing it within the hour.

So it might be worth a second opinion if someone tells you its something more serious.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Kelvin38
Instructor

Is your's the white 997 from VLCI?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Well five days. That does suck. But such is Porsche life.
Certification Warranty. That sounds like Tire tread, brakes, maybe engine and transmission coverage.
Find an indy, or get it fixed at your selling dealer. You have to get it done.
I'd start the indy search with this repair. It maybe your first, but not your last.
Welcome. We expect a wrap up, and some photo's.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:06 PM
machdown
Advanced

Yes it was getting dark and he was having too much fun.

Sadly i won't be giving the bill to my father. It's my screw up

Yes that's the white one from VLCI. I'm sure it was my father's driving that did it. I looked at him in awe after he hit that bump. It was rough.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I wrote a long post about the shady people at VLCI, and specifically about the car you purchased.. Maybe you have a different impression of them, but they flat out lied to me, again, and again, and again.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ked-a-c4s.html

Take it to Hunter Motorsport. Brent will help you out. You can tell Brent that Mike, with the recently purchased white 997 C4s referred you. He did the PPI on my car before purchase.

Do not take it back to Village.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

LOL, certification warranty? You mean it was certified, right? That is a Ministry thing, and not a real warranty. It means your car has passed the safety check.

Tires, brakes, suspension, etc. passed and should be good for 36 days. There is no warranty though.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion5.3.1.shtml

Safety standards certificate
A safety standards certificate is a document that certifies a vehicle’s fitness. You can buy and register a vehicle without a safety certificate, but you cannot put your own plates on the vehicle or drive it without one. Any inspection station in Ontario licensed by the Ministry of Transportation can issue a safety standards certificate, provided your vehicle passes an inspection. Many garages are licensed — look for a sign saying it is a Motor Vehicle Inspection Station.

A safety standards certificate is valid for 36 days after the inspection. However, the certificate is not a guarantee or warranty that the will stay fit for any period.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

And btw, your Dad is banned from driving the Porsche. LOL
Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Kelvin38
Instructor

Originally Posted by halo777
I wrote a long post about the shady people at VLCI, and specifically about the car you purchased.. Maybe you have a different impression of them, but they flat out lied to me, again, and again, and again.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ked-a-c4s.html

Take it to Hunter Motorsport. Brent will help you out. You can tell Brent that Mike, with the recently purchased white 997 C4s referred you. He did the PPI on my car before purchase.

Do not take it back to Village.
The car looked familiar and I was going to reference the thread from halo777, but looks like he's beat me to the punch. Did they try to force you into buying that extended warranty?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kelvin38
The car looked familiar and I was going to reference the thread from halo777, but looks like he's beat me to the punch. Did they try to force you into buying that extended warranty?
Yes, they did. That is why I am kind of wondering if this was a pre-existing issue.

I am also interested to hear what Hunter charges. I don't trust Village at all, so it wouldn't surprise me if the job is much cheaper at Hunter Motorsports.

Just to give a little comparison of what makes a great dealership...

I had a problem with the passenger seat moving forward and back within a week after I purchased my car from Toronto Auto Brokers. When I told them about it, they booked me in, and spent a few hours to fix the problem. There was no charge.

Quick Reply: 997.1 won't go into reverse