Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 -> Exige (bad idea?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:33 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade into a Cayman R. Great all-round street and track car.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 AM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Trade into a Cayman R. Great all-round street and track car.
Cayman's don't feel special to me. Driven alot on track and they are fun, just not 911 special.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
I'm 6'0 200lb. Think I might fit? No clue and still trying to get a test drive (somewhere?).

I don't think the evora has hit it's peak depreciation yet, plus I like the look of the Exige better.

My ride to work is boring, yes. I can't get the full fun out of my 997 that I enjoy on the weekends.
I am also 6'. I weigh 192lbs and fit with no problems in an Elise, so you should fit in the Exige which has the same ergonomics. The key thing is ingress and egress. Drop your butt in the car with your feet pointing away from the door sill, then lift them forward and over the doorsill. You can ease entry and facilitate exiting by placing your left hand on the rear portion of the door frame. Once your in it is OK in terms of space. Nonetheless, people would always ask me how the heck I fit in there.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:36 PM
porterror
Racer

Still looking for a test drive. These things are hard to find in the northeast!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Years ago when I had the motor handgernade on my vintage race car I added up the bucks and realized that for the price of racing twelve days a year I could drive a Ferrari 365 days a year. I had a Ferrari two months later. Today it is a 996. But I also started getting a track itch again. My solution is go karting. Nothing beats flogging someone else's race car...it all becomes about you as a driver...you either are faster or the fastest or something else. No trailers and garage space and broken parts issues. I show up at the track drive my butt and the wheels off, then get back in my lovely 996 and feel the pleasure of a great car all the way home. My two cents.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I've actually owned a 2010 lotus exige s260 sport and used company cars as daily driver. Lotus = loads of trouble and I had plenty with that car. The accusump valve broke twice, the crank shaft position sensor failed. Shocks in the front failed and were recalled. Build quality was questionable...exposed glue on the seat backs, found that out when installed harnesses. Wheel wells sand blasted because paint quality is crap..runs in the paint I fixed! Oh i had a random washer fall out the door which i had new clue where it came from. Pulled pannel off my self and had local lotus dealer check it out, he said this happens?? you know they consider water leaks normal? Needless to say I loved the car when it worked over course of my ownership. It is the most gorgeous car I ever owned.
But man oh man...
I'm so happy I sold that thing for a profit before the warranty expired ( they went crazy up in value ) bought myself my 4s and LOVE the build quality of Porsche
Now I'm extremely **** about cars but the lotus was the sexiest, most fun to drive but biggest pain in the butt.
Do I miss it? I love it and I hate it... it was the best looking car ever.
End a former lotus owners rant.

Btw the Porsche is faster at the track
Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

lotus is rubbish. don't do it.

drive it to see for yourself, and to erase the thought out of your mind.
you will know in the first minute.
get a 996gt3 if you want to track.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:22 PM
porterror
Racer

How you can say that....look at that face.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:23 PM
porterror
Racer

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
get a 996gt3 if you want to track.
Don't get me started on the inflated GT3 market...trust me. I would jump into one.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:53 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
I've actually owned a 2010 lotus exige s260 sport and used company cars as daily driver. Lotus = loads of trouble and I had plenty with that car. The accusump valve broke twice, the crank shaft position sensor failed. Shocks in the front failed and were recalled. Build quality was questionable...
I sold my Elise after 7 months: the A/C could not handle the heat & humidity in Miami, even after 3 dealer attempts to fix it. I traded it in for a Boxster S, which was a better all-around car and downright luxurious compared to the Elise.

Quick Reply: 997 -> Exige (bad idea?)