Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Behavior with the gears when Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

All very interesting responses, yet all mechanical related. Another possibility (probably unlikely) is a software, sensor issue. I've never lost power in my 911 (although the engine did once cut off approaching a stop sign at about 4 mph with no fault codes) but a sudden loss of power has happened twice in my Audi's. First time it was a mechanical issue and the second time was a bad sensor - both times triggering the CEL. Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 3,956 Posts

Try and recreate the problem by touching the brake pedal when trying to accelerate. The car software likely shuts down acceleration if it thinks you're applying the brakes. Another indicator for the brake switch would be if your cruise control cuts out intermittently since tapping the brake pedal would also cancel the cruise.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:19 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Petza hit on another symptom that happened with my car, the cruise would kick off without warning while it was engaged.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Petza hit on another symptom that happened with my car, the cruise would kick off without warning while it was engaged.
Thanks guys. I will try the cruise control and see what happens. By the way - what was the cost of changing the brake/clutch switch?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:41 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the switches DIY, but it was a pretty tough job because the access was really tight. Upside down in the footwell, and very little room for tools. It's a 5 minute job that took me well over an hour because I just couldn't make my hands smaller. There may be a DIY in the stickies. Do it yourself. IIRC, maybe $80 total (?).
Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McCulla
I did the switches DIY, but it was a pretty tough job because the access was really tight. Upside down in the footwell, and very little room for tools. It's a 5 minute job that took me well over an hour because I just couldn't make my hands smaller. There may be a DIY in the stickies. Do it yourself. IIRC, maybe $80 total (?).
Thanks McCulla!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:02 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Gotta love when your Indy sends this email after I dropped the car off. I guess the good news is the issue showed up for him

Tony,
Drove your car to lunch. Coming back, took off from a stop light, was in 1st gear at about 2k rpm, acted like I turned the key off for a second then came back on. No lights or stored codes. Scary!!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 3,956 Posts

Originally Posted by tlisotta
Gotta love when your Indy sends this email after I dropped the car off. I guess the good news is the issue showed up for him

Tony,
Drove your car to lunch. Coming back, took off from a stop light, was in 1st gear at about 2k rpm, acted like I turned the key off for a second then came back on. No lights or stored codes. Scary!!
Hey, at least he was able to duplicate the problem. More often than not, you drop it off, they check it out and say, "it wouldn't do it for me". Getting them to experience it is sometimes half the battle.

Did you try the tapping the brake pedal when accelerating to see if it felt like that on your way to drop it off this morning. That would help point to the brake switch.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Hey, at least he was able to duplicate the problem. More often than not, you drop it off, they check it out and say, "it wouldn't do it for me". Getting them to experience it is sometimes half the battle.

Did you try the tapping the brake pedal when accelerating to see if it felt like that on your way to drop it off this morning. That would help point to the brake switch.
Agreed - it was good to see that the problem duplicated for him. I did tap the brake, I also did the cruise control and it stayed on.

Quick Reply: Odd Behavior with the gears when Driving