Sponsored by:

Watch where you park

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Had exactly the same question. Why not the rotors? Still good that its "only" the wheels.
They only need the wheels to put on their lowered Cadi/Honda.

Who would buy a used set of PCBs?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 535 Likes on 318 Posts

you'd be surprised… there is a (small) market for this stuff.

Originally Posted by Minok
They only need the wheels to put on their lowered Cadi/Honda.

Who would buy a used set of PCBs?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:57 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Those thieves are idiots.

I would have left the wheels and taken the PCCBs. Easily worth at least three times the street price of the wheels, right?
Was just gonna say, they took maybe $4K of wheels & tires and left $8K worth of ceramic brakes??? Idjits!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Looks like it was dropped on the sump and lots of oil leaked out ?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

OP: Any idea where this happened? Makes me sick to my stomach!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:09 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Don't discount this....and I'm NOT saying this happened here....but people can and will do lots of things to their own stuff to make insurance claims when they run into money problems or debt (even high earners). I saw it many times, and with high end things too. People buy things they can't afford....even on a big salary. An expensive watch gets "lost" or stolen....diamond earrings get taken by cleaning staff, a high end car caught fire..... and a big insurance check get sent. That and reported losses on taxes.....This car appears to be in a parking garage at a medical facility with higher end cars, the thief had the lug key (plausible), and then wheels get taken. Its a small market for those wheels....
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL's would have made that a tougher and more time consuming job and maybe deterred it altogether....one bonus point for CL's!! Really sad to see that though! I fkn hate thieves!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:14 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keyed lugs aren't worth much in slowing something like this down. There are a number of general purpose hammer on keys that, in combination with a cordless impact, will take the keyed lug off almost as quickly as the other bolts.

Pulling wheels off a car is super fast. Pulling the PCCP rotors would have taken much longer even if the thieves even knew what they were.

I worry about the back end resting on the engine as well. Not sure what the liquid is from, other parts of the garage look wet as well.

Bringing wheels to the car and putting them on there is indeed likely to be the best way to minimize further damage. I would however not drive it until the PCCPs were inspected.

This doesn't scream fraud to me, since this car will need to be fixed one way or another in order to recover its value. Ultimately it's a hassle for the owner, with probably some out of pocket cost, and a cost to all of us who insure cars like this. OTOH no one was killed or wounded in a robbery, so this is actually the preferable scenario. In addition, this car doesn't look like it's owned by someone who can't figure out some other way to get to work. It's still wrong (grand theft in fact), but it's far from the worst kind of wrong.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Those thieves are idiots.

I would have left the wheels and taken the PCCBs. Easily worth at least three times the street price of the wheels, right?
almost spit my coffee out lol

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Think about this for a moment. That is a 991 Turbo S that had 20 inch Center Locks. First, you need special equipment and second, there is not much of a market for 20 inch CLs. Whoever stole the wheels, based on the fact that they left the rotors, probably did not do it randomly. No, I'd say this was a planned theft with a buyer for the specific wheels in hand.
Not all turbos have to come with CLs... how do you know what wheels were on there hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,206 Likes on 3,959 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScience

Pulling wheels off a car is super fast. Pulling the PCCP rotors would have taken much longer even if the thieves even knew what they were.
Not much longer, 2 he's bolts per caliper and the little screws holding each rotor to the hub. With an air gun, they would've come off as quickly as the wheels. Fortunately for the owner, they didn't really know what they were doing.

The other possibility is that it was Chris Brown's car (doesn't he have a black Porsche TT) and Rihanna or his current punching bag was teaching him a lesson.

If it was his, couldn't have been more appropriate karma.

Quick Reply: Watch where you park