Paint scratch repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:52 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Paint scratch repair

Looks like the wife's purse got me. For rock chips, I've used the Langka product over the years with great success. However, for a scratch like this, doubt it'll work as well. BTW, it's about 4" long, and is right below the left side rear window.

Recommendations other than a full repaint?
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did Dr. Colorchip and it doesn't fill in the rock chips. I guess I'm not doing it right.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:34 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Looks like the wife's purse got me. For rock chips, I've used the Langka product over the years with great success. However, for a scratch like this, doubt it'll work as well. BTW, it's about 4" long, and is right below the left side rear window.

Ugh, sorry to hear about this Joe. I'd give Dr. Colorchip a shot before visiting the professional...

P.S. I haven't forgotten about your 2nd key...

Originally Posted by malexgcab
I just did Dr. Colorchip and it doesn't fill in the rock chips. I guess I'm not doing it right.
Dr. Colorchip will fill in rock chips but it is an iterative process and will require letting each thin layer dry, then clean off the surrounding areas and re-apply/ dry / clean a number of times building up he paint. Practice and you shall be rewarded...
Old 06-16-2015, 02:47 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Does your finger nail catch on the scratch? That will tell you how deep it is and whether it could be polished out.

Always best to try the least aggressive approach first.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:59 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Dr. Colorchip will fill in rock chips but it is an iterative process and will require letting each thin layer dry, then clean off the surrounding areas and re-apply/ dry / clean a number of times building up he paint. Practice and you shall be rewarded...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for advice. I'll definitely try it.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:02 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMC2
Does your finger nail catch on the scratch? That will tell you how deep it is and whether it could be polished out.

Always best to try the least aggressive approach first.
Unfortunately, yes. I already tried cleaner and wax. Needs paint. Dr. Colorchip it be!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Let me throw in my 2 cents worth.

Someone asked but I don't see the specific answer - Does the scratch catch the back of your fingernail? I know you've tried some cleaner that you have but that entire panel is covered with micro scratches that would completely disappear with a polish.

Dr. Colorchip will not be a very food repair for that panel that catches the light like that. You are at best looking at a 60-65 percent repair of original. I did a scratch like that with Dr Colorchip behind my rear wheel as the car got hit with an oil pan. Even that low to the ground, with a panel that doesn't reflect light because of the angle, I can see the repair from at least 10 feet away.

Back to my other comment. Do you have a good buffer and decent polish? From your picture(and it might be taken before you polished it) that panel does not look like it's been polished at all.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:25 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're right, I cleaned and waxed. Did not polish. Took a lazy shot at it.

I'll break out the Porter Cable and polish.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:26 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

+1 ...cleaner and wax will not help. You need an abrasive such as a cutting compound and polish. Even if the scratch has some depth to it you can soften it and reduce the effect with a good compound and polish.
Below is an example of what you can eliminate with a good compound (zoom in for better detail - right hand side is untreated, left hand side done with BlackFire SRC compound which is a mild cutting compound. I understand your scratch may be deeper, but there are stronger compounds out there also.

Take a look at forums like autoggek and autopia which are great resources for detaining and dealing with these issues.

Originally Posted by Ezkill
Let me throw in my 2 cents worth.

Someone asked but I don't see the specific answer - Does the scratch catch the back of your fingernail? I know you've tried some cleaner that you have but that entire panel is covered with micro scratches that would completely disappear with a polish.

Dr. Colorchip will not be a very food repair for that panel that catches the light like that. You are at best looking at a 60-65 percent repair of original. I did a scratch like that with Dr Colorchip behind my rear wheel as the car got hit with an oil pan. Even that low to the ground, with a panel that doesn't reflect light because of the angle, I can see the repair from at least 10 feet away.

Back to my other comment. Do you have a good buffer and decent polish? From your picture(and it might be taken before you polished it) that panel does not look like it's been polished at all.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Ezkill
Racer

You're right, I cleaned and waxed. Did not polish. Took a lazy shot at it.

I'll break out the Porter Cable and polish.
If it's not deep a polish will knock it out. You might want to get a professional to look at it if you don't have all the right tools. Personally for something that nasty I wouldn't try it without a paint gauge. I'm not a pro I just polish my own cars and I have a paint gauge for that purpose. From the picture only the depth of that scratch doesn't look like it goes to deep. I'm hoping you have a good 5-6 mils of paint on that panel and it can be polished out.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you hide your wife's body?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:07 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used Dr color chip and it did not work worth beans. I'd have it fixed professionally.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Captsteve123
I used Dr color chip and it did not work worth beans. I'd have it fixed professionally.
Be prepared to be told that they have to re spray the entire panel and part of the adjacent panels.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:21 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

To me that looks like a repaint.

Just take the pics of why you're doing the repaint (scratches) and then just make sure it's done right...

Fear of getting panels painted for chips or scratches is plain silly, so long as the outcome is professional grade.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:37 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

I would try Meguiar's ScratchX

Quick Reply: Paint scratch repair