Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth Replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

turn it into a couch...or even better a bed!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:37 PM
CP911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo what happened to the motor? Can we get more details about the "high speed run" that ended your baby's life?
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Originally Posted by alleykat
$12,999 Obo
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-99...386?nav=SEARCH

$13,999 Obo
http://m.ebay.com/itm/08-Porsche-Car...999?nav=SEARCH

Maybe you need to get a quote from a different place.Labor should not be near $10k.
There's something odd about this seller - he posted into a a different thread and never really provided information that satisfied my questions. He takes cars, pulls the engines out and then ships the rest of the car over to Poland or somewhere. I don't understand the business model of how it makes sense to do this and why Poland needs a whole bunch of engineless 997s. He wouldn't provide the details as that was the "secret to his business" and the whole thing seemed very odd, at least to me. I'd have Raby rebuild mine if it failed, but it is a long wait and I have less than 50k miles - not sure I'd do it at 150k miles.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:40 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
There's something odd about this seller - he posted into a a different thread and never really provided information that satisfied my questions. He takes cars, pulls the engines out and then ships the rest of the car over to Poland or somewhere. I don't understand the business model of how it makes sense to do this and why Poland needs a whole bunch of engineless 997s. He wouldn't provide the details as that was the "secret to his business" and the whole thing seemed very odd, at least to me. I'd have Raby rebuild mine if it failed, but it is a long wait and I have less than 50k miles - not sure I'd do it at 150k miles.
Maybe they're creating poor man's Porsches over there. Fitting salvage VW, Fiat or whatever engines into 997 shells.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:11 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
I am very sorry about your loss, and also immensely impressed with your attitude.

The only thing that could impress me more is if you tell me you caught the exact moment of failure in a photo that now graces your avatar.

What actually happened?

To your question - If an engine replacement would cost $25k, I think my preference would be to sell the car for parts or a roller, and look for a 2009/10 997.2. The price differential between the 2 options may not be that great. Just my 2c.
For sure I have no pictures of the event when it happen. Was traveling a little bit over 130 at the moment. Didn't hear any big bang. Just lots of smoke and engine lights.. Am sure the Audi A-8 behind me have some picts. Have enough distant between us. Got a long oil slick on the road as I coasted to a stop and the audi slowly passing and waved.

Thought I just blew a air/oil separator again like before. When the engine guru told me the rod was on top of the piston. I know her heart gave out. I should had babied her with that mileages. But the long straight empty road and the Audi got the best of both of us. She said "I'm a Porsche. We can take on the Audi !!!!"

Saw all the engines on sale online and from dismantle yard. The shop even have one donor available. Just want to get some feedback to see if any body here have a engine transplant or replaced and was there any issue afterward. Thank you for the person recommending sharkwerk. Will try to get their opinions.

To all, A Porsche is meant to be driven!!! I may have gone overboard with my speeds... But those 140k miles are some therapeutic big fat grinning smiles miles.... Go out and enjoy your Porsche!!!! I'll be bach!!!
Old 10-08-2015, 12:35 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

As an accountant........(insert laugh)

1. What is car with as it sits?
2. What is 140,000 mile 997 with new engine worth?
3. How much you gonna spend?

Even if you decide to move up, it seems to me the value of Emily is clearly enhanced by the rebuild. Maybe the answer to question #2 is the impossible question. I know #3 is impossible.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can take the expense of a Raby 4.0 motor and wait period I would highly recommend it.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
If you can take the expense of a Raby 4.0 motor and wait period I would highly recommend it.
going there, doing that.

Quick Reply: Worth Replacing?