Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i create old-school tire look?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:41 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts
Default How do i create old-school tire look?

Hi all, looking to learn a few things about tires.

I absolutely love the old-school look were tires bulge out out and come up to the fender (see images below). And i cant figure out how to achieve that (the bulge not getting tire closer to the fender ).
So im assuming i will not be able to do that with 19 inch rims and need to go to 18 so there is more sidewall?
Along with that do i need to get tires that are much wider than my rim or its because of the design of the particular tire that makes that bulge on the side wall?
I would think i need to get a rim with a lip to get that old-school look as well?
Will Carrera IV rims work in your opinion?
Edit: i actually like Champion wheels, something like RS98 or RS171 much better but i think they come in 19 only?

Any words of wisdom and experience would be appreciated.

P.S. i'm working with 06 997.1 C4

Last edited by malahhaor; 11-16-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

You will definitely get a more "bulgy' look with smaller wheels and bigger sidewalls. To get the look above is probably a +2 plus size on the tire on a 17" wheel which may not clear the calipers. Also, it will not look that way unless you drop the car. The "bulgy" look is absolutely enhanced by the stance of the car itself. Last thing is when looking at wheels you need to get as deep a wheel as you can get. Regardless of the tire if the wheels are what you have chosen above it will not look right. You have to get deep wheels to come close to the look you are after.
So:
Deep dish 17-18" (I don't think 17's will fit BTW) wheels
+2 Fitment to get that really fat look
Lower the car.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:45 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Ha ha ha! That's old school getting the last laugh.

Your post reminds me of the guy in the gym who wanted to know how to get a body like a triathlete? Easy: Run! Bike! Swim!

In this case even easier! Zoom right in, write down tire sizes, mount on 16" Fuchs. Done!

Of course, your car will look silly. Precise handling will be ruined. But, on the bright side…. Ha! Had you going! There is no bright side! Buwa ha ha ha! Last laugh again!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah... I'm thinking 16" wheels and tires would be much higher profile. I can't math that far down right now, but you're going from 18 or 19" down to 16, so you'll be wanting to get even wonkier than the "Plus" math for tires and wheels. You're looking at 60 series tires... maybe 65.

Trick is finding a 16'' rim that is very wide, and a tire that is that wide and is a 60 series or taller. Probably a tough task to make it work on a 997, but you can play with spacers, etc, too.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:53 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

I think any smaller than 18", you'll probably not clear the calipers. I wouldn't risk going to a smaller rotor/caliper setup just for an old-school look
Old 11-16-2015, 02:43 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys, I thought that's the route i would have to take, but was hopping not to go less than 18. Don't know if it will clear, especially since i'm thinking of getting bigger brakes at some point.
I will be lowering the car, just dont know how at this point (springs or c/o).

chuck, you're evil, but funny.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:32 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

The wheels you show have a huge offset, meaning the rim "spokes" are set in several inches from the outside of the wheel. That's what Little Green was saying with deep rims. The two you showed will not accomplish the look you're after.

I don't know the older cars well enough to see if the wheel arches were stretched, and the wheels look very flush with the body. The cars look to be lowered. Those things all raise some concerns with potholes causing you to take out your fender.

There are free geometry calculators to help you with all this if you take a tape measure to your car and are very careful. See what you want flush with what. And make sure you do a quick calculation on suspension travel to make sure you don't damage the car after spending a lot of money on the look.

Looks cool though.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:11 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Ha ha ha! That's old school getting the last laugh.

Your post reminds me of the guy in the gym who wanted to know how to get a body like a triathlete? Easy: Run! Bike! Swim!

In this case even easier! Zoom right in, write down tire sizes, mount on 16" Fuchs. Done!

Of course, your car will look silly. Precise handling will be ruined. But, on the bright side…. Ha! Had you going! There is no bright side! Buwa ha ha ha! Last laugh again!
whoa. calm down there turbo. ur getting pretty worked over there...
Old 11-16-2015, 05:36 PM
poorshe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Go for it

17s will clear calipers barely with one weight height on Carrera but not S. I am running 235 55 17 in back and like the earlier look. I thought 17s would look too small but look better than 18s with 265 40s. It is a daily driver, only car, so not concerned about track times. It still feels/handles the same at road speeds and rides better on broken pavement and much quieter over coarse roads. I have sets of 18s and 19s but am not going back. That being said 17s are very hard to find. Gas mileage a plus too and less worry about pot holes
Old 11-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm pretty sure those fender arches are flared beyond what the street cars had naturally. The back maybe a 930 turbo flare but the front looks pretty extended.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:19 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poorshe
17s will clear calipers barely with one weight height on Carrera but not S. I am running 235 55 17 in back and like the earlier look. I thought 17s would look too small but look better than 18s with 265 40s. It is a daily driver, only car, so not concerned about track times. It still feels/handles the same at road speeds and rides better on broken pavement and much quieter over coarse roads. I have sets of 18s and 19s but am not going back. That being said 17s are very hard to find. Gas mileage a plus too and less worry about pot holes
do you mind posting a pic?

thanks
Old 11-16-2015, 08:56 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

fwiw, I like that look too - the tall rubber. I just dropped to 19s and I miss the look of the tires already and will probably have to lower the car to get it to look right - would help with the 18s too really. And I'm hanging onto my 18s - the Carrera IV wheels - I think they are really cool wheels, but probably won't give the look you want.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 PM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smaller wheels with fat tires (matte) on a wheel with a little lip should do the trick. Just don't go #hellaflush or #cambered on us. The "race look" and the "old school" look are pretty much the same.

Last edited by INCONEL; 11-16-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Back in my Saab tuning days, some of the local Saab guys would get the fat tire bulged look by....mounting fat tires on stock wheels. Looked great (if you were into that look) but the contact patch was compromised. Stock wheels were 5.5" if I remember right, originally mean for 195 widths, and some guys put 225s on them. Seemed like a quarter of the contact patch was curled up around the lip of the wheel!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

thank you guys for the info, really helps allot.
I think i am going to try and find something in 18 inch with a lip and try to get the tires looking right.

do you think 8x18 with 245 upfront and 10x18 with 295 in the back would do the trick?

Quick Reply: How do i create old-school tire look?