PDK lifetime?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 AM
kenza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK lifetime?

Hi everyone!

I have been reading the forum for some time now and learning a lot. Thanks everyone for sharing their knowledge.
I am looking to buy my first P car. Have been wanting one since I was 3 yrs old, like everyone else on this forum. I am mechanically and DIY inclined (have a lift and have changed clutches myself on my BMW). I am planning to keep the car for long, long time.

I was looking for a MT car but I stumbled upon a real nice red 2009 C2S with PDK and 40k miles. The question is: how long PDKs last and can a normal person maintain them like a MT?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2009 C2 PDK with 52k miles. It needs a PDK fluid change at 6 years or 60k miles, and I'm having it done this month. Since 09 was the first year of PDK we are only just now finding out how durable they are, as we've crossed in to that 7 year mark. I will say this, the fact that it really can't be repaired, but must be entirely replaced if there is a failure bothers me a bit. Had I known that before I bought the car, it may have swayed me towards a manual, or at the very least an extended warranty, just because a clutch job is a heck of a lot cheaper than a full pdk transmission swap, but I'm just going to keep up with the maintenance and hope for the best.

I've driven a lot of manuals and a lot of "sport shifting automatics" and I will say this--the PDK is an awesome transmission. It's fast shifting, engaging in a way most "automatics" aren't, and definitely faster than any human could ever row through the gears. I have not felt that feeling that this isn't a proper sports car because I'm not rowing the gears myself.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:05 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

I debated forever about the PDK versus manual. This debate will go on forever on this site and I do not believe there is any right or wrong answer on this.

During my shopping process, I must have spent several hours a day for several months/years trying to find the perfect car that could hit all the wants on my lists. I bought my 2010 C4S PDK 3 years ago and have not had any problems and am very happy with my choice.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:34 AM
kenza
Advanced

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Last thing I want is to start a PDK vs Manual discussion. I understand it is question of preference and I also understand PDK is faster on track

My question was oriented more towards whether I can maintain a PDK and have a long and happy life with it (as I could do with manual).

Unfortunately I am not a billionaire and live in a country where P cars are not widely available as in US. The car I stumbled upon would be perfect if it had a manual (but has a PDK).

So, I am only trying to make a decision whether I can live with it (without having to replace the entire PDK when something happens with it).

Anyone with high mileage PDK around here?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:33 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

It will be interesting to see how owners are maintaining their PDK in the next five to ten years. By that time all cars will have gone through their regular service schedules and any major problems and their associated costs, if there are any, will have revealed themselves.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 866 Posts

Chalk vs Cheese..... but... (what the heck, its the 'net!)

Interesting that Porsche has the fluid change interval for manual transmissions wrong at 120K miles. I had shifting problems including the infamous 1st gear jam at half that interval. All was fixed with a simple fluid change using the stuff recommended in my manual.

Anyone change PDK fluid early? Notice a difference?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-19-2015, 10:16 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I changed my PDK trans fluid at 19K miles in a car that was extensively tracked (12-15 track days prior). See pic of car on left.

Car has always performed flawlessly.

My understanding is that there is also a secondary fluid that can be changed on the differential side (mechanics among us please correct me if I am wrong)... I did not change this fluid, as I figured the fluid in the main gears mechanism (equivalent to gear oil in a manual tranny) WAS changed...and this fluid protects the major load bearing internals of the PDK.

I do not believe in 'lifetime fill' anything. It is just hogwash, as anyone with any understanding of mechanical engineering, materials engineering and fluid dynamics understands... parts and fluids under severe load wear, shear and become contaminated with particles, hoses and rubber get old. These things need to be refreshed.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:49 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

See https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rmal-or-3.html for more. PDK maintenance is not DIY. Requires PIWIS for some procedure.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

PDK Transmissions are incredibly reliable. There are cases of the transmission being replaced, but usually this occurs early in the car's life. (first few thousand miles)

That said, nothing is 100% reliable. If it does break, it's expensive to replace. (to my understanding Porsche won't repair PDK transmissions, only replace them.)

If you're ok with the risk, go for it. You'll love the car.

If you're a little worried, see if you can source an aftermarket warranty.

If you're the kind of person who would worry too much and not be able to enjoy the car for fear of it breaking, then best not get it.

FWIW, Porsche claims the PDK is a "lifetime of the car" part. There are far more cases of PDK cars with over 100k miles still going strong than there are of transmissions going out at 40k miles.

good luck with your choice.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:27 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Who's gone 100K on a PDK? Must be real drivers!!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Who's gone 100K on a PDK. Must be real drivers!!
Heh, my friend's wife just hit 160k miles on her C2S rag top. Not a single issue with the PDK.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:40 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kenza
Hi everyone!

I have been reading the forum for some time now and learning a lot. Thanks everyone for sharing their knowledge.
I am looking to buy my first P car. Have been wanting one since I was 3 yrs old, like everyone else on this forum. I am mechanically and DIY inclined (have a lift and have changed clutches myself on my BMW). I am planning to keep the car for long, long time.

I was looking for a MT car but I stumbled upon a real nice red 2009 C2S with PDK and 40k miles. The question is: how long PDKs last and can a normal person maintain them like a MT?

Thanks!
Welcome to RL. Since you like to DIY... cost of maintenance or replacement may be of interest. The PDK is a FRU, field replaceable unit, so it's treated as a black box = no parts available from Porsche to rebuild the FRU nor training for the industry(nor p-dealers) to rebuild these even if it's only an inexpensive electronic module on the tranny. We had a PDK failure reported on the forum last year. Cost would have been $14K but luckily for the owner of the car it was still under warranty.

Of course, it's just money so get what you want. Maybe consider an extended warranty to cover the big ticket items such as the engine and PDK. GL and post pics of the p-car you acquire.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Cysco
Heh, my friend's wife just hit 160k miles on her C2S rag top. Not a single issue with the PDK.
Kudos to your friend's wife! But I'm with Joe ..
A while back there was a post asking about high mileage 997s. There weren't what I would consider a lot. Caring for a 2010 C4S PDK with 67K miles (32K since I got it 15 months ago) I am happy to hear about her C2S. I hope it is not a statistical anomaly.

From my interpretation per this Forum, you are unlikely to have any problems. Unlikely does not translate to won't. So consider that you will assume some small risk of a very expensive repair. If you can't afford this, or if you need the car as a DD, then you may want to look further for an MT.

But MTs have failure modes too, and their maintenance costs in the long run, I contend, will be higher (new clutch at 60K miles > PDK service).

From another perspective ... Will the PDK be a cloud hanging over your shoulder that diminishes the joy of owning your car? I can't answer that for you. For me, I have grown to trust Porsche engineering. These are amazing cars in all aspects. I have trust.

I love everything about my car including the PDK. For me, the answer for your purchase is to go for it!

PDK or MT, you're on a fantastic path. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellence magazine had a article on the PDK. Their web site go to back issues issue 226. You can pull up the article. Especially page 3 on service & reliability.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:02 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that overtime, repair costs will likely drop from what they are now (replacements of entire transmissions only), as aftermarket entrants try to figure out ways to solve these problems for less than the cost of a new PDK. Just economics, but that horizon could be a long one...Be prepared

Quick Reply: PDK lifetime?