Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of us out there are daily/all season/all weather P car drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:59 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many of us out there are daily/all season/all weather P car drivers?

Just curious how many of you drive your cars daily, in the rain, snow, etc, and are not just sunny day or weekend warriors?

I'm asking because today I decided to take the car out to run some errands and check out a friends body shop for future work. When I left the house it wasn't currently raining at the time. I knew before hand that rain was in the forecast for today and the rest of the weekend, but took it out any way. About 10 minutes after I left the house, of course it starts to rain. I thought to myself "eh, oh well, no big deal, I've already left the house."

How many of you guys don't mind driving in the rain with the P car or other types of weather? For those who don't, what stops you from driving in all weather conditions?

My thoughts, at the end of the day it's just a car. Yes, it's an expensive one at that but, why spend all the money on this amazing machine and only enjoy it once in a while and not all the time?

What do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Troy997.1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my car when ever the chance avails itself. No matter what the weather (we don't get snow).
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Took a year to stop worrying about it so much. I now drive it every opportunity I get. Used it for airport run yesterday. Shopping at Costco on Saturday. Any conditions except snow and ice, but primarily because the MPSS tires aren't designed for those conditions, we don't get it often in Dallas, and when we do people drive like yahoos in the snow and ice. It is after all, just a car. But, what a car!
T
Old 03-04-2016, 11:17 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I only stop for snow and ice, but then I don't start driving again until the rain has had a chance to wash the salt off the road. It's one of the few times I wish for rain
Old 03-04-2016, 11:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 791 Posts

I've got Pirelli Winter Sottozeros on my 997 turbo cabriolet. I have no problems with taking it out in any weather conditions.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:57 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Rain? Seriously? I don't understand the bozos who wont take their car out if it might rain

Hell I drive all year. Just dug it out from 10cm of snow this morning

Its not a collectors item (well at least mines not)

I don't know anyone who parks their expensive Merc for the winter. Life's too short
Old 03-05-2016, 12:06 AM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Rain? Seriously? I don't understand the bozos who wont take their car out if it might rain
That's why I ask. A lot of people don't drive unless it is sunny or dry out and only in spring and summer time. I'm just curious, why? To keep it looking pristine and in amazing condition? I have no idea. I'm not one to have a garage queen.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:16 AM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently do not, but I've been thinking about it more and more. It's damn practical as a daily compared to other coupes.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:46 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 233 Posts

Only car, but live downtown. Will regularly take it over the mountain passes with Sottozeros. Its a car, needs to be driven. Not saying I don't treat it well, but there is a limit.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:15 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Ya' know, the OP is spot on, it is just a car. But here's the thing, I almost never, ever drive mine in the rain. My DD is an Audi A4 and this car is just better than the 911 for wet weather driving. (And to be fair, in CA wet weather driving is only various times between December to April (give or take couple of week or so), and it is usually chilly enough such that the tires are hard as rocks and perform like crap. So I typically drive the safer car (not to mention the one I would care least about if it were involved in a wet weather accident).)
Old 03-05-2016, 02:19 AM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My 09 991 S is a daily driver. All weather, all situations. I put 9k mikes on it since last June. Driving in rain and snow separates the good drivers from the bad. My first Porsche by the way. I looked at Maserati Gran Turismos, Quattroportes, had BMW's, but wanted the most durable and practical sports car to use as a daily. Hence the 911.
Cheers, David
Old 03-05-2016, 02:29 AM
winthorp
Intermediate

I use my 4 GTS as a daily driver commuting to work, dropping off my 8-year old son at school and for spirited drives on the weekend. We live in the Seattle area and almost never get snow. Even winters are quite mild (except for the constant drizzle...). If it does snow then my wife and I will take our Subaru Outback.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:32 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to disagree guys, but its not 'just a car'. Its a Porsche. And that is the reason you drive it in the rain! Everything outstanding about the way the car performs in the dry, double it in the wet. To paraphrase Achleitner, you are sovereign. Of course you still wash it once a week rain or shine. I couldn't even begin to count the times I've washed mine in the rain, so that I had to roll it in the garage to towel it off, knowing that we were going out that night… in the rain! Not something one is likely to do with 'just a car'.

Granted a lot of people have a hard time getting comfortable with driving in the rain. At all. In any car. But once you do, no better car to be doing it in.

^^ Goes double in snow.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:44 AM
Chowbow
Advanced

Bought the car intending to daily drive it. I do have an electric car to take advantage of the carpool lanes here in CA for my commute, but don't always drive it. My last car I kept pristine, out of the rain, etc. What a waste of a car. Kept it nice for the next guy.

I drive mine regardless of weather now, although it doesn't snow here. I won't keep the car nice for the next guy again. Drive it everywhere and redline it a few times a day. Let the car depreciate in value from all the miles, but have fun putting the miles on.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use this for the ugly stuff.

Name:  Cayenne%20Turbo%20copy.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  266.3 KB

Quick Reply: How many of us out there are daily/all season/all weather P car drivers?