Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want to punch other Porsche drivers in the face?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:46 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Do you want to punch other Porsche drivers in the face?

Just my personal observation a bit on the forums but also in real life. What's your take?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:55 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

This is a 996 topic.

Punch in the face is a strong term.

As far as driving habits - no - not really. BMW drivers mostly are the pain (and I admit I own a BMW also). The BMW drivers tend to be aggressive. The Porsche drivers come in 2 flavors - the water cooled - who drive above the speed limit and speed past - but aren't aggressive like the BMW drivers, and the air cooled drivers who putter along so every one can see them.

Now as far as the forum personalities -

air cooled guys are generally jerks who pop up from time to time just to say nasty things about other peoples rides

997 guys - who I think of like a post here - they grasp sarcasm like Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang - but generally nice guys

996 guys - who are the most helpful I have found on many forums - all tend to be a little unhinged

991 guys - really just want to make sure their car is clean and colors don't clash
Old 03-20-2016, 03:25 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost every Porsche guy I meet in town is really friendly and wants to talk cars. My kind of people. Sometimes you get back what you are putting out.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:28 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only that old guy from the 996 forum that bought a 997 and continuously complained about it. That guy could have used a swift kick down south (or three...or five).
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Seems like it isn't so much the M BMW drivers, its usually the guy in the 323/325/328 with the M badge and M license plate frame that drives like he owns the road.

Seems like a lot of 911 guys either drive 10 miles under the speed limit (not trying to prove anything) or drive in the fast lane with everyone else. Usually when they get on it, it is for a short period.

I have found myself doing similar things since I got the car.

As far as the rest of "porsche" drivers, who cares, if its not a 911 (or maybe a Caymen) its not a "porsche" to me. (I don't drive a porsche to drive a porsche, I drive a porsche to drive a 911, or maybe a GT4, same as when I had the M3, I didn't drive BMWs to drive a BMW, I only had a BMW because they are the ones that make the M3. I couldn't care less about the rest of the BMW line).

Originally Posted by dgjks6
This is a 996 topic.

Punch in the face is a strong term.

As far as driving habits - no - not really. BMW drivers mostly are the pain (and I admit I own a BMW also). The BMW drivers tend to be aggressive. The Porsche drivers come in 2 flavors - the water cooled - who drive above the speed limit and speed past - but aren't aggressive like the BMW drivers, and the air cooled drivers who putter along so every one can see them.

Now as far as the forum personalities -

air cooled guys are generally jerks who pop up from time to time just to say nasty things about other peoples rides

997 guys - who I think of like a post here - they grasp sarcasm like Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang - but generally nice guys

996 guys - who are the most helpful I have found on many forums - all tend to be a little unhinged

991 guys - really just want to make sure their car is clean and colors don't clash
Old 03-20-2016, 04:03 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 158 Posts

Here are the BMW drivers I want to punch:
'R compound are not street legal guy'
'Ill interrupt you to tell you about the stuff I'm going to do to my car but haven't gotten around to it guy'

Every guy I have talked to who bought his Porsche used has been awesome.
Every guy I have talked to who bought his Porsche new has been a ***** (besides the two 981 owners).
Old 03-20-2016, 04:50 AM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do you want to punch a lot of people in the face in general? The problem might be you.

I haven't met enough porsche owners to form a good opinion, but i wouldn't say so based on my experience here.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:45 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I found out by empirical studies that Porsche ownership is not the main factor deciding a persons character.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 AM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just the Panamera guys who drive around town with their spoiler up 24/7.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marvinta
Almost every Porsche guy I meet in town is really friendly and wants to talk cars. My kind of people. Sometimes you get back what you are putting out.
I've met some great people at the racetracks - seem to be the majority of the enthusiasts and i've met a few great owners in town and in neighboring towns along this coast.

A few snarky bastards on this forum especially and then you have the whole wine and cheese thing - what the hell is that?

Most have been fantastic people. Suppose every crowd has a few dorks.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by nwGTS
BMW M car meetup - YouTube
'Ill interrupt you to tell you about the stuff I'm going to do to my car but haven't gotten around to it guy'

Every guy I have talked to who bought his Porsche new has been a ***** (besides the two 981 owners).
In all honesty Nick Murray seems to be trolling them in that video - "were you drunk when you picked that" - mean comment.

Interesting observation on the amount of money spent to get the car measuring the amount of douchebaggery lol. I've actually never discussed this with anyone.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
BMW M car meetup - YouTube

I think those bmw guys seem fine IMO. I hate guys with cars they find to be superior over Hondas and subarus and Mazda and refer to such owners as a lower class in anyway.... Term ricers comes to mind. When I hear a looser in a superior car (or even higher model like a 997 to a 996 owner) put down a lesser car (in there mind) I want to choke them out....
Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only people that work my nerves are the Porsche people who associate only with Porsche people; they only care about Porches; they take no interest in anything else, and they are generally a bore. They're not mean or anything; they're just incapable of being car people.

I still want to punch one guy in the face, because he is a douche, who happens to drive a 997, but he's probably a douche by nature.

He was Mr Track Mods who appears to have never driven on a track or driven the car hard anywhere, and from what I could tell was about to see his life change drastically with the arrival of twins, so was probably upset his Red 997 with Aero w/ very expensive and enlarged/upgraded brakes would be taken away from him by the reality of his situation... one which was his wife running his life and his inability to see past the next 25-30 years of his submission-to-wife-life... with 25-30 years being the time which must pass before he could sniff another Porsche... and I'd feel bad for him if he weren't such a douche.... but he's a douche, so I don't.

Never met such a tool in my life.

He's quite a frail, tidy thing, so from where I am from, I'd probably just bitch slap him. Punching him elevates him to a status he doesn't deserve.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I think those bmw guys seem fine IMO. I hate guys with cars they find to be superior over Hondas and subarus and Mazda and refer to such owners as a lower class in anyway.... Term ricers comes to mind. When I hear a looser in a superior car (or even higher model like a 997 to a 996 owner) put down a lesser car (in there mind) I want to choke them out....
Ok I think you pretty much nailed it. And I see it way more often when i'm not in my 911.

Two recent instances while driving my 2016 Shelby GT350 for example - I complimented some nice 997 cars, it was clear both owners thought they were a lot higher on the food chain....comical.

Also agree those BMW owners in the video seem like nice people, now that I think about it isn't Nick Murray the lemon porsche owner? So now I see he went to that BMW meet with sort of an arrogance to make fun of them - one or two of the BMW owners sensed it immediately I think.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:43 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
The only people that work my nerves are the Porsche people who associate only with Porsche people; they only care about Porches; they take no interest in anything else, and they are generally a bore
There are other car companies that make sports cars? I don't think so. And as far as I'm concerned the only real Porsche is the 911. The rest are just pretending.

Quick Reply: Do you want to punch other Porsche drivers in the face?