Recommended tools for DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:51 PM
raviis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recommended tools for DIY

Hi -

I am planning to start my first DIY, engine oil, air filter change.

The one option I could see was a Porsche part no - 955 044 001 00 for 425$ on Suncoast website.

Is there a cheaper alternative for a tool set that could help me do my DIY? I plan to do my oil change, plugs and slowly start doing break pads etc.

Thx in advance for suggestions.

Ravi

PS: Don't start yelling, I couldn't find any recommended tool kit posts via the 'search forum'
Old 04-08-2016, 07:14 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there are too many good tool companies out there to make a recommendation based on your post , but a trip to Sears or home improvement store will yield what you need for an oil change. you are looking for a metric socket set and ratchet, and a set of screwdrivers and torx drivers. That will cover the simplest DIY tasks.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dude i will not yell .....but seriously....have a shop do the work
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

See post #8 here
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nch-break.html
Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy has a nice overview of some basic maintenance stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCb...Ueza_vkdGn9-cg
Old 04-08-2016, 10:41 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandS52
there are too many good tool companies out there to make a recommendation based on your post , but a trip to Sears or home improvement store will yield what you need for an oil change. you are looking for a metric socket set and ratchet, and a set of screwdrivers and torx drivers. That will cover the simplest DIY tasks.
Add a torque wrench and oil filter wrench for oil changes. My car is lowered, but I think for normal height you can do it without raising the car.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:18 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil change is very easy. For a 997 you will need a filter wrench and a short 8mm hex key socket. I haven't found a good 3rd party filter wrench, you might want to bite the bullet and buy one from Porsche. I have had bad results with the "twist-grip" style torque wrenches and prefer a simple Craftsman beam type ($25) when access is easy, or a strain gauge type ($$$) when access is tight.

Remember to pour slowly when you refill the crankcase with oil. The fill tube can suddenly overflow and make a mess of your pristine engine compartment. Don't ask me how I know this.

My 997 is lowered and I use two low profile 6qt drain pans instead of one big one. I find the smaller pans easier to drain later too.

$25 for 5qt Mobil 1 at Walmart means you should change your oil often!

When you buy the filter wrench at Porsche be sure to buy a few spare drain plugs and crush washers--they're surprisingly cheap. Skip the plugs and washers if you already have a steel or magnetic drain plug. I prefer the stock aluminum plug since the steel plug will probably strip the threads in my oil pan.

Use a snap blade box cutter to remove the ends of the old filter cartridge so you can inspect the tiny shiny metal bits you will find in the media folds. Use a magnet to see if the bits are ferromagnetic--hope they are not.

I refill with 7qts of 0w-40 then add oil in 200cc increments until the "dip stick" reads four bars full. Go for a short drive to refill the new filter. Now the oil level should read three bars. Add 200cc once or twice to get the level back to four bars full.

The filter canister will drip from the threads. Wipe it off. Clean the oil pan around the drain plug so any new drops of oil that form can be seen easily.

Done. Enjoy your noisy exhaust and quiet lifters!

Quick Reply: Recommended tools for DIY