Gloss black PORSCHE and 911S emblems install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Gloss black PORSCHE and 911S emblems install

Busy day with my car.

I had seen some people with the PORSCHE emblem on their cars and real liked it.

Started thinking it would look good in gloss black, and as I continue to look at the 911R, I decided that I would do the PORSCHE and instead of the script, use the old school block lettering. Problem is that those only come in flat black and the tabs.

Dremel the tabs and paint the emblem gloss black, add some 3m emblem tape and follow the rest of the instructions people have given on this site (huge help, I used both, along with some of my own ideas)

The PORSCHE is actually not the 991 version, but comes on panamera, macan, and I think the gt4 and others. Same size but different profile.

Since I was in the mood to work on the car, I decided to do my other projects too. Black tips and plasti the center (diffuser) area.

The lining up of the letters isn't as easy as one would think, but I wanted to get it perfect. Here are some pics.

The following 2 users liked this post by rodH:
Dpmarc (09-20-2020), EMC2 (09-19-2020)
Old 04-10-2016, 01:38 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

These are the DIY I used, thanks guys!!! I used some of both techniques combined with my own.

https://rennlist.com/g/album/3372540

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/877445-rear-deck-p-o-r-s-c-h-e-emblem.html
Old 04-10-2016, 02:43 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Sickness!!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:08 AM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, was thinking about doing this & how it would look... Porsche is the only car where guys want to add the brand badges most our cars get debaged👍
Old 04-10-2016, 11:33 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Some like emblems, some don't....

Some like retro, some modern....

Then there are the few who like the intersection of retro and modern!

Nice job, if I would have thought of it, I would have done the same!
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2016, 11:50 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

For some reason, I don't think the "Porsche" emblem fits a 997. That said, there are a number of members here who have it on their cars and I think it looks great, yours included. I especially like the gloss black contrasting a red car and I like the way you lined it up with the small curve of the retractable wing. Great job.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:47 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awrryan
For some reason, I don't think the "Porsche" emblem fits a 997. That said, there are a number of members here who have it on their cars and I think it looks great, yours included. I especially like the gloss black contrasting a red car and I like the way you lined it up with the small curve of the retractable wing. Great job.
There are some interesting choices to make when Doing this. The tutorials followed the contour of the trunk and bumper, I assumed the trunk and bumper contour and the contour between the retractable wing and trunk were the same but they aren't. Visually they look the same but as you measure the difference ends up being about 1/8" or more. This caused me to go back and look at the other pics to make sure I liked them to do it their way (trunk bumper). I didn't want to try some new and blow it so I did the same. You don't notice the curve at all if you step back a few feet or driving from behind, but see it more from side or close up when looking carefully.

I also used the "card" method to measure distance between letters. I did have everything measures out like the other way, but the slight curve changes the measurements from the top to bottom of each letter and because the letters are so square, finding the midline of each letter is very hard. Because the letters are so square top to bottom, the card method makes it easy to space each one exactly (vs if you had to center a letter like an "i" , "v" or "y")

Off topic, but for a car where they are trying to always Keep the wt low, I am really surprised how heavy the exhaust tips are. Significant amout of weight and at the worst possible location (extreme rear of the car) but I guess it is low, so that's good. I know that porsche wants good quality, but just seems like an area that could be much lighter with have the same look. I don't think people care if the metal from the single to dual tips is of such heavy/thick guage. I know that 5-10lbs isn't significant but when some cars come out to save Wt and they have no radio or AC, it's easily the wt of a radio.

Last edited by rodH; 04-10-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 540 Likes on 320 Posts

rod you did a fantastic job brother. i couldn't tell that its from a panamera and not a 911 (aren't the part numbers the same)?

a personal peeve of mine is when i see whack badging jobs where the badging curves in strange directions and the negative spacing above and below the badging simply doesnt look factory.

your badging looks identical in spacing to the ones that i've porsche dealers do the 991 badging for 997s customers.

Originally Posted by awrryan
yup, a lot of the time its poorly done.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:30 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
rod you did a fantastic job brother. i couldn't tell that its from a panamera and not a 911 (aren't the part numbers the same)?

a personal peeve of mine is when i see whack badging jobs where the badging curves in strange directions and the negative spacing above and below the badging simply doesnt look factory.

your badging looks identical in spacing to the ones that i've porsche dealers do the 991 badging for 997s customers.

yup, a lot of the time its poorly done.
Getting this perfect was the main priority. I can't stand it when people drive around and they aren't straight or the spacing is off or in a weird area of ANY car (don't get me started on putting an M badge on a 320i or an AMG badge on a C230).

Yes, the badges are exact same size but different profile and part number. Here is a pic of my Brothers 991, letter is totally flat, vs what you see on mine. Also including a pic with the part number.

Chrome you can see this contour better
Old 04-10-2016, 03:43 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

ahhh rod, i get it now. i have the typical flat 991 badging.

i am happy you used my album... the most common mistake is to align the badging to the top of the decklid... which will make your badging frown downwards.

again great job man

Old 04-10-2016, 03:58 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
ahhh rod, i get it now. i have the typical flat 991 badging.

i am happy you used my album... the most common mistake is to align the badging to the top of the decklid... which will make your badging frown downwards.

again great job man

Thanks. Took waaay more time than I expected. What do they say, " measure twice, cut once"? More like "measure 10 times, stick once".
Old 04-10-2016, 04:06 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

all good work is in the prep!

Originally Posted by rodH
Thanks. Took waaay more time than I expected. What do they say, " measure twice, cut once"? More like "measure 10 times, stick once".
Old 04-10-2016, 06:35 PM
TXSailor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this! Where did you purchase the emblems?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:12 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice. Here was my take on the retro-modern badging.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:23 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXSailor
Love this! Where did you purchase the emblems?
Got the 911S from ECS tuning (originally ordered from Suncoast but was out of stock and they wanted like $13 shipping). It is for MY 1973-76 cars (metal)

The PORSCHE I got on EBay. Is an OE part as well. I wanted one that was instock to avoid my last issue so I was sure to look at ebay vendors with good feedback and fast shipping. If you like, you can send me a PM and I can let you know who I used.

Quick Reply: Gloss black PORSCHE and 911S emblems install