Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Car or The Person?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Strelok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love seeing a dirty Porsche because that means it's being DRIVEN and ENJOYED as it's meant to be, not sitting in a garage collecting dust. Why buy the car if you're not going to use it to its full potential?

I'd love to see the look on OP's face if he saw my 997 with my muddy mountain bike strapped to the roof as it often is. I take care of my car and wash it regularly, but it's for driving, not looking.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
All I can think after skimming these few pages, especially if you're a cop and have no problem engaging people on very tense situations, why didn't you just ask him what's up?
Ah, no wonder the OP sounded so much like he was profiling in his first post
Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
you can be certain. these kind of obsessive neurosis do not just "clock in" at a certain time.
Dude, give it up. Whether you agree with OP or not over his criticism of the car in question, your obsession about tying it into his profession is out of line.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
Dude, give it up. Whether you agree with OP or not over his criticism of the car in question, your obsession about tying it into his profession is out of line.
One could argue that being prejudiced against someone merely based on apperances is out of line though, no? Especially from a police officer?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Hmmmm ... they both look pretty clean in those shots
Haha...well I did say that Kim looked very clean 20 feet or so out.......and perhaps from only the rear!?

You've been properly enjoying your whip and it is fine that it shows!

For me these cars clean up well IF I keep the baseline up to a "preservation" regime.

Getting them dirty and making them clean is for me part of the responsibility of using a machine as we do. Since I feel like the car's caretaker, cleaning is a part of the experience (for me).

I'm sure that I'm properly enjoying the driving experience...but I'm also spending a bit of time afterwards getting some rags dirty -- the analogy that I use is like taking care of a horse -- I've never put a horse away wet. Why would I do that with a finely tuned machine?! It is better for me to clean a little at a time than a lot all at once.

PS I see a deep cleaning in Kim's future...and then a long road trip for you my friend...are you guys going to start a thread and let all of us ride along?!

Hint hint
Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

For the record, David is very serious. Even on day trips, when we stop he pulls out the detailer and microfiber towel! Truly an inspiration!!!

Pam will be shotgun with me again (per usual). If my driving doesn't lull her to sleep again (per usual) I will have her sneak some action photos onto my phone to post (my computer stays in the office this time).

I'm guessing this should go in the Off Topic section. Yellowstone 2016, or something like that for people who care to live vicariously. For everyone else, hope to see you on the road with dirt extending up your sides and over the roof!!!

Go out, drive, enjoy!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for anyone out there: what is your reason for backing into parking spaces rather than driving forward? No criticism intended; just curious.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer
Question for anyone out there: what is your reason for backing into parking spaces rather than driving forward? No criticism intended; just curious.
Quick getaway - what else?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:59 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer
Ok, yeah I skimmed this stupid thread. OP has some issues....oh well.

I back in when I go to Costco! Yes, I take my car to Costco. 99% of the time I end up with a shopping cart full of stuff and the it's easier to load the frunk in the sea of over sized SUV's.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series

I back in when I go to Costco! Yes, I take my car to Costco. 99% of the time I end up with a shopping cart full of stuff and the it's easier to load the frunk in the sea of over sized SUV's.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Strelok
I love seeing a dirty Porsche because that means it's being DRIVEN and ENJOYED as it's meant to be, not sitting in a garage collecting dust. Why buy the car if you're not going to use it to its full potential?
I agree! I like a clean car like everyone else but this car gets used.
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series

Costco usually have huge parking lots, and their typical customers seem to park very close in, so I like taking the 911 to Costco. Drop wife off. Park in the outer reaches. And, I usually back in, because no one said I had to.
T
Old 05-18-2016, 04:17 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First let me say my 911 is usually pretty clean. My DD gets washed every two or three weeks. My wife's car, once semi annually at a detailing shop.

The moral of my story is that it's no one's business how we keep our cars. The guy with 50th anniversary probably uses it as a DD and enjoys every minute of it. What the OP forgot was it was not his car or his money. He was way out of line.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I DD my 2009 C4S, and unfortunately it stays pretty dirty on the outside. It's nearly impossible to keep a black car clean in the PNW if you drive. I put about 12K a year on mine. I have to admit though, I was much more **** about keeping my 993 clean, than I am the 997.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:40 PM
BimmerFreak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering if I could get some fashion advice from the OP.

I'm attending my local C&C on Saturday at the Porsche dealer.
My planned attire includes:
Black polo (either college logo, a military unit logo, or perhaps PCA logo if I'm feeling froggy)
Tan shorts
Flip flops (like good ones...you know, because I drive a Porsche)
Maui Jims
Dirty SF Giants baseball cap (its been to 2 World Series)
Rolex Deep Sea (again, because...well Porsche)

I haven't decided on how I'm going to park.
I will maybe go over to Walmart later to practice. You know, so I can see what looks best.

Anyway, any advice is welcome. I'm pretty pumped about "the show" and don't want to screw up and get called out for being a douche.

Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: The Car or The Person?