Sponsored by:

The Car or The Person?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:19 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Car or The Person?

So I went to my third local Cars & Coffee this weekend and saw what I should have been excited to see but I was really disappointed with it. This made me ponder my cars and what relationship I have with them and if it would be different if I had more disposable income then I do.

Yes, this is a 991 story but it relates to us and all car owners.

1. The car: 2013 Porsche 50th Anniversary (1 of 1963 made)

2. The Owner: 60'ish, penny loafers, blue jeans, kinda gaudy Porsche Lettermans Jacket

3. The Problem: First off, he was pulled in forward at cars and coffee when everyone else was backed in. Why is that a problem...I don't know, it just felt more like he had pulled up to a McDonalds then he was displaying a cool Porsche.

4. More of a Problem
: Car was thrashed. Dirty interior, dirty exterior, curb rash, generally yukky all the way around. If I saw my car get like this one was I think I would be sick to my stomach.

So after taking that all in, I thought about my cars.

1. My 997 (Always immaculate, swept out after EVERY drive, feel embarrassed and like I'm letting down the Porsche community if it gets dirty on the outside, fill it up with fuel at about 1/2 tank, NEVER EVER allow food or drinks in it, make my kids take off their shoes to get in the back seat.)

2. My Farm Truck (Never wash, never sweep out, feel embarassed and like I'm letting my redneck friends down if I don't have a muddy exterior, keep it about 1/2 full of gas except in the winter since its my snowed in get to safety plan)

3. Daily Driver/Unmarked Police Car (Exterior, just clean enough to not get in trouble, Interior is just clean enough to not get in trouble, gas is never so empty as to run out of gas on duty and get in trouble)

So, am I, with my wide range, the norm? Or are most meticulous Porsche car owners just as meticulous with their daily drivers and other cars. For the daily driver Porsche guys (like I assume this 50 was), do any of you keep them perfectly clean even as a daily driver?

I assume that his car is either a lease that he plans to give back, or he has the cash to dump it cheap when he's done with it and buy another brand new 911. Either way, I was a little sad that it was the first of that rare'ish model I saw.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2016, 02:24 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Another Pic
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2016, 02:26 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't look that bad?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:29 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Hard to see in the pics. It was pretty dirty. You can see the front air dam in the pics. Looked like a kid had taken a cheese grader to it.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Ridiculous thread is ridiculous. Worry about what you do for cleanliness with your car and leave it at that. Somehow I'm also not surprised about the line of work of OP considering this preposterous thread.

Why you so worried about what other people do and judging people? Damn.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:33 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TM_Corey
Hard to see in the pics. It was pretty dirty. You can see the front air dam in the pics. Looked like a kid had taken a cheese grader to it.
Yeah, I did notice that. Maybe he's a got a steep driveway? Lol
Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO.

If things come to you after blood, sweat & tears you appreciate them better. I was at a self-serve car wash spending quality time with my 997. A guy, probably on social assistance, waiting for a bus, walks up to me and compliments the car. Goes on to tell me that I look like a guy who worked hard to get the car because most people would drop it off at a detailer instead of putting in the effort of taking care of their car.

Not generalizing that people with disposable incomes don't appreciate what they have but the truth is that anything that comes easy is not that much fun to have.

Originally Posted by Fined
Ridiculous thread is ridiculous. Worry about what you do for cleanliness with your car and leave it at that. Somehow I'm also not surprised about the line of work of OP considering this preposterous thread. Why you so worried about what other people do and judging people? Damn.
Dude...relax! Forums like these are for people to express their opinion, if you don't like it, it's not mandated that you need to respond. Like all of our grandmothers told us, "If you don't have anything nice to say, shut your pie-hole!" lol
Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

It's sad to see a dirty Porsche. That being said, if the weather is nice enough to clean the car, it's nice enough to drive. And, I'd much rather drive it, than clean it! I will not, however, allow the inside to get trashy. I clean it out after every drive. No litter. No papers. No water bottles.

BTW, I never back in at most events. At my first PCA drive, someone told me that I should do this, backing in was the tradition. They made it seem like doing otherwise was sacrilege. Since I have a problem with authority, and being told what to do, I now routinely pull straight in. Besides, car looks pretty dang sexy from the rear!
T
Old 05-16-2016, 02:39 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Besides, car looks pretty dang sexy from the rear!
T
The retro seats were aweeesome...
Old 05-16-2016, 02:41 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fined
Ridiculous thread is ridiculous. Worry about what you do for cleanliness with your car and leave it at that. Somehow I'm also not surprised about the line of work of OP considering this preposterous thread.

Why you so worried about what other people do and judging people? Damn.
What were you fined for? Was it me, did I fine you? Speeding?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

Aren't C&C events supposed to be informal and fun? Car guys and others getting together to talk about cars?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

I attend C&C events pretty regularly. I always show up with a clean car. That being said, there are plenty of people who don't. I don't worry about it. I agree with the post above. It's supposed to be about car people getting together and talking about cars, having fun, etc.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:48 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How was the weather?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Originally Posted by gpjli2
How was the weather?
Sunny and about 50.

Beautiful morning at a very cool venue.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I attend C&C events pretty regularly. I always show up with a clean car. That being said, there are plenty of people who don't. I don't worry about it. I agree with the post above. It's supposed to be about car people getting together and talking about cars, having fun, etc.
Wasn't about that, I get that cars and coffee isn't a concurs event. I guess it was amazement that someone would treat a car like that, considering it sold for $125,000 plus tax less then 3 years ago and is a fairly uncommon variant. If any of the modern ones will appreciate eventually and be a good investment, I would think that a 50 would be one of them.

Quick Reply: The Car or The Person?