Sponsored by:

Sport button on .2 Base 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:34 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sport button on .2 Base 6MT?

I'm debating if I should make this investment. I know it will change the throttle response though am wondering if it is really worth it to get this.

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:32 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 158 Posts

The Sport Chrono offers even less for the base cars since it can also control PASM and PSE which I'm presuming your base car does not have.

You're paying around $1200 installed for changing the TB butterfly opening ratio. And some PCM settings updates.

IMO the same money is better spent on TPC's DSC box.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:23 AM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My base 997.1 MT came with sport chrono. The sharper throttle response is nice when blipping the throttle while downshifting and the wart display arguably adds some bling (& not much else).
But if it was my cash, I would put it towards a PSE or aftermarket system.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 131 Posts

No real world experience, but I was at a PCA event last week and a guy had added it. He said it was just over 1K to have installed and he noticed a big improvement in throttle response. Not sure if 1K is worth it but maybe.

Have you driven a car with sport chrono? if you have and you like the feel better than go for it. If you haven't, I would test drive one so you understand the feel.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had it on my last two cars, both manuals, and never used it. I prefer linear throttle response. The PCM settings are nice, but many of these (like drive off assist) can be configured by the dealer with PIWIS.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydneysixer
My base 997.1 MT came with sport chrono. The sharper throttle response is nice when blipping the throttle while downshifting and the wart display arguably adds some bling (& not much else).
But if it was my cash, I would put it towards a PSE or aftermarket system.
No "wart" included with the after purchase addition of the sport button.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:38 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven a Base Cayman and Base Cayenne with Sport mode. The Cayman was PDK and the Cayenne Tip. I could fell it tighten the suspension and throttle response on both.

Thanks for the input. I'm not convinced there is a lot of value of adding this at this point. Though I would still welcome more comments.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:00 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I had it on my .2 base 6mt - While I liked having the option to use it, I generally drove without the sport button on as I felt the throttle was too touchy for starting in first gear. All things equal I'd take a car with SC over a car without it, but I wouldn't go out of my way or pay $1000+ to have it.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:19 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
I had it on my .2 base 6mt - While I liked having the option to use it, I generally drove without the sport button on as I felt the throttle was too touchy for starting in first gear. All things equal I'd take a car with SC over a car without it, but I wouldn't go out of my way or pay $1000+ to have it.
+1. I have a base 997.2 with sport chrono and agree with this completely.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The sport button on a manualdoes nothing really. It makes the car feel like it's quicker by opening the throttle earlier. You can achieve the same thing with a chip for way less money, if that's your thing.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:09 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Hey gopirates! We haven't talked in a while. I hope things have been going well.

Something that often gets overlooked is that the Sport button also relaxes the PSM electronic nannies used for skid control. In only really pays off though if you drive it really hard in curves. If you have trouble with the ECU doing a throttle-kill when accelerating hard out of slow turns this will help with that. It especially pays of when when doing things like autocross, unless you just choose to kill skid-control altogether. In my last autocross I actually ended up having the my car in a sustained drift through a sweeper in Sport Plus without any interruption. It was unintentional and not really the faster way thought, but it was quite a hoot.

The other thing is that in Sport the redline becomes a "hard" redline so you are more likely to bump up your range 1 overrevs a little. The engine runs fully up to redline before doing a hard ignition kill as opposed to softening up just a little before you get there.

The bottom line is that it does more than just the throttle map change most seem to think of, even on a manual, but as to whether those are important to you depends on how you drive the car.

Go Pirates!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:15 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

For everyone saying it changes the throttle response, it doesn't actually make the throttle more responsive, but changes the ratio at which it opens (in other words, less travel with the accel pedal opens the throttle body more) which I understand is actually in a very technical way, different than "throttle response"? I had this in my M3 as well the car feels faster because it is more sensitive to the input, but it isn't actually quicker. Of course speaking of the manual car and not a PDK
Old 10-25-2016, 07:35 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my .2 C4S, PDK I greatly prefer Sport mode over the normal mode. Granted, Sport mode with the PDK also completely revises the shift maps for the transmission and allows the car to naturally be in what I consider the perfect gear for any throttle position and situation. In normal mode the car feels a lot more lazy.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I think the best case for doing this mod on a 6 speed manual trans car are the changes to stability control yaw limits.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:32 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
In my .2 C4S, PDK I greatly prefer Sport mode over the normal mode. Granted, Sport mode with the PDK also completely revises the shift maps for the transmission and allows the car to naturally be in what I consider the perfect gear for any throttle position and situation. In normal mode the car feels a lot more lazy.
Agree for pdk car it's essential. But not for manual. Pdk feels like any other automatic without sport mode.

Quick Reply: Sport button on .2 Base 6MT?