Sponsored by:

Manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Good points - have you tried 997.2 PDK? Curious how the older PDK units compare with the newer ones.

I drove one sometime ago, but not recent enough to give a fair comparison.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:49 AM
jwagman99
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Two routes:
A) Accessible performance (PDK)
B) Accessible fun (6MT)
Best response yet. I have a 997.1S with x51 power kit and a Macan gts. I get my PDF kick from the Macan and the manual fun in the 911. However I’m considering combining my 2 cars to 1 and getting a 991.2 c4s PDK as my dd. Tough decision, and I don’t mean to sound rude saying that
Old 06-01-2019, 12:25 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwagman99
...I’m considering combining my 2 cars to 1 and getting a 991.2 c4s PDK as my dd. Tough decision, and I don’t mean to sound rude saying that
The plan you are considering does not produce the outcome you describe. IMHO.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:36 PM
jwagman99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fbfisher
The plan you are considering does not produce the outcome you describe. IMHO.
How do you mean?
Old 06-01-2019, 01:15 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwagman99
How do you mean?
A 4WD PDK 911 is not an SUV, nor is a PDK SUV like a MT 911. They are each fantastic examples of excellent purpose built vehicles, and to think that one can can combine the best attributes of both into a vehicle that is neither is an unreasonable assumption. Again, IMHO.

Case in point, back in 2014 it was time to replace my LR3, I needed an SUV to carry crap to the boat and to occasionally cart around four adults. But I was also missing having a 911. Then I got the genius idea that I should buy a Range Rover Sport with a Supercharged V8, assuming it would check all of the boxes of an SUV and a sports car. The RRS had great lines, super comfortable and that awesome supercharged V8 when I wanted to bring the noise. I even test drove it through our canyons to see how it would handle on a spirited escapade through the twisties. Well, in that regard, it’s no 911, but it was fun. Then I noticed that the RRS looked a lot like the Ford Explorer Sport, looking at side by side photos they were quite similar. The Eco Boost was no match for the super charged V8, but the tech in the Ford was better...and for the price of a new RRS, I could buy a fully loaded new Explorer to meet my SUV needs AND buy a low miles 997.1 with a MT. And that’s what I did.

Combining two two very different purpose built cars into one, in the case that you are describing does not really work; one way or another, you’ll be making a compromise.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:21 PM
jwagman99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fbfisher
A 4WD PDK 911 is not an SUV, nor is a PDK SUV like a MT 911. They are each fantastic examples of excellent purpose built vehicles, and to think that one can can combine the best attributes of both into a vehicle that is neither is an unreasonable assumption. Again, IMHO.

Case in point, back in 2014 it was time to replace my LR3, I needed an SUV to carry crap to the boat and to occasionally cart around four adults. But I was also missing having a 911. Then I got the genius idea that I should buy a Range Rover Sport with a Supercharged V8, assuming it would check all of the boxes of an SUV and a sports car. The RRS had great lines, super comfortable and that awesome supercharged V8 when I wanted to bring the noise. I even test drove it through our canyons to see how it would handle on a spirited escapade through the twisties. Well, in that regard, it’s no 911, but it was fun. Then I noticed that the RRS looked a lot like the Ford Explorer Sport, looking at side by side photos they were quite similar. The Eco Boost was no match for the super charged V8, but the tech in the Ford was better...and for the price of a new RRS, I could buy a fully loaded new Explorer to meet my SUV needs AND buy a low miles 997.1 with a MT. And that’s what I did.

Combining two two very different purpose built cars into one, in the case that you are describing does not really work; one way or another, you’ll be making a compromise.
I completely understand and agree with you. I love driving a 911 but with the macan I don’t have to drive the manual every day which I like having the choice. I truly feel I have to best of both worlds and to drive a 911 pdk everyday won’t satisfy me in the winter with big coats and sloppy boots!

i also realize the 997s with the power kit is a rare breed. I would be stupid to give up both of these.

Thanks so much for that great insight.

Last edited by jwagman99; 06-01-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 PM
jwagman99
Intermediate

Had a great drive through the city today in my 997. Definitely keeping both.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Good points - have you tried 997.2 PDK? Curious how the older PDK units compare with the newer ones.
I drove a 991 PDK while my 09 with PDK was being worked on. Clutch engagement is a little firmer. Nothing I couldn't live without. The PDK, any PDK, is already a great transmissions. I did not try launch control or sport plus.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Rogueman1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had some interesting experiences in both manuals and autos over the years. Not all Porsches but fantastic gearboxes nonetheless. I'll explain and give what I think is, at least, in part, the reason I'm back in a manual.

It started with a '98 996 Boxster with $h!tronic. Good lord. From there I switched gears (figuratively) a whole bunch over the next several years. I went to a manual '06 Evo IX. Meh. Econobox with stage 1 all-wheel drive dynamite. There was a time and a place for that whole nonsense and I'm way beyond it. As for the manual shift, it was mediocre and utilitarian. It functioned well enough to get the job done. After that I moved on to a 2009 370Z manual upon which didn't remain stock for long. Along with just about everything you could possibly do short of forced induction, I had it. Among these things were a heavy duty clutch and short throw shifter. To say that shifting in this car was a connecting experience is an understatement. And that rev match. Glorious. No, flawless. I still to this day sort of regret unloading that car for my next manual trans... a 2008 M3. Rubbery. Blah. Great V8, crappy shifter. Moving on. In to a 2010 DCT M3. Oh... wait a minute... now I get it. Bimmer has figured out the double clutch auto. To near perfection. I was hooked but still missed the 3rd pedal. I'm just a 3rd pedal man. Moving on from that car I stepped into a 2017 M3 with the DCT. Unbelievable. I nearly swore off manuals forever at that point. Unfortunately, I made a fatal error while driving that car in a manner unfit for a gentleman in the wet. Game over for that car. I walked away, fortunately.

So here I am today. I'm back in the P car game after so many years and it's a... manual. A 2010 997 C2S to be precise. And you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. And yes, I have driven my buddies 991.1 PDK GTS. I didn't spend enough seat time to give a fair comparison to the near perfect modern DCT in the M however it was nothing short of glorious. At the end of the day, I'm just in love with the manual in my 911. What can I say? I just love it.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:04 PM
jwagman99
Intermediate

The more I get in my 911 and feel the car through my body, manual is the way for me.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:39 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

I have not driven PDK, no plan to. Have 5 manual vehicles. 6th is auto but wasn't offered in manual.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 221 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Numeric Racing

Manual is my choice but that is no surprise here. I have been always more into the manual over the PDK. I like to interact more will the car and certainly requires more skill to drive them especially on the race track. My Cup Car is manual, My 991, My 66 corvette I put a tremec 5 speed manual in it. Had one of of them Muncie 4 speeds where you would be revving the **** out of it at 70mph. LOL. PDK is certainly a lot easier to drive in every aspect. There is just something about driving a manual that gives me more personal satisfaction. I feel more connected to the car and in control.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

^ I also have a tremec 5 speed (in a 69 Charger). Want to swap out the .64 OD to the .82. Too much drop from 4th to 5th as it is.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM
jwagman99
Intermediate

I still believe there is some “cool” factor to the manual as it’s becoming a lost art.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:19 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,260 Posts

The following users liked this post:
ekam (03-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Manual vs PDK