Will I regret not going "S"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 04:10 PM
thatg
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will I regret not going "S"?

My perfect car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Porsche...1YrTzp&vxp=mtr

Priced way too high for me. I'm seeing 997s with 40-50k miles for around $35-40k

Hey all had a couple threads where i waivered back and forth between a 996 turbo or 997s or even get a porsche at all and wait a couple years for the 991.2 to drop.

I've driven a couple cars since and loved the kick of the turbo and after a tune the thing will probably fly. I drove a 997.1 c2s vert a couple of days later and think its enough power(i'd say the car is zippy)

I'm decided on the 997s but now struggling between a coupe or cab, love the lines on the coupe but the weather is so beautiful out here in California.

Onto my real question here:
I've found a pretty good deal on a 997.2 09 c4 cab with sports chrono. I'm wondering how much I'll miss the S package and if there are any must haves on a 997.2 are all aftermarket exhausts built for the standard/S carrera? The exhaust is way too quite after driving the car. I've added a pic of the dash of the car to get an idea of the options. I onow ive seen a sport and sports plus button before. Not sure what each does. Thanks for any input. Excited to get into a 997! The cars not exactly what im looking for but finding a 997s coupe 6speed eith red leather has proved to be difficult in the past couple of months and this car looks to be a good deal for a .2
Attached Images   

Last edited by thatg; 03-05-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:00 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

First, I really dig the dark grey cabriolet 4 with wider rear end, it just gorgeous. Since you live in CA, there are so many awesome back road and horrid traffic, IMO any 911 is enough power for DD. Unless, you want higher torque then you have to look into turbo 911. Go for it and I don't think you will regret. Also, do you track often? If so, may be C2S coupe but crushing down CA coastline with 997.2 (4) is priceless. Enjoy.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go for the S and full leather, but thats just me
Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Only you can answer a question such as this. This is the reality vs ego question. For 99% of porsche owners there is no real world performance difference. But, we are guys with egos and we have the "mine has to be bigger/better" mentality and just knowing that a professional driver on a closed course can get to 60mph .2 sec quicker or can max out at 185mph instead of 179, or can lap the nurbiring faster is important.

The only exception I can think of is if it is your only car and you use it as a daily driver, but also use it frequently as a track car.

So, if you think your ego will miss it, get

And my car is a non-S daily driver and is more than enough car, but I would be lying if I did not occasionally wish that I could get to 60 faster.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Don't do it

"Car is not exactly what I'm looking for" - you already answered - If your spending that kind of $ , get EXACTLY what you want - your perfect car is out there, promise - don't settle
Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 PM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not believe that the 997.2 base is much different than a 997.1 S in terms of stats. So maybe it is a good middle ground.

On a side note, I just completed an auto cross traning and ran with my base 997.1. There were 991.2 C4Ss, 991.1 C4S, C2S and base. There were also 997.2S ,997.1S, 996s, 996 TT, etc.... It became fairly obvious that the driver was the biggest differences in all the cars. On a track, maybe the car would have been a bigger factor. I am happy that with the performance of my car. That being said, I would not be upset if I woke up tomorrow and mine turned into an S! But this is me, you might have a very different take on it.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:22 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
"Car is not exactly what I'm looking for" - you already answered - If your spending that kind of $ , get EXACTLY what you want - your perfect car is out there, promise - don't settle
Amen, preach it brother. I sacrificed one of my wants (coupe) and bought a cab. Sold it 6 months later. You are either a coupe or cab guy. The sunroof on the 997 is more than fine for me in Socal plus I can run the AC and stay cool in the summer heat with the sunroof open. Dont think thats possible in a cab.

If your budget allows, go for the S.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Amen, preach it brother. I sacrificed one of my wants (coupe) and bought a cab. Sold it 6 months later. You are either a coupe or cab guy. The sunroof on the 997 is more than fine for me in Socal plus I can run the AC and stay cool in the summer heat with the sunroof open. Dont think thats possible in a cab.

I also agree. Get what you want, or you'll find yourself looking again in the near future.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:37 AM
thatg
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I also agree. Get what you want, or you'll find yourself looking again in the near future.

Getting what i want could be the difference of $8k for a red leather S coupe vs. a black leather S cab. The more I ask myself if its worth the extra money the less I'm coming up with yes.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:10 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Go for the S. I looked for months and started with looking for a Boxster, then a Boxster S, then a 996, then a 997, then finally settled on a 997S and the 3.8L engine. Love it.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:54 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have zero regrets getting a base.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 AM
gray911
Instructor

Yes you will regret it. It is very psychological. I will do the S if I had to do it all over again. The price difference is not much.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:21 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Zero regrets.

When do you stop the comparisons? Why not say, do you regret not getting the C4S vs the S. Oh, for a little bit more, do you regret not getting the turbo?

To me, this is more "keeping up with the Jonses"....and I could give a flip about that. I bought my 911 because I wanted a 911. This is my 4th p-car and won't be my last. Next on my list is to go back to a mid-engine platform 981/718. At the end of the day, it's a question of what need will the car fulfill. I wanted a fun car where I could row the gears manually. I have a company car that I'm required to drive while traveling, so it's only a pleasure car for weekend drives and a few overnight trips. As for the cost difference, it's more than a few thousand. A comparable S model to mine (with 38k miles) was at least $8,000 more. Not to mention, the condition was immaculate and that's what sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:27 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by captainbaker

I have a cab and one of my favorite things to do on a very hot and humid NJ day is top down A/C cranked. Because the aerodynamics of the P car is so good you get very little wind disturbance. In fact I've never taken the wind deflector out of the bag.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:04 PM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default David Pagan Porsche Decisions

WOULD HAVE, SHOULD HAVE,COULD HAVE ,

If you have to ask your self , then your already telling your self what you want, with cars ,motor bikes ect , if you a driver buy what you can handle till you can master what that vechicle can put out , thus you don't start tracking a 500 hp car if you first car was a Geo Metro so to speak, and then work up to your dream car as your driving skills progress , but if it's just cruising or a color option then buy what tickles your fancy.
At the end of the day you'll regret that you didn't purchase what you really wanted ,if it was in your price range.
My first Porsche was a beat up 1985 944 and i luved it for what is offered .

Go out and drive a few cars that your trying to decided between, and if its a drivers feel that your after then that car will stand out.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Will I regret not going "S"?