997 GTS vs 991 turbo track battle

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts
Default --

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy ***** I can tell your an autocrosser LOL

i know you probably don't want advice but you seem like a skilled driver; if you had a good coach teach you to be smooth you wouldn't have had any of those moments near the mid/end and would be overall faster per lap. I assume you were purposely drifting at the beginning

Last edited by Alexandrius; 05-12-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
holy ***** I can tell your an autocrosser LOL

i know you probably don't want advice but you seem like a skilled driver; if you had a good coach teach you to be smooth you wouldn't have had any of those moments near the mid/end and would be overall faster per lap. I assume you were purposely drifting at the beginning
Totally what he said..... you would be a ton quicker if your were smoother with your inputs and running a differnt line.. shuffling = not as quick.

I assume you were drifting on purpose.

Great job keeping up with the 991 turbo driver!

Smooth like this (my last track day)
Old 05-13-2017, 02:50 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow great video. Nice job on keeping the Turbo in your grasp once it passed. How that car pulls away from our 997's is plain rude!

As for the start, it was clear you were playing around, as it went all 'game time' once the Turbo passed you. I'm not at the level you are in exploring the chassis of the 997 but I hope to be one day. It's one of the things I love about the car is it's adjustability!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 PM
westgate997
Instructor

I just want to know what mount you use to keep your iphone so steady!! Been looking for a mount like that!
Old 05-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Just my opinion, but if the drivers switched cars you'd have never seen the Turbo in the GTS camera shots. It was only the skill of the GTS driver (and lack of same by the Turbo driver) that kept this close. I had the exact same experience w/ a GT3RS at L/S once - it was a phyrric victory. That said, and I'm probably wrong, it sure looked like the Turbo driver was driving the GTS's car - I mean the sometimes poor lines and mistakes made by the Turbo were mimiced (to a degree) by the GTS as the later was so intent on keeping up. In the end though, if fun was had by all, a few things were learned, and no harm ensued, do any of our comments matter. Nice video, thanks.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

I thought it was a highly entertaining video, and well done. I just personally wouldn't be able to handle the mental stress of constantly fixing moments like that in my street car
Old 05-13-2017, 02:24 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:39 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Just my opinion, but if the drivers switched cars you'd have never seen the Turbo in the GTS camera shots. It was only the skill of the GTS driver (and lack of same by the Turbo driver) that kept this close. I had the exact same experience w/ a GT3RS at L/S once - it was a phyrric victory. That said, and I'm probably wrong, it sure looked like the Turbo driver was driving the GTS's car - I mean the sometimes poor lines and mistakes made by the Turbo were mimiced (to a degree) by the GTS as the later was so intent on keeping up. In the end though, if fun was had by all, a few things were learned, and no harm ensued, do any of our comments matter. Nice video, thanks.
So true. The turbo takes off on the straights and then the fast king eats him up everywhere else.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:09 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

It was mainly due to poor lines, but the gts could technically be faster in turns due to less weight. Tire freshness/type would obviously matter quite a bit as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Enjoyed watching that. Had it not been for the major power mismatch, you would have been quite a bit faster, as evidenced by you running up on him and having to slow excessively to avoid contact in virtually every corner.

Curious what the outside temps were on that day as it looked like your oil temps were up over 250 degrees - is that something you monitor while doing track work? Can you fit a 3rd radiator or deep sump to a PDK equipped car?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:13 PM
THE_Roen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
You're not Senna.

For every Senna, there's thousands of smooth drivers. He is fast in spite of shuffling, not because of it. You've also posted a demo lap in an NSX of Suzuka. Even so, his shuffling is still considered as smooth, rather than this herky jerky mess at NYST. If you can be smooth while shuffling, that's one thing.....but you're not.

How about footage where he's actually going fast?

Notice how he's trying to smoothen out the bumps of Monaco? He would be even jerkier if he wasn't trying to be smooth. He's not purposely being jerky on smooth asphalt. Context is everything.

In any case, this is just advice to help you go faster. Feel free to ignore it if you just want to drive how you drive.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

PDK car can take 3rd radiator...in fact the option exists mainly for PDK equipped cars as they benefit a bit more from additional cooling for the transmission.

250 degrees+ is not a huge deal according to a shop near me that services cup cars etc. They said the car will literally tell you if it gets too hot and to not worry. Obviously insane numbers can be worrisome, but around 275 degrees can be fairly normal on a track day with zero issues in these cars.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

PDK schmeeDK. ha! Looks like a fun track.

-td
Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by THE_Roen
You're not Senna.

For every Senna, there's thousands of smooth drivers. He is fast in spite of shuffling, not because of it. You've also posted a demo lap in an NSX of Suzuka. How about footage where he's actually going fast?

Even so, his shuffling is still considered as smooth, rather than this herky jerky mess at NYST. If you can be smooth while shuffling, that's one thing.....but you're not.

In any case, this is just advice to help you go faster. Feel free to ignore it if you just want to drive how you drive.
Oh, also, what this guy said ^^^^

You can control your car but if you smooth your inputs more the car will reward you. Your movements are fairly jerky and often times create a "moment" where you are scrubbing speed; a surprising amount of speed over time. That is not smooth shuffling.

But again it seems like you were having fun and that can be all that matters!

Quick Reply: 997 GTS vs 991 turbo track battle