I disconnected the front/center speaker, and feel that this helped with imaging
Old 07-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by bbinder
I disconnected the front/center speaker, and feel that this helped with imaging
Note that when you do this, you loose the vital center channel in 5.1 surround (DVD-A or DTS). Of course few geeks have any of these discs.... of course that is me....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-13-2017, 02:40 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

"Incredibly simple fix to improve the 997 Bose amp sound quality"

I thought the answer was going to be "get a crowbar and rip it out."

No highs, no lows...
Old 07-13-2017, 01:17 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
"Incredibly simple fix to improve the 997 Bose amp sound quality"

I thought the answer was going to be "get a crowbar and rip it out."

No highs, no lows...
I think I agree with you. I also think I need to debunk my own tip. This is purely placebo effect. I tested turning the Autopilot on/off on the highway and it does nothing. I suspect the improved audio quality I thought I heard was because I was listening a) in the garage and b) to the radio which tends to be more bass heavy than playing off my iPhone through the Mobridge.

Im going to call this tip debunked and go for the crowbar method instead.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:00 PM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My antipathy toward all things Bose is legendary. It's positively racist. I consider Bose to be a company that is big on hype, big on slick packaging, big on marketing, and abominable when it comes to actual performance. I'd yank a Bose system out of any vehicle in a heartbeat and replace it with just about anything else. First I'd try really hard to find a Burmester option system from a Porsche salvage outfit, and if not successful, go to aftermarket products. I favor Boston Acoustics speakers and Pioneer head units.

To me, the Bose system is just barely better than no system at all.

I freely admit that my bias against Bose is probably a bit beyond the bounds of reason.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

That's a good idea
Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM
SLVRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I think I agree with you. I also think I need to debunk my own tip. This is purely placebo effect. I tested turning the Autopilot on/off on the highway and it does nothing. I suspect the improved audio quality I thought I heard was because I was listening a) in the garage and b) to the radio which tends to be more bass heavy than playing off my iPhone through the Mobridge.

Im going to call this tip debunked and go for the crowbar method instead.
Agree - no noticeable improvement here either. The Panasonic/Fender setup in my GTI is light years ahead of the 'premium' Bose setup.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:39 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does one go about turning off the Autopilot?
Old 07-15-2017, 03:19 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
My antipathy toward all things Bose is legendary. It's positively racist. I consider Bose to be a company that is big on hype, big on slick packaging, big on marketing, and abominable when it comes to actual performance. I'd yank a Bose system out of any vehicle in a heartbeat and replace it with just about anything else. First I'd try really hard to find a Burmester option system from a Porsche salvage outfit, and if not successful, go to aftermarket products. I favor Boston Acoustics speakers and Pioneer head units.

I freely admit that my bias against Bose is probably a bit beyond the bounds of reason.
I'm with you. Bose = junk. I have had Bose in several of my cars and have reached the point where I will check to make sure a car doesn't have Bose before I buy it.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ
How does one go about turning off the Autopilot?
Press the Sound button on the PCM and once in that screen press the Set button. You will then see the toggles for Autopilot, Surround Sound, treble and bass.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have "TP" as an option in my cab. Is that for noise compensation when the top is down? Nothing is said in the manual about "TP". If for noise compensation, it seems odd to have that and "Auto Pilot", too.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default seat belt vibrates when volume high

My Bose works very well. So well, it can hurt my ears if on full blast. For many songs, in high volume, my driver side seat belt holder (above left ear) vibrates.
I tried putting my hand on it..but that doesn't stop the vibration noise leading me to believe that something beneath the seat belt harness cover is vibrating.

Has anyone else experienced this? I suppose, I can try removing the seat belt cover and further inspect.

Hope I have not side-tracked from this post. It is related I guess.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:43 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 234 Posts

Did the fuse pull last night, but there still seems to be something up with the speakers, sounds like one is blown/rattling but it comes and goes. Figure the first step I might try is pulling the door cards to investigate as it seems to come from the drivers door in my case.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:57 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson

What he said...
Old 12-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Bose Surround

Go to options and turn off the Linear option as well. Makes all the difference in the world. Bass shows up big time. Still, no mid range. Is Bose the best. No. No mid range. Turn off the Auto Pilot, too.

Can't believe Porsche allowed all of this in their cars. Why have the options if the don't work? No understanding this logic. Except they got a good deal.

Also, my amp has to warm up before I get bass. Why?

Quick Reply: Incredibly simple fix to improve the 997 Bose amp sound quality