Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Quick DSC sport review/Radio Freq issue:

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 10:52 AM
Henry Chung
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tosha
Guys, are you talking about the "squeal" from the Tractive dampers or DSC module? It sounds like the 1kHz noise that electronics can sometimes make that the human ear is most sensitive to.

I heard a negligible amount of this noise when I first got Tractive installed, and then when I cut into the rear carpet wall and mounted the roll bar over the shocks, it got LOUD. I think the sound is just now escaping through he carpet openings and then reflecting off windows (hard to hear it with windows down).

Is this just a matter of insulating the openings in the carpet, and putting some sound deadening around the shock towers themselves? Or, is the sound coming from the DSC module?

Hello, I am from Hong Kong and just installed the DSC controller on my 997.1 GT3 this week and also noticed the “squeal’, suspected it’s from DSC controller or DSC 3-axis accelerometer. Can anyone find out the solution?

Old 05-15-2021, 06:29 PM
ZMC-ZH
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same issue on a 997.2, sound package plus. All audio/pcm unmodified.
I got the unit last October but have been too busy to really invest time there since winter is over. Back in goes the OEM box
I tried removing the fuse of the PCM since I couldn’t find someone to do a RF leak test. Noise was indeed gone but doesn’t tell me the source of the problem. Could still be the DSC or maybe the amp. I read around here those Ask amp are problematic.

If anyone has faced the issue and found the root cause, it would be nice to share.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:16 AM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I am also in the same boat. There is some rf noise that comes from the dsc box area, that is not present with the stock controller. @Mr. Adair Did the shielding bag work to solve your noise?
Old 02-18-2023, 02:54 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 513 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by gutenfreibier
I am also in the same boat. There is some rf noise that comes from the dsc box area, that is not present with the stock controller. @Mr. Adair Did the shielding bag work to solve your noise?
Hi, the shielding did not work and I tried two different controllers. Tom at TPC was very helpful but did not have a solution. Continued to say I had an exposed wire somewhere. BS!

I ended up removing the controller. I have since sold the car. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2024, 03:16 PM
suped89
4th Gear

Default Same here

Did you make any progress on your noise issue? I seem to have the same issue as well.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:56 PM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

I learned to live with it. It's mostly my wife who hears it, and she rarely rides with me. The road noise, exhaust note, and sometimes radio takes care of it! That said, I would love to know if anyone does find a solution. For what it's worth, I did try 2 different DSC boxes, and both of them had the issue, so it is not a fault of the DSC itself.

Last edited by gutenfreibier; 03-01-2024 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:08 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

I have DSC and Tractive shocks in my 2007 RS. Not a peep through my aftermarket sound system.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:41 PM
suped89
4th Gear

I also tried 2 DSC boxes and the same sound... the sound is coming directly from all 4 dampers, not the controller box. I'm going to bring an oscilloscope home this weekend and probe on the controller PCB. Using a sound app, the noise is about 6.7kHz in frequency, and it's coming from all 4 dampers. I'm guessing the DSC controller is PWM'ing a 12V signal to achieve the proper current to the damper.

@gutenfreibier can you confirm your sound comes from the dampers also and not the controller box?

Last edited by suped89; 03-01-2024 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

My noise is coming from the DSC box area. In several chats with Tom at DSC, he mentioned a short, or a wire touching metal in the chassis somewhere could cause the issue.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:17 PM
suped89
4th Gear

My noise is coming from the DSC box area. In several chats with Tom at DSC, he mentioned a short, or a wire touching metal in the chassis somewhere could cause the issue.
If you know how to go into the tuning software, go in there and set the current for 3 of the shocks to 0mA, and then see if you can only hear the noise from one of the dampers. For me, the noise comes from each damper because they PWM the actuator with a 6.7kHz signal. I believe it's a design flaw, but DSC has stopped responding to my emails in hopes of changing the frequency to something higher and not audible. Terrible support from a small company unfortunately.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:35 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Just a random 987.2 guy chipping in, but I have the same issue. I chased it for a good while (e.g. filtering, shielding, etc), made no progress, and eventually make it a track car so I stopped caring. The noise does depend on the current output from the DSC. I seem to recall I eventually found that if I disconnected the door sill LED fuse it stopped the noise, but I think the fuse controlled other elements as well so it wasn't a clean resolution. I did make me wonder if Tom's observation on the rarity of the problem correlated with cars that have the door sill illumination option.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:45 AM
suped89
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Just a random 987.2 guy chipping in, but I have the same issue. I chased it for a good while (e.g. filtering, shielding, etc), made no progress, and eventually make it a track car so I stopped caring. The noise does depend on the current output from the DSC. I seem to recall I eventually found that if I disconnected the door sill LED fuse it stopped the noise, but I think the fuse controlled other elements as well so it wasn't a clean resolution. I did make me wonder if Tom's observation on the rarity of the problem correlated with cars that have the door sill illumination option.
The DSC system is very standalone. It only requires switched 12V and ground from the vehicle. The only "link" it has to anything else on the vehicle is through the CANbus. I don't see any circuits from the car being able to interfere with the DSC.

Does your 987.2 have sound insulation between the rear shocks and the cabin?
Old 03-20-2024, 02:57 PM
ZMC-ZH
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Just in case it might help, my.2 has the sound package plus and PCM 3.0.
The sound comes from the dsc box, not the shocks.
It is stronger in sport mode vs normal
Removing the PCM fuse, the noise is gone

I was thinking of shielding the dsc box but didn’t test yet.

Next step will be to leave the fuse but disconnect the amp.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:47 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by suped89
The DSC system is very standalone. It only requires switched 12V and ground from the vehicle. The only "link" it has to anything else on the vehicle is through the CANbus. I don't see any circuits from the car being able to interfere with the DSC.

Does your 987.2 have sound insulation between the rear shocks and the cabin?
Yes, I'm familiar with the unit and it's wiring. I suspect the RF noise from the box is being picked up by the door sill wiring and potentially transmitted by the ground. I don't know if the ground for the DSC and door sill are shared or not, but worth checking into.

All of my stock insulation is in place over the dampers. The noise is clearly audible in the door speakers. It's not the noise of the shock activating.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:16 PM
sbaro
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just as another data point, I have a 997.2 & also have had the RF noise since installation in 2021. Stock bose sound system. Seems unlikely that all of us have an exposed wire!

Quick Reply: Quick DSC sport review/Radio Freq issue: