Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sharkwerks' 4.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 11:46 PM
BDCGT3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

At long last someone who recently went the route of a Sharkwerks 4.1 has chimed in!...[an especially beautiful looking RS by the way, both in color and sans those tacky RS graphics, make for a refreshingly clean look indeed!]...ever since I had read about that older gentleman from CA [I believe he went by the moniker "Snowboarder" or something similiar - someone who actually drove his GT3 extensively, putting a lot of miles flogging it about on canyon runs, unlike seemingly 99% of Rennlist RS owners in particular, whose vehicles are garaged and rarely ever see the light of day] who replaced his Sharkwerks 3.9 with a 4.1 engine, I have been awaiting his promised detailed feedback for oh so long...I certainly hope he is ok...at any rate, I would be very grateful to get some more feedback from the OP regarding the overall performance of a 4.1 engine vs. his previous stock motor...assuming I decide to keep my GT3, I most definitely will have the engine goosed to something in the range of 4.0 to 4.3 as others have done [but not many or so it seems]...while I believe I have read most all of what is out there [videos included] praising the Sharkwerks 4.1 and outlining what a special engine it truly is, what I have been trying to get a better sense about, is the vehicle's performance as measured by some kind of numbers, ideally the quarter mile or better yet 60-130 mph times...even an updated video of the one Sharkwerks made on that airport runway, showing how a 3.9 car pulled away from a stock version but obviously in this instance, exchanging the stock car for one powered by their 4.1 engine, would be very helpful...while I don't mean to come across as a numbers on a drag strip sort of guy because I'm certainly not, my many years reading about cars in enthusiast magazines, taught me how helpful it was to have at least certain numbers as a basis to compare performance between vehicles...having said that, Motor Trend's annual "Lightening lap" issue is perhaps a better barometer still.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:20 AM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many times did you bang your head on that tire rack? :-D
Old 12-19-2018, 04:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

snowboarder is fine and well still flogging the 4.1
both he and slow/steady are really fine and fast drivers.
SB no longer frequents RL but I am sure slow steady will summarize his finding shortly after the piles pile on
Old 12-19-2018, 10:49 AM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BDCGT3
At long last someone who recently went the route of a Sharkwerks 4.1 has chimed in!...[an especially beautiful looking RS by the way, both in color and sans those tacky RS graphics, make for a refreshingly clean look indeed!]...ever since I had read about that older gentleman from CA [I believe he went by the moniker "Snowboarder" or something similiar - someone who actually drove his GT3 extensively, putting a lot of miles flogging it about on canyon runs, unlike seemingly 99% of Rennlist RS owners in particular, whose vehicles are garaged and rarely ever see the light of day] who replaced his Sharkwerks 3.9 with a 4.1 engine, I have been awaiting his promised detailed feedback for oh so long...I certainly hope he is ok...at any rate, I would be very grateful to get some more feedback from the OP regarding the overall performance of a 4.1 engine vs. his previous stock motor...assuming I decide to keep my GT3, I most definitely will have the engine goosed to something in the range of 4.0 to 4.3 as others have done [but not many or so it seems]...while I believe I have read most all of what is out there [videos included] praising the Sharkwerks 4.1 and outlining what a special engine it truly is, what I have been trying to get a better sense about, is the vehicle's performance as measured by some kind of numbers, ideally the quarter mile or better yet 60-130 mph times...even an updated video of the one Sharkwerks made on that airport runway, showing how a 3.9 car pulled away from a stock version but obviously in this instance, exchanging the stock car for one powered by their 4.1 engine, would be very helpful...while I don't mean to come across as a numbers on a drag strip sort of guy because I'm certainly not, my many years reading about cars in enthusiast magazines, taught me how helpful it was to have at least certain numbers as a basis to compare performance between vehicles...having said that, Motor Trend's annual "Lightening lap" issue is perhaps a better barometer still.
same here!!!! i kept looking for someone to give us feedback on how is it?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 AM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowandsteady

It's been well over a year that I have posted here. I bought Jenks' car 5 years ago and added another 50 track days. Ironically, I blew up engine on my way to my daughter's soccer game, lol.

Alex, James, and Dan were able to preserve the case and worked in their 4.1 magic. Damn, it's fantastic. Cheers!
if possible please shoot us detailed review
Old 12-19-2018, 07:01 PM
BDCGT3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response Mooty!...great to hear that Snowboarder is doing well...if I recall his last posting correctly, he said he was loving his 4.1 which had just returned from Sharkwerks and he hoped to provide more detail at a later time...sorry to hear that he no longer is an active Renlister as I greatly admired/enjoyed reading about how much he relished racing around those California canyons, mileage be damed.

Although there seem to be quite a few Sharkwerk 3.9's out there, that does not seem to be the case alas, with their 4.1's...I was also very intrigued by the 4.3 that BBI did for "Ankara"[sp?] but other than that brief clip he posted of his car accelerating through a tunnel, I am not aware of his having posted much of anything further regarding his thoughts of the transformation his vehicle underwent..."Ranger" certainly provided a lot of detail about what his car was undergoing at Champion in Florida [most of which was over my head in terms of fully understanding] and of course there was the glorious sounding video he posted of the finished product wailing around some track in Florida I believe it was...thus I was somewhat surprised to later read he had put his 997.1 RS up for sale given the readily apparent considerable investment that he had made in it..I only wish I had seen his "for sale" in time as I am quite sure I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

I recall reading about a couple of other GT3/RS's whose engines were at one time or another being "stroked" but those owners seemed to cease communication about the end result on Rennlist as well...as one who is serious about going the route of a stroker motor at one place or another anywhere in the country, the seeming lack of follow-thru regarding other people's experiences has been frustrating.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskews4
How many times did you bang your head on that tire rack? :-D
Exactly one time before I mcgyver'd that corner, lol
Old 12-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Thanks for your kind words about the RS. Consistent with what you have read or watched on video, the low rpm punch, power, and smoothness up to 8800 redline is spectacular. I would love to take it to the track some day, but I made a deal with the boss (that's another story). For now, after 100 track days, the RS will enjoy the daily commute and weekend canyon runs. I bought it 5 years ago with 13k miles, engine blew at 52k.

A few weeks ago, another RL member and I exchanged cars for a 30 minute canyon run (he had the Sharkwerks' 3.9). The power and torque differences were very noticeable.

Perhaps Mooty and I can do a few pulls at various speeds for you :-). I just don't want to get arrested before the holidays.

Heck. Just fly out here and I will let you drive it.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the response Mooty!...great to hear that Snowboarder is doing well...if I recall his last posting correctly, he said he was loving his 4.1 which had just returned from Sharkwerks and he hoped to provide more detail at a later time...sorry to hear that he no longer is an active Renlister as I greatly admired/enjoyed reading about how much he relished racing around those California canyons, mileage be damed.

Although there seem to be quite a few Sharkwerk 3.9's out there, that does not seem to be the case alas, with their 4.1's...I was also very intrigued by the 4.3 that BBI did for "Ankara"[sp?] but other than that brief clip he posted of his car accelerating through a tunnel, I am not aware of his having posted much of anything further regarding his thoughts of the transformation his vehicle underwent..."Ranger" certainly provided a lot of detail about what his car was undergoing at Champion in Florida [most of which was over my head in terms of fully understanding] and of course there was the glorious sounding video he posted of the finished product wailing around some track in Florida I believe it was...thus I was somewhat surprised to later read he had put his 997.1 RS up for sale given the readily apparent considerable investment that he had made in it..I only wish I had seen his "for sale" in time as I am quite sure I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

I recall reading about a couple of other GT3/RS's whose engines were at one time or another being "stroked" but those owners seemed to cease communication about the end result on Rennlist as well...as one who is serious about going the route of a stroker motor at one place or another anywhere in the country, the seeming lack of follow-thru regarding other people's experiences has been frustrating.
You should contact Jamie at Dundon motorsports. He has several levels of builds and can give you enough technical details to blow your mind.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
snowboarder is fine and well still flogging the 4.1
both he and slow/steady are really fine and fast drivers.
SB no longer frequents RL but I am sure slow steady will summarize his finding shortly after the piles pile on
Yep. He's doing very well. We exchange messages frequently on IG relative to the 4.1 and Trinks cafe!
Old 12-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Originally Posted by farisad
if possible please shoot us detailed review
There is no way that I can describe it better than the historical articles. It's a beast and I will keep it forever.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Thanks for your kind words about the RS. Consistent with what you have read or watched on video, the low rpm punch, power, and smoothness up to 8800 redline is spectacular. I would love to take it to the track some day, but I made a deal with the boss (that's another story). For now, after 100 track days, the RS will enjoy the daily commute and weekend canyon runs. I bought it 5 years ago with 13k miles, engine blew at 52k.

A few weeks ago, another RL member and I exchanged cars for a 30 minute canyon run (he had the Sharkwerks' 3.9). The power and torque differences were very noticeable.
indeed very noticeable. 3.9 was amazing the 4.1 was above and beyond.
oh and the owner of THAT 3.9L was with me today, I coaxed him into 40 year old stinky old cars.

Yep. He's doing very well. We exchange messages frequently on IG relative to the 4.1 and Trinks cafe!
if you plan to head up to him and goto Trinks, lmk. I fear to head north alone, I know I will get lost and there are no cell signal.

There is no way that I can describe it better than the historical articles. It's a beast and I will keep it forever.
haha, yes one drive is all that takes.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:54 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
indeed very noticeable. 3.9 was amazing the 4.1 was above and beyond.
oh and the owner of THAT 3.9L was with me today, I coaxed him into 40 year old stinky old cars.
Ha!, Steve doesn't need another car :-)!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:53 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Destroyed piston
Thanks for the reply. Once again, this is an awesome RS!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I think I saw this monster being worked on right after Rennsport? Is that right? I was there getting my car Sharkified...

Mj
Yep. They had it from May to the end of October. James had a full plate when I dropped it off.

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks' 4.1