Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 01:11 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
drl
100%. I could have written the exact same thing. It's ridiculously loud. But as you alluded to, it's also equally due to the drone at certain RPM's in addition to the actual decibels. I started using earplugs as well with any drive longer than 30 minutes and now think to myself that it's stupid to have to wear these things to make an extended drive more tolerable. I have essentially straight pipes on my FGT and used earplugs for the first few hundred miles after I installed them. For whatever reason, the sound has come down to a perfect level. Perhaps the drone 'worked itself out' after several heat cycles and a few thousand miles of driving?? Either that, or I'm just going more deaf.

So, I've also been contemplating going back to just a center bypass. I don't even want my 7 year old son riding with me and risk damaging his hearing. I do like the sound, but it's definitely tiring on the ears. My guess is headers (Dundon?), stock sides, and a center bypass would be the sweet spot. But I want to keep the cats. More importantly, I don't want to invest that much into something that may be an expensive disappointment.

Eager to know what you decide to do.
I just tried out a JCR silenced centee bypass with my catted Dundon long tune header set up. The drone is immense and I personally think the car is way too loud for street driving. The drone also won't go away till I'd say around 4k rpm. Not sure if the long tube headers have an effect on that.

I put my stock titanium center muffler back on after two days and realize this might be the perfect sound level. Having said that, I am going to order a Dundon loud muffler to see how that will be. It should be between stock center vs JCR silenced center bypass.
The following 2 users liked this post by a_Y:
bonehead (04-26-2020), SupraSaiyan (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 01:13 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by a_Y
I just tried out a JCR silenced centee bypass with my catted Dundon long tune header set up. The drone is immense and I personally think the car is way too loud for street driving. The drone also won't go away till I'd say around 4k rpm. Not sure if the long tube headers have an effect on that.

I put my stock titanium center muffler back on after two days and realize this might be the perfect sound level. Having said that, I am going to order a Dundon loud muffler to see how that will be. It should be between stock center vs JCR silenced center bypass.
I stand corrected! Thanks for the input. Please let us know how the Dundon muffler compares.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:20 AM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 63 Posts

This was the M&M setup I originally used with my 4.2. It was long-tube headers with 200 cell cat and side deletes into stock center muffler.

It sounded glorious at maximum attack! However, drone was terrible everywhere between 2.5-3.5k rpm and painfully loud. After a couple of drives, I had to use ear plugs. My thought was that fitting valved side deletes would make the setup more tolerable. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find valved side deletes compatible with the M&M headers. I thought the next thing to try was to have the side deletes feed into both chambers of the center muffler instead of just the loud section. An exhaust shop fabbed the parts. The drone is now gone. While the exhaust is also quieter in normal driving, it still sounds epic at WOT.
The following 2 users liked this post by point2point:
Mr. Adair (04-27-2020), rrichmondd (04-27-2020)
Old 05-16-2023, 07:12 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Any updates on this thread?

I have the RSS center and have a pair of Soul non-valved SMD that was I thinking about installing.

I want to shed the 90# but is it going to be too loud? I probably won’t pass the sound restrictions at Laguna Seca and Sonoma I presume. So far with just the CMD no issues with sound at Sonoma. I don’t think I had the RSS when I went to Laguna.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:18 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaz
Any updates on this thread?

I have the RSS center and have a pair of Soul non-valved SMD that was I thinking about installing.

I want to shed the 90# but is it going to be too loud? I probably won’t pass the sound restrictions at Laguna Seca and Sonoma I presume. So far with just the CMD no issues with sound at Sonoma. I don’t think I had the RSS when I went to Laguna.
Deleting the side mufflers with any center bypass will make it considerably louder. Depending on the setup, it may drone quite a bit too. I have a SW center and Soul non valved sides and it's LOUD
Old 05-16-2023, 11:00 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
Deleting the side mufflers with any center bypass will make it considerably louder. Depending on the setup, it may drone quite a bit too. I have a SW center and Soul non valved sides and it's LOUD
Yea that’s what I’m afraid of especially being in CA not sure if it will pass smog too.

I actually really love the sound of the RSS center. Maybe I need to source 991 Ti center then do the Soul
SMD non valved.

Anyone have clips of the Dundon system?
Old 05-17-2023, 01:17 AM
C.Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My setup is close to Point2Point's: Fabspeed catted headers, Soul side muffler deletes, and stock muffler. And I found it to be perfect too after some trial and error. Stock headers and track muffler (that deleted the sides) was fatiguing and mandated earplugs.

But I recently blew out the center muffler, so I'm back to considering options. Anyone try Soul's center?
Old 05-17-2023, 11:55 AM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.Connor
My setup is close to Point2Point's: Fabspeed catted headers, Soul side muffler deletes, and stock muffler. And I found it to be perfect too after some trial and error. Stock headers and track muffler (that deleted the sides) was fatiguing and mandated earplugs.

But I recently blew out the center muffler, so I'm back to considering options. Anyone try Soul's center?
I’ve heard that having aftermarket headers and stock center muffler will blow and you just confirmed it. Yes I’m really contemplating on adding the Soul Non valved SMD but probably will be too loud.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:22 PM
pputkowski
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by C.Connor

Dundon or Akro
Old 05-20-2023, 02:30 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

I really like my setup with valved Soul sides and M&M center. Stock headers and cats. Valves closed and opened when I want using the Carnewal remote:
http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...PSE-Controller

JB
Old 05-20-2023, 02:43 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Best way to hear these cars is watching Rally videos:
The following 2 users liked this post by JB911:
madmurdock (05-21-2023), SupraSaiyan (05-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?