Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2008 GT2 photo shoot (teaser)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by nle
Killer combo one-two punch Steve! Two of the greatest Porsches ever made in one garage.
Thank you my friend, and that nicely sums up how I feel about them too.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:06 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

TITZ in black!
Old 08-20-2020, 09:10 PM
ArDs
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Never driven a GT2. How does the GT2 compare to the GT3RS? I've heard that the GT2 doesn't sound as good as the NA GT3, but drive wise, handling, etc. what feels different about the two?
Old 08-22-2020, 02:35 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Something's out there lurking through the smoke.....

Old 08-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Hmmmm, looks like.....

The following users liked this post:
TB993tt (08-23-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Incoming confirmed.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sun Ra:
atlrvr (08-22-2020), mchrono (08-23-2020), Steve Theodore (08-23-2020), TB993tt (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:38 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Sun Ra
Incoming confirmed.

Love white 7-2’s!
Old 08-23-2020, 12:04 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 260 Posts

↑ beautiful!! Congrats on your purchase!!! Saw your WTB ad not too long ago. How did you get one so quickly to NZ???
Old 08-23-2020, 01:52 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ArDs
Never driven a GT2. How does the GT2 compare to the GT3RS? I've heard that the GT2 doesn't sound as good as the NA GT3, but drive wise, handling, etc. what feels different about the two?
They are fun to compare but ultimately have two completely different characters. Both offer a high level of feedback and mechanical sounds/feels that I absolutely love (compared to the relative isolation that comes from more modern cars), but the engines are incredibly different.

Whereas the GT2 lacks a bit of initial response, and a lot of sound, until the revs start to build, it becomes a real torque filled experience that pushes you with big-time urgency as you explore the power-band. At the top of the rev range it's extremely easy to bump the rev limiter, which is one reason you'll generally find the DME over-rev reports for GT2s to have lots of Range 1 to Range 4s in it. You can actually hit Range 4s from simply hitting the rev limiter hard enough! The GT2 does like to boogie though, and is very stable in corners and can generally be enjoyed on every type of road. Let's not forget that this car actually equaled the mighty Carrera GT on the Nurburgring with its official lap time!

The GT3RS on the other hand is like the perfect dance partner. She has plenty of response even down low, a much more linear and predictable power-band, and screams a siren song that you never get tired of hearing. She gives you confidence in all that you do, but makes you work for it whereas you can actually carry speed more effortlessly in the GT2 due to the torque. I've owned my GT3 RS for over 7 glorious years already, and she is the one I'd hold onto and the one I never want to sell. I often tell people I'll only sell my GT3 RS after I can no longer operate a manual transmission, but the truth of the matter is that I'll probably hold onto her a bit longer. In my mind, and for my money, the 997.2 GT3 RS is my perfect car. The love affair truly never ends!
Old 08-23-2020, 03:09 PM
jgorscak
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
They are fun to compare but ultimately have two completely different characters. Both offer a high level of feedback and mechanical sounds/feels that I absolutely love (compared to the relative isolation that comes from more modern cars), but the engines are incredibly different.

Whereas the GT2 lacks a bit of initial response, and a lot of sound, until the revs start to build, it becomes a real torque filled experience that pushes you with big-time urgency as you explore the power-band. At the top of the rev range it's extremely easy to bump the rev limiter, which is one reason you'll generally find the DME over-rev reports for GT2s to have lots of Range 1 to Range 4s in it. You can actually hit Range 4s from simply hitting the rev limiter hard enough! The GT2 does like to boogie though, and is very stable in corners and can generally be enjoyed on every type of road. Let's not forget that this car actually equaled the mighty Carrera GT on the Nurburgring with its official lap time!

The GT3RS on the other hand is like the perfect dance partner. She has plenty of response even down low, a much more linear and predictable power-band, and screams a siren song that you never get tired of hearing. She gives you confidence in all that you do, but makes you work for it whereas you can actually carry speed more effortlessly in the GT2 due to the torque. I've owned my GT3 RS for over 7 glorious years already, and she is the one I'd hold onto and the one I never want to sell. I often tell people I'll only sell my GT3 RS after I can no longer operate a manual transmission, but the truth of the matter is that I'll probably hold onto her a bit longer. In my mind, and for my money, the 997.2 GT3 RS is my perfect car. The love affair truly never ends!
^^ Well said. Although both cars come from the same 997 era, they offer quite a different experience. I had an aftermarket exhaust on the GT2 (believe it was sharkwerks?) which improve the note. I found the first 3500RPMs to be a little boring but beyond that look out! Then just the look of the GT2 I found very pleasing (loved the side air ducts and the GT2 wing).

The 3 RS is a blast even just to drive to the local grocery store, the 2 needed to get the speed up there to create that same smile.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (08-23-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 12:42 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

In a stroke of good fortune, I've been scheduled for another photo shoot inside a local studio later this week. More teaser photos to come soon it would seem!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:40 AM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
You know I'd love that. Last year the same photographers shot our Carrara White GT3 RS alongside our Basalt Black Metallic GT2, but you know I'd jump at the chance to do a double GT2 shoot!
I’m up for this. It’s a nice drive out to North Bend from Seattle.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:24 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bsquare
I’m up for this. It’s a nice drive out to North Bend from Seattle.
Let's absolutely do it. I'll let the photographers know and will send you a PM to help coordinate. That would be so much fun!

Quick Reply: 2008 GT2 photo shoot (teaser)