Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Building what some would call the Antithesis of a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 02:00 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Building what some would call the Antithesis of a GT3

Flame Suit made of Vibranium On Figured it was time to post some details on my “new to me” 997.1 GT3. I’ve spent most of my Porsche ownership with Aircooled cars, owning both 964s and 993s. I loved the analog feeling, sounds and smells of those cars but I found myself always modifying them (full suspension, etc) striving for a driving experience that I soon realized I would never achieve without building a $50k+ motor and tranny. Then, on a whim, I went to drive a 997.1 GT3 that was for sale locally to me. From the first 5 minutes behind the wheel, I realized it was everting I was trying to build with my aircooled cars, but right out of the box in stock form! I was hooked and my search for the right example started. That was over a year and a half ago . I worked with Doug at Switch Cars to help me find the “perfect” car, which I soon realized was a daunting task. Doug presented a bunch of really good options to me and finally I found the right one that checked all the right boxes! Basically the way I would have built it if I ordered new back then. I purchased from Holt Motorsports, where I actually got my last 3 cars from. Tim is a great guy, super easy to deal with and always has pristine examples!

The car had 35kmi, full front PPF and was completely stock except for an M&M full exhaust system which I loved at first, but soon realized it would be too loud for my tastes (you’ll understand when you see what came next). So I searched the country (I must have called at least 25 shops) for a complete OEM take off system and finally found one at Cantrell Motorsports on the West Coast. OEM headers for these cars are to come by. Honestly, the car sounds so good in stock form IMHO, I’m not sure I’ll ever touch the exhaust again…..maybe some valved side deletes, but we’ll see

Part of the reason I wanted a 997.1, was the ability to fairly easily add rear seats, since most of the mounting hardware is already there. 997.2 removed the mounting sheet metal for rear belts and 991’s have nothing left as far as I know. On the .1, all the holes are there, but plugged. Its just a mater of sourcing the side brackets to hold the rear seatbacks in place. I sourced the parts from forum members, DC Auto and PCNA (where I felt new would be best and safest). Most say, “if you want back seats, but a turbo”, but we all know those are totally different animals. Nothing beats winding these cars out!!

Last up to to tackle the audio system. I love the sounds this car makes bit for those longer drives, and when the kids are requesting the Frozen 2 soundtrack, something had to be done. My car was optioned with Sound Package Plus. I think my iPhone sounds better then that system (LOL smiley). It was important that I kept things simple and in factory location so we used a nice set of Morel point source coax speakers and installed them in the factory woofer door cage, added an Arc Audi mini amp in the factory amp location in the frunk and installed a Kenwood HU with proper color matched trim kit and Porsche logo boot screen (from Rod at CAI). System sounds amazing and didn’t add much weight, if any at all.

So, at the end of all of this, I did the opposite of what a majority of GT3 owners would do - I made my GT3 quieter, added backseats for the kiddies, upgraded the audio and, IMHO, build the perfect car for me! I f’in love this thing!!

More to come as I do more.....I usually can’t help myself but to tinker (SMILEY).....maybe DSC, maybe KW clubsports, dundon stuff.....we’ll see.

Last edited by GBX; 10-29-2020 at 02:51 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by GBX:
911Jetta (11-12-2020), bweSteve (11-29-2020), cbracerx (05-28-2021), enve46 (11-13-2020), I am the Walrus (11-28-2020), nstymatt (10-31-2020), paddlefoot64 (10-29-2020), Steve Theodore (10-30-2020), zshecht7792 (10-29-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2020, 03:07 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 358 Posts

Love it! I think its the perfect gt3 as well. If I could only have one car, it would be a gt3, and this is what I would do to it (I have four kiddos!).
Old 10-29-2020, 03:15 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

looking forward, i would be interested to know what potential buyers are going to say. yes, i know you built it for yourself, i'm just projecting. i think it would be interesting to see what people think/say. someone might love it for it's functionality, just like you do.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:23 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

I say bravo! Exactly what I would like to have, some day.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:26 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 380 Posts

Everything seems reversible so I don't think the OP's mods are going to have any impact of future value. Kudos for making your car YOUR car. Too many people care about what others will think and don't enjoy what they have and make it their own.

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
looking forward, i would be interested to know what potential buyers are going to say. yes, i know you built it for yourself, i'm just projecting. i think it would be interesting to see what people think/say. someone might love it for it's functionality, just like you do.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:44 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 779 Posts

Nice! I specifically bought my 997.1 gt3 so could on occasion take my little ones for a ride
Old 10-29-2020, 05:41 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 268 Posts

Nice. Enjoy your car. No need for asbestos suit here. Lol
Old 10-29-2020, 06:15 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Kudos and congrats. Can you share some of your criteria/options that made finding the right one a challenge.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Thanks for sharing. You have a really nice car. Ultimately I don't think anyone should have an issue with the mods you did. Everything is reversible and it really looks like you made the perfect road trip car or something that you can enjoy with the family. Quieter is good in many cases, specifically long drives or around town. The back seats means that you can enjoy the car with more people. The audio system also means that you can truly enjoy the drive with music and also bluetooth audio and CarPlay. Enjoy the car. Share what else you do to it. Interesting to see how people enjoy their GT3's in different ways. For some it's sitting in the garage looking at it, for others it's track time, for others it's backroad drives and some it's cars and coffee.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:20 PM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice example, the full leather package really adds that "premium feel" to the cabin too... and that leather wheel isn't a bad move for a road car either, the Alcantara wheel goes to cr*p and is harder to stay on top of! A "smart spec" by the original owner.

Here in Australia, there is a number of 997.1's getting around with 4 seat compliance tags (basically road legal plate) from new (however still only front seats fitted), so there are guys who've added the rear seats and the car is 100% legal without jumping through the hoops, I am not sure how it works stateside but here by default GT3's were only complied as 2 seater, so its a bit of a process to get one legal if you didnt find the 4 seat complied examples.

As such, I have a couple mates who, like you, added the rear seats... why not share an awesome car with your kids I say? Kudos
Old 10-30-2020, 10:30 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I love it. I have one that’s too big for the back seats now and another that will be soon so enjoy it while you can. We’ve had some good times in our 911s over the years.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:01 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 309 Posts

Your flame suit is not required here, as you have personalized the car perfectly for your own tastes and situation. Looks like a job well done...congratulations!
Old 10-30-2020, 03:34 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Having had both dsc on a .1 and kw Motorsport 3 ways, I would recommend the kw hands down. You can ask Jamie at Dundon or Joey at emotion about them.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:15 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the kind words/comments.

I treat every car I own as if I'll keep it forever so resale is never really on my mind. If/when I decide to sell, I'll figure it out. Everything is reversible but I also believe that there will be a few who want back seats, etc but don't want to go thru the hassle of sourcing and installing the parts themselves.

Right now, I'm just driving it and loving it! Put 2k miles on it in the 2 months I've owned it

Next question is a simple one....vanity plates. I've had them on all my aircooled cars but on the fence about getting another for this car. Here are a few I'm considering:

Love this one, but is it really true? 997 was the last Mezger used in a GT3, but it was technically the .2 or even the RS4.0 that was the last.

this one seems fitting for the rear seats...for those who know just know

Last edited by GBX; 10-30-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:49 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Personal opinion here but no. They should call them VAINity plates. Just another awesome way to pay additional taxes.....

Quick Reply: Building what some would call the Antithesis of a GT3