Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Power Steering Leak on Passenger Side Source?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 10:28 AM
cullenj94
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
You can buy the Pentosin fluid at Autozone, and top it off. BTW, checking the level is weird, I've seen different directions on how to do it. Crank the engine cold, shut it off and you have about 20-30 seconds to check the dipstick and it should hit the Cold mark. But I've also seen other directions, and I believe it's the same with hot engine. Shut it off and in 20 seconds get a dipstick reading for hot level. I'll try to look for it and post a screen shot. The problem is other 911s have a different system than the GT3 and probably different instructions on taking a reading(Turbo, Carrera, Carrera S,etc) So you obviously don't want to be overfilled or under.
But do rinse it off asap, and don't let it hit paint. I would then run the engine and see if it's a very slow drip or worse-

What year is your car?
It's a .1 2007. I cleaned everything up the best I could, but there is definitely a leak somewhere. I put a fresh piece of cardboard underneath and it already has some splotches. I'll try and take a closer look at the diagrams you posted. Thank you for that!
Old 02-24-2021, 10:55 AM
cullenj94
Track Day

Originally Posted by MJFDDS
When mine leaked, it was exactly on the same parts you showed in your initial photo. I don’t remember if I saw anything coming from the hoses. I only saw the soiled parts and hydraulic fluid in the ground. A shop had just worked on my car with the motor out so I took it back there. They found it to be one of those hoses slowly leaking.
I hope it's that. Sounds like an easier fix. I plan to take it in soon, so will update everyone on what the issue is.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:23 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

I would rinse the fluid off immediately with water/garden hose, especially any coolant hoses because the fluid can destroy rubber
Old 02-24-2021, 12:19 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't know if this helps, but this is what the assembly looks like somewhat apart
The low pressure in is a small O-ring

Ray

Old 02-24-2021, 01:57 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

If you read the detailed screenshot I posted before, the .1 cars from 26 June 2007 have the Variant 2 setup(hopefully that's the case for you. Otherwise upgrade to the Variant 2 as soon as you can(now since you stated you'll take the car to be serviced)
Here is the part about the Variant 1, before June 26 2007 cars. The nightmare here is if the axial play is beyond the limit, the pressure hose number 6 must be replaced, and that means dropping engine and transmission. Hopefully not your case

Last edited by JB911; 02-24-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:06 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Continued:

So hopefully if your axial play is acceptable, have the Variant 2 installed even if this is not the part leaking. If the play is beyond limit, it says to replace hose 6 and as mentioned that involves dropping the engine and transmission. So I'd say owners with Variant 1 should upgrade to Variant2 asap even if you have no leaks, before axial play exceeds the limit-

Also, see if it's possible to change the title on this thread to Hydraulic leak or power steering leak instead of coolant since it appears to be the case, it will make it easier to find if someone is searching-

Last edited by JB911; 02-24-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:32 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

So I knew I had read before that someone had replaced hose number 6 without dropping the engine and transmission. Pretty clever, so here's the link-but in his case it looks like he kept Variant1 and I might post on his thread a reference to this one, since Variant 2 should be installed:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...e-997-gt3.html
Old 02-24-2021, 02:59 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche coolant is pink
Old 02-24-2021, 08:40 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by cullenj94
I'm not 100% positive of the fluid. I assumed coolant because of the greenish hue to it. Is there an easy way to know? I did take it around the block before really looking into it and didn't notice any abnormalities in driving or steering? The coolant lines are pinned if that would make a difference?
each fluid had a unique taste / smell if you want to troubleshoot.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:15 PM
cullenj94
Track Day

Originally Posted by surlynkid
Porsche coolant is pink
I've come to realize that haha. This is most likely hydraulic fluid. Anyone know if it's possible to change the thread title to help others who may have a similar problem in the future? 🤔
Old 02-24-2021, 09:18 PM
cullenj94
Track Day

Originally Posted by cgfen
each fluid had a unique taste / smell if you want to troubleshoot.
As others have already pointed out I'm a bit slow with my fluid colorations and identifications. I did actually do a taste test when I first saw the leak (always a smart idea 😆) but that was of no help. Honestly didn't have any taste that I could point to.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:55 PM
cullenj94
Track Day

Originally Posted by JB911
Continued:
So hopefully if your axial play is acceptable, have the Variant 2 installed even if this is not the part leaking. If the play is beyond limit, it says to replace hose 6 and as mentioned that involves dropping the engine and transmission. So I'd say owners with Variant 1 should upgrade to Variant2 asap even if you have no leaks, before axial play exceeds the limit-

Also, see if it's possible to change the title on this thread to Hydraulic leak or power steering leak instead of coolant since it appears to be the case, it will make it easier to find if someone is searching-
My car was made in March 2007 so I have variant 1. I was looking back through service history and a previous owner did experience a power steering leak back in 2016 that was remedied. See picture. I hope they upgraded to variant 2 then? Any idea of knowing from this service receipt. Was quite a labor intensive job from the looks of it. Looking into changing the name of thread too! I shouldn't have assumed when creating this.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Want to never have this problem again and “gain” horsepower whilst losing weight in the back, and better distributing whatever weight is left?

Put a Porsche Motorsport, electric-powered, hydraulic, power steering pump in the front. PM me if you need help.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:41 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Your receipt says "R&I engine and transmission assembly" so it looks like they removed and installed engine and trans to replace the entire hose number 6. So hopefully it doesn't have to be replaced again
I would assume they put in the Variant 2 coupler and you could just compare to the screenshots I posted.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Hey folks, so that is 99% pentosin leaking from the PS reservoir or one of the lines. Its common at the press to fit line on the right side of the reservoir. Have it looked at. here's the problem. The lines are long and you have to drop motor to replace. Some have cut the lines and joined them with a union to keep from having to drop motor. That's why the labor is high. I went through this a couple years ago...

The other issue, pentosin is highly flammable. Secondly it will cause those rubber seals and gaskets to swell (the ones down by your water jacket connections).

So get it fixed. You may need to replace the seals down low depending how long it's been seeping.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak on Passenger Side Source?