Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Best insurance carrier for agreed upon value

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:05 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 381 Posts

I'm currently using Hagerty but am getting a quote from porscheautoinsurance.com. They offer agreed value coverage, use all OEM parts for repairs, plus charge you by the mile driven. I got a quote for about $600/yr with $110K agreed value, 5,000 miles/yr, highest liability coverage, and $500 deductible. This is a lot less than my Hagerty coverage. I think I will be switching soon but want to chat with them first to fully understand their coverage. Anyone else using them? It looks like the insurance is offered via Mile Premier and licensed by Porsche.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:59 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by my first 911
what qualifies as a classic?
I was told 25 years or older.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:01 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
I'm currently using Hagerty but am getting a quote from porscheautoinsurance.com. They offer agreed value coverage, use all OEM parts for repairs, plus charge you by the mile driven. I got a quote for about $600/yr with $110K agreed value, 5,000 miles/yr, highest liability coverage, and $500 deductible. This is a lot less than my Hagerty coverage. I think I will be switching soon but want to chat with them first to fully understand their coverage. Anyone else using them? It looks like the insurance is offered via Mile Premier and licensed by Porsche.
Seems like only in 3 states now.. you are lucky if they are in fact that much cheaper than Hagerty.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:32 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by noro78
Seems like only in 3 states now.. you are lucky if they are in fact that much cheaper than Hagerty.
I wonder if they would cover car registered in different state but stored in illionis (one of the covered states)

nvm, its on their website as long as it is garages in those 3 states, its good to go.

Last edited by Ascend; 03-14-2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:59 AM
Specracer46
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Once you are a Hagerty client, they often times accept vehicles that not "classics". In 2018, bought a brand new sports car, and they insured it, no problem. They accepted the .2 RS (11 years old).

Last edited by Specracer46; 03-15-2021 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:56 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Shopped both Hagerty and BerkleyOne and went with BerkleyOne. Put both my CS and very low mileage 993 on it and found it to be very reasonable.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:45 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Hello!

I am looking for suggestions on what insurance company I should use for a car that will be driven lightly (less then 1k/year). Do you guys have any suggestions for insurance company that will do agreed upon value?

Also, if I register car in one state but plan to store in another state, I assume I should tell that to the insurance company rite?
every state will have different options, both $$ and exclusions, so there is no one best choice.
In CA, I chose between Hagerty and American Collectors car, because all others I contacted excluded "errand" use.
Good luck defining an "errand" in court against their attorney.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:08 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

State Farm now is writing agreed value policies on vehicles over 10 years old. I received a very competitive quote with an agreed value on my 2010 RS. Might check with your local State Farm agent. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2021, 10:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
State Farm now is writing agreed value policies on vehicles over 10 years old. I received a very competitive quote with an agreed value on my 2010 RS. Might check with your local State Farm agent. Good luck!
Mark, is it under their classic policy? I talked with my agent about doing so and he seemed to think he possibly could do it but there were also some restrictions and at the time I didn’t pursue it. This was 1.5 years ago. He initially asked for 6 or so pics of the car, wanted to know annual mileage, etc.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:44 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, it is under their classic policy. For classic, the car just has to be over 10 years old. My agent had to come out and photograph the car and I had to provide some documentation on how I came up with my value. He did not discuss any mileage limit (but I rarely put on over 2000 miles in a year) and they will allow me to turn on and off my collision coverage when the car is in storage for the winter.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:45 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
Yes, it is under their classic policy. For classic, the car just has to be over 10 years old. My agent had to come out and photograph the car and I had to provide some documentation on how I came up with my value. He did not discuss any mileage limit (but I rarely put on over 2000 miles in a year) and they will allow me to turn on and off my collision coverage when the car is in storage for the winter.
Thanks Mark. Exactly what I needed to know. I’ll talk with my agent again about it.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:21 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts

I had agreed value on my 997.1 GT3 from Cincinnati Insurance, I will use them again when my GT4 arrives.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:01 AM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

I have home, cars, etc. covered by Pure Insurance. Agreed values on four cars total, including 997.1 GT3 RS and 997.1 C2. Rates seem a bit higher than some of those quoted above, but there are no use/mileage limitations.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:36 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by noro78
Grundy has consistently given lower premiums than Hagerty in my case with my older BMWs that I no longer have. The latest quote I got from Hagerty for the gt3 was downright garbage compare to Liberty Mutual. With my '72 and '91 BMWs the Grundy premiums were really low. Sadly I got to test out Grundy in "accident mode" also and they were downright GREAT.. Fast processing, got everything from them as agreed without drama. As soon as my GT3 gets old enough for Grundy to underwrite it as a classic I will join them.
Grundy has a Modern Classic policy. I have my 2007 GT3 on it. Had my 2002 Z06 on the Modern Classic policy years ago. Still better than Hagerty or standard policies. But, yes, Grundy's "Historic" or "Classic" policies are super reasonable.

Last edited by RallyeChris; 03-16-2021 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 381 Posts

*Disclaimer: I am not associated with PAI whatsoever. Just passing on info to the community about my experience.*

I just switched to Porsche Auto Insurance. I spoke with Scott Johnson (ext 320) and he was very helpful. PAI is basically a DBA for Mile Premier Insurance. It is a mileage-based policy and they are the designated insurance company/partner of Porsche and license their name. They were selected by Porsche NA out of over 30 companies vying for the business. The company is headquartered in Atlanta. Currently in 4 states but will be rolling out in the rest of the country over the next couple years. Some helpful feedback about their coverage:
  • There are no restrictions on where/when I can drive my car. It's mileage based so my premium is based on estimated miles driven every 6 months. My rate happens to be approx 7 cents/mile (YMMV). I have to provide a photo of the odometer for each premium renewal period and they will true me up based on actual miles driven every time I renew. If I go over the estimate, they will charge 7 cents/mile over the estimated miles driven. If I go under, they credit me the same rate for the next premium period. You can renew monthly or every 6 months.
  • Glass coverage is included and they will either try to repair or replace. If a replacement is needed, they will pay for OEM Porsche glass.
  • Agreed value works as expected and they will reimburse you full agreed value, minus deductible in case of a total loss.
  • I can use any valid repair shop for repairs. They will also recommend a Porsche-certified shop in your area.
  • They will cover OEM Porsche parts. If you have mods, they will cover up to $4000 in after-market parts, but you should probably do more research on this. They did not ask me which mods I have installed. It seems they are pretty flexible about mods.

Overall, it was a good buying experience and I end up saving several hundred dollars per year compared to Hagerty. My 6-month premium is $325 for 2,500 miles, max liability coverage, $110K agreed value, plus some other basic coverage. For reference, I am 55, no accident history, and my GT3 is not my primary vehicle. I recommend checking them out if you are shopping for insurance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
cbracerx (05-27-2021), Fisher (04-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Best insurance carrier for agreed upon value