Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

‘11 GT3 RS 4.0 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 01:24 AM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I prefer the heavy OEM battery for street cars.
Seconded.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:42 AM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_the_Spirit
All hypotheticals posted by you or someone else. I would have expected numbers or some evidence lending credence to your post as a tech. For a company that I quote, “sells thousands of batteries a month,” where is the evidence on excessive battery drain from using a product I recommended and have used? You post nothing but hypothetical and biased “what-it’s.” A company as astounding as Scott and others allude should make this quite short for us here on Rennlist. After all, Scott unequivocally stated there isn’t a more prolific litho company in Porsche’s than you. Can you tell me the draw from a radio on 997gt3? How about running the fans (radiator) for 10min after an event while vehicle is off? Or even better, power differentials from a 7ah to your large automotive battery necessary to turn over a mezger block when under 40 degrees?
Sharkwerks replaced my (more than 7Ah) lithium battery with a factory lead acid when they installed the 4.1L motor because it did not have the juice to reliably get everything running. I'll be putting in an Antigravity shortly. One good anecdote deserves another, right?
Old 05-26-2021, 01:50 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I guess I have offended you, didn't try to do that. I was just trying to say that a small 8 Amp Hour Motorcycle Battery in a Modern Era Porsche is not the best choice. If you read my post I said "in general its not a good idea". I explained it can work for some people but you will have to watch or maintain the battery much more and that is an accurate statement. I can't give you specific draw numbers on a 997 GT3 RS, nor really many cars because that can vary greatly across all cars depending if you have aftermarket accessories like Camera, Radar Detectors, USB plug in devices, Bluetooth devices and even temperature. But in general there is a baseline Amp Draw on 997s as in most all modern cars due to electronics.

But what I can do is give you some general facts that just solidify my point so you understand I"m not attacking your stance but rather just giving the people who read this a better understanding of Batteries.

Porsches come stock with a 70Amp Hour or 80Ah Battery in their Cars... so there is a reason that the Engineers did that for that... Its due to having enough capacity to run electronics, lighting in case of emergency and have overhead to cover leaving the lights or stereo on when kicking back in the car. It is also for decent storage time in the Garage and good Cold weather starting. So an 8 Amp Hour Motorcycle Battery is not capable of offering that so it is not something Porsche nor any Auto Manufacturer is going to recommend except perhaps is a race or track only use. It is sort of like offering an Pint of water as reserve when they normally get a gallon of water

Porsches have Electric Power Steering, and also some have Rear Assisted Steering as well, additionally in the Sport Modes they draw more current than driving in Normal modes and when those modes and functions are all turned on the amp draw from these devices goes up substantially and can in fact draw more current that the alternator can put out quickly, so a larger battery assists in meeting that higher current demand and supports the alternator for a few moments. But if the car senses a voltage anomaly like undervoltage even for a micro-second it will throw a flag, and the chance of this happening with a smaller battery is much higher since it has so little battery capacity.... This is also why you see so many flags in Porsches when the battery is low or going bad. It is because the battery no longer has the capacity to hold a voltage under load. Keep in mind I did not even put in the A/C or other models that have heated seats...

So understand you can do whatever you want personally and if that works for you great, but Antigravity is a company that is pretty conservative on recommendations and doesn't want a Customer to say we recommended a product that won't work correctly under overall typical uses, nor as a direct replacement battery when the majority of Customers are not Racers or Track people. You will not see us offering our Smaller Lithium Motorcycle Batteries for Porsches here or for other Cars unless they are Race specific because of the low Capacity and potential for Flags. Last, keep in mind your use of a battery might be only in good weather mainly where as others maybe drive in much colder climates, and you may not have aftermarket or other accessories and maybe you drive more often than others so you battery stays re-charged more often. At Antigravity we are selling to a broad swath of uses, we want Customers who can just put a battery in an forget about it and say it works great and does not require special monitoring or the potential for issues. So just wanted to explain that better.
No victim playing here now…. Evidence as only noted based upon reading a brochure or taking a look under the hood. Come on, my 8yr old cousin can draw a similar conclusion. They come with large 60+ amp batteries because of the extreme temperatures incurred during testing and “odd or excessive” draw from leaving a light on or booming that box. Not many people drive their cars in 0F or lower temps. We all know low/hi temps kill batteries. However, for the 99% that drive them above 40 degrees, a sub 10amp or “Motorcycle” battery is more than sufficient to run ALL electronics as well as have reserve for cool downs or playing the radio. If that wasn’t the case, I’d be lying to those here on RL. I’ve been doing such since ‘16. Olsen was doing it 3yrs before me on non-BMS lithos without an issue.

You recommend what you want. I’ll do the same. Like I said to Scott two years ago in another Litho thread, you aren’t preaching anything new to those that have run sub 10amp batteries successfully. If your product is so great, there really isn’t a need for a tech to now play marketeer.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:52 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by bsquare
Sharkwerks replaced my (more than 7Ah) lithium battery with a factory lead acid when they installed the 4.1L motor because it did not have the juice to reliably get everything running. I'll be putting in an Antigravity shortly. One good anecdote deserves another, right?

How old was the battery? I routinely take out a DME on a 911 and crank in 3-4 sessions to bring up the pressure. I HIGHLY doubt the battery couldn’t pull it. You’re talking in excess of 500 pulse amps on something greater than 7amps. Come on man….
Old 05-26-2021, 01:04 PM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_the_Spirit
How old was the battery? I routinely take out a DME on a 911 and crank in 3-4 sessions to bring up the pressure. I HIGHLY doubt the battery couldn’t pull it. You’re talking in excess of 500 pulse amps on something greater than 7amps. Come on man….
It was quite recent and was marginal on supplying enough cranking amps.

The main thing I've learned from this thread is based on your attitude and approach, whatever you sell I will not be buying.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

h6/group 48 or larger that will fit AGM and keep on a tender. don't screw around with lithium in a car you aren't driving much. you won't feel the weight
Old 05-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by bsquare
It was quite recent and was marginal on supplying enough cranking amps.

The main thing I've learned from this thread is based on your attitude and approach, whatever you sell I will not be buying.
Oh boy. An upgraded 4.1 with some added squish now exceeds battery requirements. You do what’s best for you. But I’ll be damned if sharkwerks upgraded the electronics outside of OE.

Selling? Must know something I don’t.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:36 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by Spyerx
h6/group 48 or larger that will fit AGM and keep on a tender. don't screw around with lithium in a car you aren't driving much. you won't feel the weight
Keeping on an Optimate will yield the same. All comes down to care of end user. In the odd 5yrs, I’ve had to use the litho to get my Tdi going after a dead flooded cell. Yes, Lithos require more extensive care. But the benefits (of which are great), overcome the drawbacks.
weight. Agreed. Not many will ever feel 45lbs on any 2500+ auto. Then again, what’s an easy start to making your own lightweight special…
Old 05-26-2021, 03:12 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

H6 Group 48
sale starts again on 5/28
Do you use a maintainer when it sits for a while?
thanks
Old 05-26-2021, 03:15 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Do use the Porsche maintainer? Ctek?
Old 05-26-2021, 03:20 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Antigravity
As an FYI, we did a PRE-MEMORIAL Day sale because we did a special email blast with Rennlist, and a Home page take over with a bunch of our Banners on the Rennlist Home page.... BUT we still are going to have a normal Memorial day sale, but it won't be advertised on Rennlist since we did this early sale so we could tie it in with the Rennlist email and such...

So on the 28th we have our regular Memorial day sale and you can get the deal then...
I will order one Friday. Any problem using the Porsche maintainer when not in use?
Old 05-26-2021, 03:25 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
I will order one Friday. Any problem using the Porsche maintainer when not in use?
Hi Dertub, no issue provided it has the Lithium Profile option.otherwise the CTEK lithium model would be the one we recommend.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:03 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Mooty, why?
Old 07-16-2021, 02:50 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

So the 30ah H6/G48 battery can be installed in 997.2 3/RS without any programming from dealer, etc. Just plug and play? Thx!
Old 07-16-2021, 03:12 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Voltage is Voltage amongst lead acid/agm (even though very minute output differs). Litho option in the Porsche tool can be selected for account for the charge rate.

Amperage is obviously different and your car “shouldn’t” know the difference.

I’ve seen H4’s installed over the years in various GT3’s at cars/coffee events. As said before, “ain’t no thing.”

Quick Reply: ‘11 GT3 RS 4.0 Battery