Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antigravity battery fault - can anyone advise ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 06:09 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Battery/generator fault - can anyone advise ?

Folks, some help from those of you with experience of the AG batteries.
The error message in the pic below popped up today for the first time ever, my alternator is quite new so thinking it must be something to do with the battery, the model I have is
Antigravity H6/Group-48 Car Battery 60AH
The Unit is 10 months old, it hasn't been on the charger for a while but has been in regular use.

Any ideas what to do, I stuck it back on the charger and will plug into into Durametric later to see if there's a code, but has anyone else experienced this ?

andean ruminant 5 letters

Last edited by TB993tt; 10-29-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:50 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fault code was P1699 Communication with generator interrupted

I've erased fault code and it hasn't come straight back yet any thoughts ?

Thks
Old 10-05-2021, 07:34 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

Test the battery and the alternator with a multimeter.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:55 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

GT2 w/ 68k miles??
Good on you mate

contact @Antigravity ? They seem to have good customer service
Old 10-05-2021, 10:24 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Fault code was P1699 Communication with generator interrupted

I've erased fault code and it hasn't come straight back yet any thoughts ?

Thks

Did you reach out to us yet TB? I'm not at the office but just wondering. If the battery is low on energy or hasn't been charged in a while and not driven enough to keep it charged then that could be a low voltage error potentially. But you also said you Alternator was newer... so is it newer than the battery? The battery will work the same as always if its in a regular state of charge. Please note that the battery is just a storage vessel for energy, it does not PUSH energy into any part of the car, in fact energy is only pulled from it when a circuit is completed such as turning on a light switch. It is the same with the starter motor... the pull the energy from the battery. So be assured the battery isn't hurting anything.

My other question would be is the battery sitting at 13.2v and have you put a good charge on it? It it is and the car is starting well it should be all good.... Porsches can be a bit finicky with voltage but also is something interupts the signal it can throw a fault but won't have anything to do with the battery also. So check the voltage of the battery first.... see if the flag comes back since you cleared it.... it might have been a low battery or simply the alternator doing something under load.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:00 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
…Porsches can be a bit finicky with voltage…
Freaking understatement of the month. It’s only getting worse…
The following users liked this post:
MC 968CS (10-21-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 05:42 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
Test the battery and the alternator with a multimeter.
Beyond my DIY skill set unfortunately - but thanks for the response.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:44 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Did you reach out to us yet TB? I'm not at the office but just wondering. If the battery is low on energy or hasn't been charged in a while and not driven enough to keep it charged then that could be a low voltage error potentially. But you also said you Alternator was newer... so is it newer than the battery? The battery will work the same as always if its in a regular state of charge. Please note that the battery is just a storage vessel for energy, it does not PUSH energy into any part of the car, in fact energy is only pulled from it when a circuit is completed such as turning on a light switch. It is the same with the starter motor... the pull the energy from the battery. So be assured the battery isn't hurting anything.

My other question would be is the battery sitting at 13.2v and have you put a good charge on it? It it is and the car is starting well it should be all good.... Porsches can be a bit finicky with voltage but also is something interupts the signal it can throw a fault but won't have anything to do with the battery also. So check the voltage of the battery first.... see if the flag comes back since you cleared it.... it might have been a low battery or simply the alternator doing something under load.
I didn't contact you guys as I wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else and was a common quirk maybe. Thanks for the detailed reply, I reset the error code, stuck it in the charger, and the light seems to be staying off.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:45 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

I didn't contact you guys as I wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else and was a common quirk maybe. Thanks for the detailed reply, I reset the error code, stuck it in the charger, and the light seems to be staying off.
Great, let us know if anything comes up and we can have you test some other stuff, but being honest we don't see this often. Yes there are occasional flags when any battery gets low in a Porsche, but it usually not a battery fault for the most part, UNLESS the battery in fact is going bad and is not holding its voltage. But your Lithium Battery will last for many many years without going Bad so to speak. This is because it has built in protections to prevent it from what normally damages a lead/acid battery such as accidental over discharge into the below 9v ranges.... our battery won't allow that to happen since it has a Battery Management system inside. So if the battery is sitting at 13.2v and starting the car easy then in most circumstances all is well, but in any case always feel free to reach out to us with any questions. We know this is a new Technology and people will have questions.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (10-29-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 02:43 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

Beyond my DIY skill set unfortunately - but thanks for the response.
It's very easy and safe to do. Any cheapo multimeter will work here. If you buy one or can get access to one I can walk you through it.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:42 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Low battery charge can throw many codes on our cars..
Old 10-21-2021, 07:26 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

I’m thinking you need the electrics checked…. These aren’t exactly new cars anymore.
What caused the alternator to need replacing….?

Last edited by MC 968CS; 10-21-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:24 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
I’m thinking you need the electrics checked…. These aren’t exactly new cars anymore.
What caused the alternator to need replacing….?
I got that wrong in the first post it was the starter motor which I had replaced twice not the alternator, I had a sluggish cranking over the years and my shop blamed the starter, the reasoning was that my tuned engine was producing too much heat which was cooking starters, but ultimately I think it was the battery which was slowly giving up the ghost as since I fitted the AG battery the starter flies in a way it never did that I can remember (going back 13 years !)

Following a full charge the error warning has stayed off, I bought a cigarette lighter voltmeter so I can monitor for anything suspicious.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:33 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 796 Posts
OP,

If you think about it I'd like to know if the issue returns with time ???

I'm looking to maybe purchase the ANTIGRAVITY battery in the 60AH rating for my 2021 GT4.

Terry
Old 10-29-2021, 05:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car has been on the charger/maintainer for 4 days I took it to work this morning it showed 13.3 volts when I disconnected the charger started vigorously, about 2 miles down the road the same error light flashed up again I switched off the engine and back on again the warning came back on but then went off on its own and remained off for the duration of my 30 mile commute. I noticed it was reading around 14.2 volts for most of the trip.

I will check see if there is a stored code when I get home today.

Quick Reply: Antigravity battery fault - can anyone advise ?