Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Love my 997.2 GT3 RS, but... (SW 4.1L confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 02:32 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Awesome news regarding the 4.1 in the 997.1 RS. This is a tantalizing option. So Alex, is the Guard LSD the secret to making the .1RS capable and safe enough to handle the 4.1 power, or is anything else required to make it work? Is the HP and Torque the same as the 4.1 build for the .2RS?

Looking forward to our chat btw.

Thanks, and let's get out there and drive these incredible machines.

Chris
Old 03-27-2022, 03:43 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Stephen,
Looking at your car makes me kick myself for letting go mine.
But pandemic strike and I have no use of mine (no track days), and wife never likes to sit in it so I let it go in exchange of Roma for her (happy wife happy life).
Guess I will have to keep driving yours from now on. Don't worry, I will pay for my own gas.
The following users liked this post:
SSTHO (05-24-2023)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:42 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Awesome news regarding the 4.1 in the 997.1 RS. This is a tantalizing option. So Alex, is the Guard LSD the secret to making the .1RS capable and safe enough to handle the 4.1 power, or is anything else required to make it work? Is the HP and Torque the same as the 4.1 build for the .2RS?

Looking forward to our chat btw.

Thanks, and let's get out there and drive these incredible machines.

Chris
Hey Chris really great to meet you yesterday and we had so much fun! Thanks for driving up, I know Snowboarder54 had fun too seeing two pumpkins together. Some homework to do based on my impressions but she'd be a fine candidate for either motor:P The guard LSD is a must on any 3.9 or especially 4.1 build and since the arrival of the Pilot Sport Cup 2 that made a huge difference to power is handled (back when we started the engine program we only had cup 1s). Gearing changes in 1-2 can help (although Snowboarder manages just fine haha). There's also a marked change to the chassis set ups we do to help keep the balance of things on the gen1 especially as you saw yesterday hopefully!

There are some other differences with the motor/set up but it's close in terms of the final result yes. A few pix from yesterday's fun:
The following 3 users liked this post by sharkster:
Snowboarder54 (03-31-2022), SSTHO (05-24-2023), SupraSaiyan (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 06:25 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Awesome time Alex. I learned so much and enjoyed the time in the garage and the driving afterward. Annapolis/Skaggs is an epic road. 2nd/3rd gear action was incredible. Your cars are so well set up along with the added power and torque the motors make. What a package you and your team have developed. Cudo's well deserved! It was great to meet Snowboarder54 too. His Pumpkin is beautiful and that white 997.1 4.1 is a badass. Wow! Thanks again for a great day. 315 miles roundtrip and the time flew by. Cheers.
SSTHO (05-24-2023)
Old 04-01-2022, 12:02 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ safer hahahah. I want to spin the car around liek you did 15 years ago in your turbo.... I am still trying hard.
Haha some legends and stories go wild... I wish I could take credit for that (even though it was my car!) - it was the brave/stunt-level JVO who hit the 20k race brakes after the PSM fuse blew and somehow did a 720 on the drag strip. Amazing! But I'll take the credit haha
Old 04-02-2022, 09:13 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Spoke to Alex this past week regarding my bypass. Great guy and they are super responsive!

Love the bypass btw.

Sorry for off topic diversion but just want to say.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:47 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Wow Stephen this is AWESOME!

What a pairing--a tuned-out 997.2 RS next to a CGT--that's just pure driving bliss. I'm smiling just thinking about it!
SSTHO (05-24-2023)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:55 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'm in and cheap to hire: 2 Arby's beef n cheddar per 8 hrs lol

Would be a much more fun Trakcar style bonzai run with you though. Just need a cooler of red bull and my best Dutch accent
Just need to find the time and it'll be a blast! Miss our drives during the pandemic. Need to make up for lost time and mileage!

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Well I replaced everything with steel Motorsport synchros so I may as well put this on the list. I assume you put a down payment to get everything going?

Its cool to go back in time and read Dundon and Sharkwerks rap about this when they were engineering it… I didn’t know there was a 4.4l project in Germany.
Downpayment sent or not worth posting. Lots of projects and all fun reads, but experiencing the 3.9L SW really sold me. It was a matter of time and the right car. Midlife crisis has me wanting one car in the garage to mod!

Originally Posted by tasman
Looking forward to following this. Have considered this also. Time will tell
. Same here. Excited to dive in and have something to look forward to!

Originally Posted by cajerseyboy
Congratulations on the new build project. Great opportunity to hit the track for the next year.
Will look forward to tracking the car for a bit, but I've fully gone over to the dark side for track cars...

Originally Posted by christallon
Good luck w the build Stephen. I dropped into Sharkwerks today and had a chat w James there, (I live just up the road 30 miles away). I'm thinking of both the 4.1 build and the proper Trans to go with it. It was illuminating and exciting to consider this. James confirmed your build schedule, so it'll be great to follow your experience. Unfortunately Alex was not around, so I'll need to set a time to discuss my plans and thoughts in more detail w him when the time is right.

Best of Luck and please do keep us updated on the upcoming fun
Thanks for the well wishes! Looking forward to this more than any new acquisition. 🙂

Originally Posted by mooty
just throw your Rimowa in frunk. goto VC pick up 1921. floor it stop only for Arby's
then we haver tri tip waiting....
Short, concise and to the point! Love it as always. 😆

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
This is awesome! I love that you are doing this on a "collector" car! Once you come to the realization that a car is a "forever car" or "near forever" car, these types of decisions become easy because concerns about return on investment or impact on future market value become totally irrelevant! I will literally NEVER sell my 6-3 (not joking this time, I would rather sell every other car/possession I own and daily a the 996 before I would sell it). If I was even remotely concerned about whether I might be tempted to sell my car in the future, it would not be getting the 3.9 treatment right now! Keep us posted!
You put it well. Once I decided to keep this car, it didn't matter. Had to take my 3rd 7.2 3RS before I realized how good this car is. And its proportions, everything... it is a classic. Wanted one to drive to the ground. Will miss it when it's gone!

Originally Posted by sharkster
This will be fun mate!
Thanks Alex! Looking forward to this a lot. Excited to follow the build when it starts.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Stephen,
Looking at your car makes me kick myself for letting go mine.
But pandemic strike and I have no use of mine (no track days), and wife never likes to sit in it so I let it go in exchange of Roma for her (happy wife happy life).
Guess I will have to keep driving yours from now on. Don't worry, I will pay for my own gas.
I am happy to put you on the insurance anytime! Also you can track it anytime. Look forward to Area 27 later this June. 😃

Originally Posted by CRex
Wow Stephen this is AWESOME!

What a pairing--a tuned-out 997.2 RS next to a CGT--that's just pure driving bliss. I'm smiling just thinking about it!
Thanks A! I surprised most people, myself included, when I let go the red CGT instead of the 7.2 3RS this time. It was a great day tracking with Christian and John with the silver CGT and 7.2 3RS last year!

The following 6 users liked this post by SSTHO:
brake dust (04-04-2022), CRex (04-05-2022), ljmartyre (04-04-2022), nle (04-08-2022), SupraSaiyan (04-04-2022), Targa Tim (04-05-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2022, 02:20 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

WowThe CGT is simply gorgeous!
SSTHO (04-05-2022)
Old 05-24-2023, 10:39 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: so nice to correspond with Alex at Sharkwerks. I decided to keep the 7.2 3RS stock, bought a high-mileage, track-modded guards red 7.2 GT3 for the 4.1L SW donor. My slot for the build was coming up this July 2023... then plans changed again.

The perfect car showed up on BAT: 2011 Porsche GT3 RS with a SharkWerks 4.1L already completed. The car may actually be at Sharkwerks right now for their once over. TRAKCAR was kind enough to head to Salem, NY to inspect the car prior to consummating the deal. Alex has vouched for the quality of the car. Super curious and excited to receive and experience this car!

Also, I unexpectedly fell in love again with the plain Jane 7.2 GT3. Car drives like it has 6k miles and not 60k miles. Tracked it Sunday, ate and drank in the car without hesitation for father-daughter road trip and track day. The week before, lent it to a good friend to pop his track day cherry! Car did such a good job, that my friend secured a 7.2 3RS himself (Merit Partner's white w/gold accents car) within a week's time!

Last edited by SSTHO; 05-24-2023 at 10:43 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by SSTHO:
3TG119 (05-25-2023), 911Jetta (05-26-2023), DD GT3 RD (05-24-2023), FLT6SPD (05-24-2023), GTTommy (05-25-2023), ljmartyre (05-25-2023), SupraSaiyan (05-25-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:02 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 200 Posts

This is awesome Stephen. Congrats on the new toy. The more GT3’s the merrier.
SSTHO (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:15 AM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I’ve been kicking this around, I think it would be sweet but I don’t see anyone paying much ‘more’ for the car after it’s done… so would be for my pleasure only? I was trying to compare spending the $25k on the full Dundon vs the $75k for the 4.1, what made you ultimately pull the trigger? Was it really the demo of the 3.9?
Has anyone done both or is the plenum not built for that displacement?
Old 05-25-2023, 01:11 PM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
Has anyone done both or is the plenum not built for that displacement?
I've thought about this exact same thing. I may have to reach out to Alex. Sure why not, add another $10k to my engine build....
SSTHO (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 04:01 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
This is awesome Stephen. Congrats on the new toy. The more GT3’s the merrier.
I have you to thank for falling in love with the meteor grey 7.2 GT3 and my ensuing friendship with ChrisF too! Love the community. Cheers!
DD GT3 RD (05-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Love my 997.2 GT3 RS, but... (SW 4.1L confirmed)