Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 RS - Aftermarket headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 05:49 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
I have the M&M Center bypass, which is a lot like the Sharkwerks Center, and Soul valved Side bypass setup. I use the Carnewal remote to keep the valves open or closed:
http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...PSE-Controller

Since you already have the Center setup, I suggest getting valved Side pipes-Cargraphic looks like a great choice, as is Soul and Fabspeed and a few others.
I still keep the garage door closed for the first few minutes of a cold start when the car is loudest until the air pump kicks on, with valves closed. It does make a difference in sound with them closed. If you. do get 200 Cel cats I bet it will get even louder-so I recommend starting the way I did and take it from there. With valves open and above 3-4K things get damn loud if you're wide open-

JB
this 100% start here.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:00 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 193 Posts

I've tried many setups and they all sound different. Videos do not capture the nuance. I'm running Dundon headers into an RSS center delete. The sound rocks, but it would prob wear on me if I was trying to daily or drive it a lot. For an occasion car, this setup is perfect. That said, once you've gone louder, it's hard to go back.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 09:10 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 650kid
Dundon fanboy here through and through. Real gains too - not just the butt dyno.
same here……the full Power Kit is pricey but performance and sound is unbelievable.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:35 PM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
…That said, once you've gone louder, it's hard to go back.
1000%. I had a Sharkwerks track exhaust and very difficult to go back once you’re used to the exciting volume. I’ll be getting the FVD headers, 200 cell and center muffler on next. Hopefully not as much drone but oh well if there is haha
Robocop305 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 10:44 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Love my FVD headers! Top quality workmanship and they keep looking great mile after mile.

The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
flat6fan18 (12-11-2023), Robocop305 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:34 AM
delta3
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

only worth getting aftermarket headers if it's longtube imo. more power, better sound. i compared dundon, supersprint and fvd. ended up with supersprint w/ 200cel cats. absolutely love it!
Old 12-18-2023, 12:10 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by delta3
only worth getting aftermarket headers if it's longtube imo. more power, better sound. i compared dundon, supersprint and fvd. ended up with supersprint w/ 200cel cats. absolutely love it!
would you say a tune is necessary when installing long tubes?
Old 12-18-2023, 01:14 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 114 Posts

Out of curiosity, what made you go Supersprint over Dundon?
Old 12-18-2023, 11:25 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
would you say a tune is necessary when installing long tubes?
I may be qualified to answer this as I ran that exact same exhaust, you see above, on my 997.1 skinny body, with no tune. Around town it would bog & stumble once in a while. I really didn't like the way it drove around town.... at all. Before the sale of the car, I removed the long tube setup and reinstalled the stock system and it ran a lot better with excellent throttle response. I then picked up a 997.1 RS with an EVOMS tune and reinstalled the long tube system on that car and holy cow, it was a beast and pulled like a fright train. Still does and I absolutely love it. That being said, if I didn't have a tune, I would prefer the stock system over the long tubes. It's just makes for a better responding engine.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:03 AM
delta3
Advanced

it seems with 200cel cats it's necessary to clear check engine light, although you might be able to do that more easily with handheld re-flash devices, that i'm not sure. but it is necessary to bring out the full power potential of such setup. i might be in a niche within a niche where i want the long tube because it's the ultimate header design but i'm not looking for big power gains because i prioritize long-term reliability so i went with a very conservative tune.

all 3 brands are great, but i chose supersprint in the end because on top of high quality and R&D (which the other 2 have as well), they pioneered (as far as i know) the long tube concept and design for mass market sports cars. they released the long tube headers for our cars back in 2007 or something and have revised it since. they have better worldwide recognition, support network and re-sale value. and they're cheaper than dundon.
Vocan (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 05:05 AM
delta3
Advanced

i think i've shared a few pics of my long tube headers in another thread but i forgot which one. someone more forum savvy might be able to pull it up lol
Old 12-19-2023, 02:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

it seems with 200cel cats it's necessary to clear check engine light, although you might be able to do that more easily with handheld re-flash devices, that i'm not sure. but it is necessary to bring out the full power potential of such setup. i might be in a niche within a niche where i want the long tube because it's the ultimate header design but i'm not looking for big power gains because i prioritize long-term reliability so i went with a very conservative tune.

all 3 brands are great, but i chose supersprint in the end because on top of high quality and R&D (which the other 2 have as well), they pioneered (as far as i know) the long tube concept and design for mass market sports cars. they released the long tube headers for our cars back in 2007 or something and have revised it since. they have better worldwide recognition, support network and re-sale value. and they're cheaper than dundon.
I've run my system with Brombacher's HKS 200 cell cats for many years and never had a check engine light and always passed smog.
Old 12-23-2023, 09:41 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 139 Posts

On my .1 RS I have the Evoms headers, cats and tune, side muffler delete, sharkwerks center. Sounds AMAZING, never a CEL, noticed a slight bump in power. Previously I was only running the sharkwerks center ...definitely like the current setup much better.

http://www.evoms.com/product_p/emgt3.htm

Last edited by Finlander; 12-23-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:53 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Look at the Rally videos I posted-the white and orange car appears to have a long tube system, could be an M&M setup.
I found the driver John Wartique on Fakebook a few years ago and asked him which exhaust was it. He said he would ask his team/tuners but never got back to me.
If any rennlisters in Europe could ask for details on any of these cars, that's where all the Rallying and hill climbs take place. 991s slowly started entering this kind of racing, but they still appear to favor Mezgers over the years, even more than 10 years since the last 997s were made. I can try another search for details since it's been a while, and I suspect teams keep their tuning kind of secretive-
Because the Rally conditions have these cars screaming up to the limiter, I think it's the best source for exhilarating sounds-

Here's the Porsche Motorsports Super Cup exhaust-what I have is close to it, with valves. Sharkwerks Track exhaust is also similar but no valves:

I'm very satisfied with my setup, aside from the sound it loses weight, heat and makes it easier to work on the engine
JB

Quick Reply: 997.2 RS - Aftermarket headers worth it?