Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 Exhaust Sound and Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 10:14 PM
G80
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 36 Posts

Starting to think about exhaust options and was looking at the side muffler deletes as a starting point

They seem to reduce a lot of weight and heat and are relatively good value compared to the headers.

I was thinking of going non-valved as and I’m not usually the type to close the values. Any other reason to go valved other than having the option to tone it down? Does it mess with the back pressure if you don’t have valves? Not noticeably I'm assuming

I was leaning toward the Soul side deletes. Anyone recommend anything else? I know Dundon seems to be the pinnacle as regards a full on headers/system etc but I’m not quite ready to drop myself right in at the deep end…maybe once I’ve heard it in person I’ll change my mind.

Any good bang for buck options to consider would be appreciated
Old 04-15-2024, 10:21 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by G80
Starting to think about exhaust options and was looking at the side muffler deletes as a starting point

They seem to reduce a lot of weight and heat and are relatively good value compared to the headers.

I was thinking of going non-valved as and I’m not usually the type to close the values. Any other reason to go valved other than having the option to tone it down? Does it mess with the back pressure if you don’t have valves? Not noticeably I'm assuming

I was leaning toward the Soul side deletes. Anyone recommend anything else? I know Dundon seems to be the pinnacle as regards a full on headers/system etc but I’m not quite ready to drop myself right in at the deep end…maybe once I’ve heard it in person I’ll change my mind.

Any good bang for buck options to consider would be appreciated
Valves do nothing for back pressure. At least nothing that you’ll notice. Purely sound.

If you’re fully stock now, suggest you start with a center bypass. Stock headers and sides give these cars that distinctive howl. If you don’t like center delete, then you can start playing with side bypass, headers, etc. Yes, the sides are heavy and hot, but unless you’re chasing 10ths of seconds on track, that’s also something you won’t notice.
The following users liked this post:
G80 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 10:25 PM
G80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jreifler
Valves do nothing for back pressure. At least nothing that you’ll notice. Purely sound.

If you’re fully stock now, suggest you start with a center bypass. Stock headers and sides give these cars that distinctive howl. If you don’t like center delete, then you can start playing with side bypass, headers, etc. Yes, the sides are heavy and hot, but unless you’re chasing 10ths of seconds on track, that’s also something you won’t notice.
Fair point, not chasing tenths or even seconds lol! but just from my cursory research, the side mufflers seems to be a more impactful mod at a similar price point.

Center delete would be an easier place to start, not having to remove the damn centerlocks would be a bonus also.

Maybe do the Center delete, plus side delete ‘while I’m in there’?? It’s a slippery slope!
Old 04-15-2024, 10:33 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by G80
Fair point, not chasing tenths or even seconds lol! but just from my cursory research, the side mufflers seems to be a more impactful mod at a similar price point.

Center delete would be an easier place to start, not having to remove the damn centerlocks would be a bonus also.

Maybe do the Center delete, plus side delete ‘while I’m in there’?? It’s a slippery slope!
You shouldn't need to remove the wheels either way. You can pull off the bumpers, center muffler and side mufflers all with the wheels on. There is a bolt right where the rear bumper hits the wheelwell that's kind of a pain but simply jacking up the rear makes it easier, and even that isn't necessary.

I'd also suggest starting with a center delete. Pick up a nice preowned RSS or Sharkwerks on Rennlist, use it for a bit and if you want more you can basically sell it for what you paid for it down the road.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:40 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by G80

Center delete sounds better than side delete only. Center delete and side delete sounds great. Headers and no mufflers sounds best. At least that's what I'm telling myself while my wife's face appears like she'll yelling at me, but I can't hear her for the glorious engine sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by ranger22:
jreifler (04-15-2024), Robocop305 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:10 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

hahaha, thats awesome Ranger ... my wife loves the sound, so the only faces I get are smiles....

.... but seriously G80, I was in a similar choice situation (6 yrs ago) when I first bought & wanted to do exhaust for more sound. I took the advice from our RL guys here and started with a center bypass (I bought SW),.. & its true, the pure tone wail is very intoxicating (I was also a musician in my youth too, so tonal quality is important to me). In the very beginning, I had always planned to do (after center bypass) the next step of eliminating the side mufflers for the same reasons you are considering,... but after hearing just the center bypass, the sound is just magnificently pure,.. and with me driving primarily back twisty roads, I haven't noticed the {stock amount of} heat back there (other than the fans running off/on for a while after I shut it down). Sure I might have noticed the reduction in weight back there,... but since I never did it, I don't really know what I'm missing (lower weight).

Your call how far you want to do with your first step mod. But the center is the quickest & easiest. try that for a while and then see where you are afterwards.

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-15-2024 at 11:11 PM.
G80 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:12 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,652 Posts

RSS center delete and you'll never need to change the sound. It's the best sounding of the bunch. If you want power then headers down the line. For the short term the RSS is going to be hard to beat.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
G80 (04-17-2024), jreifler (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:12 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G80

Wheels off def makes it easier, but not necessary as @Vocan suggests. Rear bumper off is key, and it’s dead simple, despite seeming complex.

I’ve pretty much done every iteration on .2 and .1 now, and my best advice is to try incrementally. Don’t change more than one element at a time. Center delete, then if you want more, go side delete. Then if you want even more Cup car insanity, go headers / high flow cats. If you want to go deaf, just straight pipe with long tube headers. Glorious. Painful.

Also know that any exhaust combo is basically for sound. Power / TQ gains negligible. And to the extent achieved, you won’t really feel it beyond a psychosomatic aspect. And I’ll probably take sh*t for this, but that’s the reason why spending 12-20k for exhaust from certain companies is just nonsense. As gorgeous and well engineered as it may be, it’s still just metal tubing. And I’m speaking as someone with a full titanium Akra kit on his RS.

The following 2 users liked this post by jreifler:
G80 (04-17-2024), Robocop305 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:14 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
RSS center delete and you'll never need to change the sound. It's the best sounding of the bunch. If you want power then headers down the line. For the short term the RSS is going to be hard to beat.
+1, I'm really glad you talked me into going RSS. Absolutely love mine--no drone with great tone and just the right amount of loud for me.
G80 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:30 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I've been in an GMG equipped, Sharkwerks equipped and an RSS equipped. I thought the RSS is the best of the bunch.
G80 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 12:46 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

I have the valved Soul side bypass and M&M Center delete, with Carnewal remote setup. The closed valves do make a difference, especially on cold starts. The remote allows you to close them at will, instead of opening and closing when it wants to. It's also great when you answer the phone.
Make sure you pick a center bypass which uses the straps/clamps to hold it in place, many don't. My M&M center is similar to the Sharkwerks center bypass. Also, I had at first bought the TPC valved side deletes, but it would not mate to my center. It would work fine on the OEM center, but 1mm difference and it would not match the center. They may have rectified this, I don't know, but mine were used and the seller took them back.

Weight and heat reduction is no doubt a bonus, and for me, the sound is perfect. I have two motorcycles with straight pipes, a Z1900 four and my H2 triple two stroke 750 with stingers 👹. Neighbors are used to it and have no choice 😂
None have complained, I drive away in a civilized manner.
Look through the market place for used ones-the Soul has lifetime warranty, there's also Fabspeed, the German made Cargraphic and a few others
Here's the center one I have:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1333073

JB
Robocop305 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 04:38 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

My fabspeed valved side deletes are for sale.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1407933

car was too loud for future wifey.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:19 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 94 Posts

Recently acquired my 2007 GT3 RS and it was equipped with the Sharkwerks track exhaust - which is straight piped from the factory headers back, no mufflers. Lightweight, simple and way way too loud for me to enjoy street driving. I've removed it, sold it, and reinstalled the stock side mufflers + new Sharkwerks center bypass. Much less 'race car', much more 'sports car' and I am happy with the change but could use just a 'little bit more' but not willing to remove the side mufflers again.

On my Cayman R, I upgraded the stock headers to 200 cell high flow cats while retaining the factory PSE system and the upgrade in volume was perfect. I don't see any 997 GT3's with 200 cell cats, stock side mufflers and a center muffler delete like SW, RSS, etc... I am not concerned with heat soak or weight of the side mufflers, I am willing to trade those for the drone reduction they offer as it's not a track car. Looking for feedback if anyone has done just 200 cell headers + center bypass.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:46 AM
G80
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice guys,

I found an RSS fairly local to me so hoping to grab that this weekend, cant wait!
The following 3 users liked this post by G80:
jreifler (04-17-2024), Robocop305 (04-17-2024), rrichmondd (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 11:01 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstyles
Recently acquired my 2007 GT3 RS and it was equipped with the Sharkwerks track exhaust - which is straight piped from the factory headers back, no mufflers. Lightweight, simple and way way too loud for me to enjoy street driving. I've removed it, sold it, and reinstalled the stock side mufflers + new Sharkwerks center bypass. Much less 'race car', much more 'sports car' and I am happy with the change but could use just a 'little bit more' but not willing to remove the side mufflers again.

On my Cayman R, I upgraded the stock headers to 200 cell high flow cats while retaining the factory PSE system and the upgrade in volume was perfect. I don't see any 997 GT3's with 200 cell cats, stock side mufflers and a center muffler delete like SW, RSS, etc... I am not concerned with heat soak or weight of the side mufflers, I am willing to trade those for the drone reduction they offer as it's not a track car. Looking for feedback if anyone has done just 200 cell headers + center bypass.
I did just Cargraphic headers and stock sides with SW center delete when I first had my .2. That was pretty damn good.
cstyles (04-17-2024)

Quick Reply: 997 Exhaust Sound and Setup