Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

'07 GT3 refuses to open hood; dead battery.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 06:35 PM
ZMC-ZH
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
what brand Lithium battery did you install ?
I am in Europe so lots of options discussed here aren’t really an option for me.
I went with liteblox, it seens the price have gone significantly up since though.
https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox...nd-motorsport/
I like the anti-theft feature when going on road trip. The battery allow enough juice to power the alarm and auxiliary but will shut down if you try to start the car.
The following users liked this post:
C4S993 (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 01:19 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fascinating technology ! Smart lithium BMS

Originally Posted by ZMC-ZH
I am in Europe so lots of options discussed here aren’t really an option for me.
I went with liteblox, it seens the price have gone significantly up since though.
https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox...nd-motorsport/
I like the anti-theft feature when going on road trip. The battery allow enough juice to power the alarm and auxiliary but will shut down if you try to start the car.
Their website very informative. I tried to enter 997 GT3 but too much German text for me to decipher.

But i do like the cell ph app for setting the desired shut off voltage and the auto engine start defeat if unauthorized entry. Don't think it's sold over here but I'll look for a usa model that uses that cell phone app for setting desired voltage shutdowns. I never arm my alarm car; afraid car will lock me out. I don't trust the GT3 alarm system.

Patrick

Last edited by C4S993; 12-25-2023 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-25-2023, 03:14 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 309 Posts

I recommend Antigravity smart Li-Ion battery with CTEK lithium tender and/or the AG Battery Checker which allows you to see metrics to your phone through their app.
C4S993 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 04:48 AM
C4S993
Pro

Default I

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I recommend Antigravity smart Li-Ion battery with CTEK lithium tender and/or the AG Battery Checker which allows you to see metrics to your phone through their app.
Is the Antigravity Lighium battery a smart battery that bluetooths to Andriod app ? I don’t think it is smart. The battery maintainer may be smart but I want a Lith that's smart; that's where new age battery technology is headed with evermore 'things' smart and all connected via bluetooth/WiFi for user interface purposes.its being accomplished in Europe right now.
Patrick
Old 12-26-2023, 05:14 AM
C4S993
Pro

Default What smart Li battery do you use?

what model/year P-car ?
patrick
Patrick
Old 12-26-2023, 05:31 AM
C4S993
Pro

Default Amazon doesn't show it with cigar cable ?

[QUOTE=chiffonade;19182818]the fusebox 12v supply post is finnicky.
i leave the genius plugged into the cig lighter now through a cracked window. the booster is awesome on manual hood release cars. literally just takes 10 seconds/QUOTE]
Amazon doesn't show your battery maintainer with cigar cable ?
Patrick
Old 12-26-2023, 01:40 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

I had a "Genius" maintainer and after a few years it cooked itself. Glad it didn't start a fire in my garage. I replaced it with the Ctek 7202, and I've always used the Cigarette connector with blinking lights.
I'm not a fan of Lithium batts and have opted for the larger AGM for quite some time. It required welding a nut on the bottom of the tray so the locking brace could be used. The AGM is from Advance, who acquired the "Die Hard" brand. Made in Germany, and their replacement warranty is excellent.

I also went through a nightmare with the stuck key in ignition switch, and had to replace it myself. I also had a starter solenoid issue over the years, replaced the starter myself too. The positive cable quick release post should be cleaned, and some people replace the post with a threaded one-
So if attempting to open the hood doesn't work, it could be the quick release positive post has corrosion, and even if you get the new battery of your choice you could still have problems.
Here's the thread on the ignition switch nightmare, with all sorts of detailed pictures:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...uck-key-3.html

Other electrical issue I had was the change-over valve which controls the disc valve on the transmission cooling system. Cheap to fix but it was a nightmare to diagnose.

Not a daily driver, and I do drive the car at least once a week despite keeping the Ctek connected-

JB
The following 2 users liked this post by JB911:
C4S993 (12-27-2023), pcar1 (12-27-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 06:47 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 336 Posts

in a truly bad battery scenario, can jack up the car and hook up to the starter connection
Old 12-26-2023, 06:57 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Is the Antigravity Lighium battery a smart battery that bluetooths to Andriod app ? I don’t think it is smart. The battery maintainer may be smart but I want a Lith that's smart; that's where new age battery technology is headed with evermore 'things' smart and all connected via bluetooth/WiFi for user interface purposes.its being accomplished in Europe right now.
Patrick
The battery itself does not have the Bluetooth built in with current models but what Steve mentioned to utilize with our battery was a battery checker....which is our separate Battery Tracker module. This allows you to monitor and track voltage via Bluetooth anytime within 30 feet of the vehicle. Also provides a charging test as well as cranking test feature and retains voltage data on a 30 day rolling basis. Options for lithium as well as lead acid batteries are available.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/

Best regards,

Steve Theodore (03-03-2024)
Old 12-27-2023, 01:28 AM
C4S993
Pro

Default AGM charging mode....

Originally Posted by JB911
I had a "Genius" maintainer and after a few years it cooked itself. Glad it didn't start a fire in my garage. I replaced it with the Ctek 7202, and I've always used the Cigarette connector with blinking lights.
I'm not a fan of Lithium batts and have opted for the larger AGM for quite some time. It required welding a nut on the bottom of the tray so the locking brace could be used. The AGM is from Advance, who acquired the "Die Hard" brand. Made in Germany, and their replacement warranty is excellent.

I also went through a nightmare with the stuck key in ignition switch, and had to replace it myself. I also had a starter solenoid issue over the years, replaced the starter myself too. The positive cable quick release post should be cleaned, and some people replace the post with a threaded one-
So if attempting to open the hood doesn't work, it could be the quick release positive post has corrosion, and even if you get the new battery of your choice you could still have problems.
Here's the thread on the ignition switch nightmare, with all sorts of detailed pictures:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...uck-key-3.html

Other electrical issue I had was the change-over valve which controls the disc valve on the transmission cooling system. Cheap to fix but it was a nightmare to diagnose.

Not a daily driver, and I do drive the car at least once a week despite keeping the Ctek connected-

JB
AGM Mode of the Ctek 7202; that's perfect. My battery maintainer lacks a specific AGM mode. I dislike the cigar port charging method and instead maintainer wired direct to battery at wiper access. I just installed a replacement AGM DieHard from Advanced. Is this the same DieHard made in Germany you bought ? Retail value about $300. Thanks, Patrick

Last edited by C4S993; 12-27-2023 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 03:16 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

That should drop right in, I got the longer H8 and as mentioned needed to weld a nut under the tray-
Pull the positive quick connect out, take some fine sand paper or steel wool, clean it and spray anti-corrosion to keep a good connection

John
C4S993 (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 07:08 AM
C4S993
Pro

Default The longer H8 battery....

That should drop right in, I got the longer H8 and as mentioned needed to weld a nut under the tray-
Pull the positive quick connect out, take some fine sand paper or steel wool, clean it and spray anti-corrosion to keep a good connection

John
John, what vehicle is the longer H8 battery for, is that a truck battery ? Advanced tech told me DieHard AGM battery is made in China and has a 1 in 100 failure history.
Patrick
Old 12-28-2023, 11:49 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Mine had a sticker saying "Made In Germany". I use the smaller version on my Audi S3
I started using the H8 sized one years ago when I could buy a Bosch AGM, can't find them now.
Come to think of it, one could slip a bolt under the tray and use a nut at the top for the bracket. I had a friend weld a nut in the hole for mine, you can't have the batt there without fastening it. Perhaps the regular sized batt is just fine, I wanted the extra amps.
The good thing about the Advance deal is there are stores everywhere and it's an instant swap with the warranty.

I had one exchanged when my ignition switch malfunctioned-the hand held tester at the store told them to replace it, maybe a cell was weak even though the battery wasn't really more than a year old. So it could have been manufacturing problem, who knows.
Some places have you leave it there for them to attempt charging for a few hours, etc, but it was instantly replaced for whatever reason.
They also give you an option to extend the warranty for $38-

JB
Old 12-28-2023, 11:53 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Old 12-28-2023, 05:03 PM
C4S993
Pro

Default Interesting, H8 made in Germany....

Mine had a sticker saying "Made In Germany". I use the smaller version on my Audi S3
I started using the H8 sized one years ago when I could buy a Bosch AGM, can't find them now.
Come to think of it, one could slip a bolt under the tray and use a nut at the top for the bracket. I had a friend weld a nut in the hole for mine, you can't have the batt there without fastening it. Perhaps the regular sized batt is just fine, I wanted the extra amps.
The good thing about the Advance deal is there are stores everywhere and it's an instant swap with the warranty.

I had one exchanged when my ignition switch malfunctioned-the hand held tester at the store told them to replace it, maybe a cell was weak even though the battery wasn't really more than a year old. So it could have been manufacturing problem, who knows.
Some places have you leave it there for them to attempt charging for a few hours, etc, but it was instantly replaced for whatever reason.
They also give you an option to extend the warranty for $38-

JB
Good to know that H8 version DieHard made in Germany, was H8 battery retailed near $300 ? I looked at my three year Advanced DieHard warrenty, free replacement is within 20 months, after 20 months replacement is "prorated".

Patrick

Quick Reply: '07 GT3 refuses to open hood; dead battery.