Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

'07 GT3 refuses to open hood; dead battery.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 09:00 AM
pcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 17 Posts

Although I never had a dead battery with the 996 (lead acid; always kept it on a battery tender), this thread now has me paranoid since the way the car is parked, really is not conducive to jacking up the front end if I needed to remove the wheel liner. Just took delivery of a Noco gb50 booster, which along with a pair of jumper cables, I'll keep in the passenger area from now on. And if the packaging is any indicator of product quality, the Noco unboxes and presents like a new iPhone -- impressed.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:00 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your a Noco gb50 booster put out 12v ?

Originally Posted by pcar1
Although I never had a dead battery with the 996 (lead acid; always kept it on a battery tender), this thread now has me paranoid since the way the car is parked, really is not conducive to jacking up the front end if I needed to remove the wheel liner. Just took delivery of a Noco gb50 booster, which along with a pair of jumper cables, I'll keep in the passenger area from now on. And if the packaging is any indicator of product quality, the Noco unboxes and presents like a new iPhone -- impressed.
Does your a Noco gb50 booster booster put out 12v in case you need to energize the hood fuse ?
I ask as my booster failed to output 12v as it needs to connect to a battery to feed 12v.
Patrick

Old 12-29-2023, 09:26 PM
pcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, considering that was one point from earlier in this string, I'm hopeful that it will. Noco seems to be one of the best on the market right now, and I got the gb50 (1.5k amp peak current) vs. gb40 (1k amp peak current). Both units have a manual safety override if dead battery voltage has dropped below 2 volts, which may allow the booster to transmit more power to the dead battery. If all else fails and I don't want to remove the wheel and liner to get to the emergency cable, that'd be why I'm also now carrying jumper cables in the cabin. Might be overthinking this, but like someone earlier said, I *really* don't like the prospect of having to leave this car anywhere unintended.

Last edited by pcar1; 12-29-2023 at 10:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C4S993 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:19 AM
C4S993
Pro

Default Leaving Porsche unattended...

Originally Posted by pcar1
Well, considering that was one point from earlier in this string, I'm hopeful that it will. Noco seems to be one of the best on the market right now, and I got the gb50 (1.5k amp peak current) vs. gb40 (1k amp peak current). Both units have a manual safety override if dead battery voltage has dropped below 2 volts, which may allow the booster to transmit more power to the dead battery. If all else fails and I don't want to remove the wheel and liner to get to the emergency cable, that'd be why I'm also now carrying jumper cables in the cabin. Might be overthinking this, but like someone earlier said, I *really* don't like the prospect of having to leave this car anywhere unintended.
I agree, days of leaving a Porsche unattended in public garage are over as modern Porsche cars can't shake their battery drain. I don't ever arm car's alarm system as afraid it will lock me out. Around here, Ocala Fl, many daily accidents. So my GT3 is rarely chanced, it's too variable to expose to damage. As a test, put voltmeter across booster leads to see if you get 12v.
Patrick' 07 GT3

Last edited by C4S993; 12-30-2023 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:33 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Here are pics from my ignition key stuck thread-if your quick release positive post hasn't been cleaned, I suggest doing it as soon as possible. Come to think of it, a deep small socket with steel wool on a drill would be a good way to clean the post, then spray anti corrosion/protectant. For the female side which was green with corrosion I rolled up fine sand paper like a cigarette and spun it in there to clean. Cleaning the positive post and connector can be done even if the batt is installed. Reach the red tab and push it outward with your fingernail to release.
I'd also clean negative post next to the battery, and the one behind the right rear wheel. New battery, tender will be useless if these contacts aren't good and your tender goes through the cigarette lighter. Those with tender connecting to battery get it charged directly, so one less variable to deal with.
As I recall, turning the alarm on reduces battery drain possibility as the car falls asleep after 7 days or so, and you need to do the key on the door procedure to wake it up.

Last edited by JB911; 12-30-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:48 PM
Dhdjb
Banned

Originally Posted by flat6fan18
https://youtu.be/zqYfayMGyz4?si=jBPUYBqosEu1XkGo

So you tried this and it didn’t work?
wow this video is helpful
Old 03-03-2024, 09:05 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 269 Posts

dead. ugh. no drive for two months. had to push out of garage. then 20 minutes to jump/pop hood. fob not swtich. battery still not enough juice to startup
Old 03-03-2024, 12:13 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
dead. ugh. no drive for two months. had to push out of garage. then 20 minutes to jump/pop hood. fob not swtich. battery still not enough juice to startup
I'm so over this stuff. Last dead battery for me was a tire removal as I couldn't get the fuse jump to work. The hood was open, I walked by pressed it shut then jumped in the car to go for a drive. Note to self, start car before you shut the hood. Also plug in when you get back home. Got lazy on the last one and said, I'll do it later.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:50 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

This is a complete hassle, and I still don't understand why Porsche doesn't come up with a simpler solution than being completely locked out of your vehicle without going through this hassle. Anitgravity Batteries offers two solutions for you guys with that don't want to deal with this problem again or in the future.

1st solution is, we offer a wire harness that attaches directly to the battery cable clamps and takes about 2 minutes to install. It allows you to connect our MICRO-START mini jump Starter, and some other brands, direrctly to harness that your route from the frunk to the windsheild area, and then you can plug this harness into your mini jump starter and either open the frunk or jump start the car in seconds. It works much better than trying to power the red buss in the fuse box because it powers the entire car directly as a battery would. We have a video on the website at this link.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/

2nd solution is, we offer a Lithium Battery replacement for your Lead/Acid battery, but our Lithium battery has BUILT-IN WIRELESS Jump Starting so you will never be stranded by a dead battery again, or unable to open your frunk. There are other benefits such as the battery weighing 35 lbs less than the lead/acid battery and having a 2x to 3x longer lifespan. But it has the built-in protections to prevent it from getting damaged or having failures that lead to a non-start situation. Yes, it more expensive than a lead acid battery but it just the cost of the materials. But if these benefits suit you then its well worth it. Also have a video on the webpage.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/

Last edited by Antigravity; 03-04-2024 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 02:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

The swing and the pitch. That antigravity battery is cost prohibitive. I'll just be more vigilant in keeping the trickle charger on my $169 Interstate AGM battery from Costco.

The AGM in my Audi RS4 is the original battery from 2008 and it still works like a charm.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:34 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Well, drove it 45 minutes, stopped for a pastry. Dead again - thankfully I popped lid before I turned it off. And was in front of specialty car dealer who happened along at that time.

jumped . DOA at home.

so, in the market- AG or interstate? Definitely big cost difference
Old 03-03-2024, 04:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Interstate from Costco is an AMG battery made in Germany. Can't go wrong for the price of $169.99.

Interstate AGM

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 03-03-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:21 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,065 Likes on 582 Posts

Well, drove it 45 minutes, stopped for a pastry. Dead again - thankfully I popped lid before I turned it off. And was in front of specialty car dealer who happened along at that time.

jumped . DOA at home.

so, in the market- AG or interstate? Definitely big cost difference
what’s wrong with Braille, I’ve had mine with zero issues for years, maybe folks don’t like the bracket?
Old 03-03-2024, 05:26 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
what’s wrong with Braille, I’ve had mine with zero issues for years, maybe folks don’t like the bracket?
would consider. have the battery on ctek … starting now w/o jumper. maybe reviving battery. 🔋
Old 03-03-2024, 06:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

What kind of battery in currently in the car.

Quick Reply: '07 GT3 refuses to open hood; dead battery.