Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Silver or Black Wheels - Help my indecisiveness

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 01:48 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,054 Posts
Default Silver or Black Wheels - Help my indecisiveness

Since I can’t decide and I like both equally, I’m putting a poll up and hoping I get a strong vote one way or the other.
  • Wheels are currently satin black, done by a previous owner. I think they look amazing and it adds an aggressiveness to the car.
  • However, my car came with silver wheels and I think it does show off the design better and looks classier.
  • In certain lights, the black looks dirty, but in other lights it looks insanely good and better than silver.
  • Silver is probably the safer choice and looks better in more cases.
  • As time goes on, I tend to believe cars look better stock, or go to an aftermarket wheel. For instance, BBS E88 on a 964/993 looks great. But I definitely prefer silver over black wheels on a 964/993.
  • If this was an RS that came with black wheels from factory, or if my car came with the black wheel option (silver lip) I don't know if I'd be having this conversation, since it was how the car was supposed to be from factory.
    • When you know how a car came off the assembly line, whether good or bad design/option/feature, there's less controversy. But when something is changed, it does add a talking point, either good or bad.
  • Other option is to wait a few years and see what I think, but I’ve been contemplating this for years and have yet to make up my mind due to both being great options.
  • Both pics are actually my car.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:57 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Since I can’t decide and I like both equally, I’m putting a poll up and hoping I get a strong vote one way or the other.
  • Wheels are currently satin black, done by a previous owner. I think they look amazing and it adds an aggressiveness to the car.
  • However, my car came with silver wheels and I think it does show off the design better and looks classier.
  • In certain lights, the black looks dirty, but in other lights it looks insanely good and better than silver.
  • Silver is probably the safer choice and looks better in more cases.
  • As time goes on, I tend to believe cars look better stock, or go to an aftermarket wheel. For instance, BBS E88 on a 964/993 looks great. But I definitely prefer silver over black wheels on a 964/993.
  • If this was an RS that came with black wheels from factory, or if my car came with the black wheel option (silver lip) I don't know if I'd be having this conversation, since it was how the car was supposed to be from factory.
    • When you know how a car came off the assembly line, whether good or bad design/option/feature, there's less controversy. But when something is changed, it does add a talking point, either good or bad.
  • Other option is to wait a few years and see what I think, but I’ve been contemplating this for years and have yet to make up my mind due to both being great options.
  • Both pics are actually my car.

My vote is aftermarket silver if that’s in the cards. You can drop a ton of unsprung weight from the fairly heavy stock wheels with a nice forged setup and lose the stock rear spacers to boot. You can usually also go up to 9” front wheels and get a bit more tire for more bite.

If staying with the stock wheels I’d still err silver but not by much. I’m not normally big on black wheels but I think they work fairly well here.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:01 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 98 Posts

You and I are in the same boat. Our cars are twins. My car came with silver wheels from the factory but a previous owner painted them black. I'm staying with black for now as well but have been tempted to go back to stock.

I agree with your assesment of silver looking classier but black looks more agressive. If my car had the black with silver lip from the factory that would be the first thing to go. Not sure what it is but I really don't like that look.

I vote stay with black wheels.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:06 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

SILVER / ARGENT whatever is called, looks so much better than black IMO
The following users liked this post:
Finlander (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 02:06 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I think the black do look more aggressive. Another thing to consider is the silver will show a lot more brake dust. My dream wheel is the gold E88 which I think look amazing on white cars.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:13 PM
Hamhands
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 77 Posts

Black is so overplayed, unless its a track car black wheels look silly IMO.
Finlander (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 03:26 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

In the case of staying with the stock wheels, I'd vote silver.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:55 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

"subscribed"
Old 01-09-2024, 04:02 PM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 122 Posts

Can't go wrong with black wheels on white.
Hella-Buggin' (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 04:05 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Black
Old 01-09-2024, 04:05 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I would choose silver over black on a white car as you lose so many of the details of the wheel with black. Another route you may want to look into is that gray. I don't know if it was ever a stock color but an entire wheel being gray might work for something right in the middle of the two choices you're giving to us members. Nice contrast and wheel details to boot.

Old 01-09-2024, 04:36 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,265 Posts

I prefer the silver wheels. When they are black it’s harder to make out the details of the wheel design and it just blends into the tires. They almost become invisible. GT3 wheels have a beautiful spoke design and I wanna be able to see them better.
Finlander (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 05:05 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

Silver does look classier, but to me that classiness is for non GT cars. I prefer darker rims but do not care for black EXCEPT on a white car.

sooooo,... my vote is to paint your stock rims a dark metallic gray (like the .2 Titanium color) & put a all-season tire on them. THEN only put them on during Jan & Feb, which, during that time, will remind you of how much you're looking forward to putting your summer set on,... which will be ANOTHER brand new set (that'll you'll buy now) that are LIGHT Aftermarket rims,... of course in Bright Silver. (then of course you'll have to find some other ways to bring in some silver to the car, Lol,... which will be NEXT winters Poll)

How did I do? .... hahaha,... laughing because there is no right or wrong answer here,... your tastes are what matter most JBxster,.. and of course you already know that,... and so you are doing this Poll because its winter now,... and you KNOW we need a good conversation piece..... Well Done Mate.
Old 01-09-2024, 05:23 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

Maybe give it a bit of a modern refresh? How about doing the OEM finish of Satin platinum? I loved that finish on my previous 991.2 GT3

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1346097
Old 01-09-2024, 06:08 PM
nle
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 121 Posts

Silver wheel on a white car, especially without decals or accents.

Quick Reply: Silver or Black Wheels - Help my indecisiveness