Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Suggestions for best places to buy rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 08:37 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Suggestions for best places to buy rotors

I had the PPI (post purchase inspection, lol) done on my 7.1.

They said the brakes are fine, but the rotors I believe are worn enough to necessitate replacement.

The fronts are ok, slotted aftermarket, back are wavy, worn, and the holes have teeny tiny fissures (from heat I believe) but are stock drilled type.

I'd like em to match, slotted or drilled I really dont mind. But I am going to do a rotor/pad swap on all four

Any suggestions, what to get and where to buy?

Car will see maybe one/two track days per year, and maybe three / four autocross's.....Mainly street
Old 01-17-2024, 08:51 PM
00 Scrub
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want OE style replacements I would get them from FCP Euro, Pelican Parts, or RockAuto (if they have good brands). If you want floating aftermarket rotors I would get a set of PFC discs and hats. Not sure who the distributors are for PFC stuff is these days though.
The following users liked this post:
mikes70 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:17 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Yea, both Pelican and FCP will replace them for free forever or until they start losing too much money. If you want better than OEM, then PFC or Giro would be my choice. Keep in mind that the rotor and pad setup that I've been getting from FCP for the last 8 years have been getting worse and worse every year. I don't know if it's the rotors or pads but, for instance, it's been less than a year and my rotors are already severely grooved and squeaky. The latest rotors were SHW's and the ones prior were Sebro. Zimmerman and the original ones I purchased from FCP, which were Genuine Porsche were not available. Those seemed to have better metallurgy. These are on my 958 Cayenne Turbo.

Both companies now run a credit policy where you get credit so to get it started, you'll have to buy brakes twice and will always have a credit balance with the company.
mikes70 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:51 AM
Belinko
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts

OEM are fine, will crack over time, as long as cracks are not connecting hole to hole you're OK, there is spec on crack length. I'd likely get them from an OEM parts supplier (suncoast/dealer).
GiroDiscs - slotted are best bang for the buck two piece rotors
Brembo type III rotors - slotted
PFC rotors - slotted
AP rotors - J hook
Price ranges are similar for Brembo/PFC/AP two piece rotors. Availability it depends, I find it easy to get brembo stuff.
https://www.sharkwerks.com/c_brakes-f_gt3-rs-r_g_997
mikes70 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:30 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Are the two piece less reciprocating mass? hence the more track use etc? plus Im thinking easier maintenance when/for heavy track use you just need to change the disc....

the car wont see "enough" track use (I think) to necessitate the need for upgraded rotors, unless the upgraded rotors are way better than stock.

I've got stock rears, the'y'll need to be turned, and the fissures are definitely minute, and the fronts are what appear to be Giro, slotted but not cross slotted.

It'll be easiest for me to just swap out the front and rear, and I'd like them to match.....

thanx for the links and info....Mike
Old 01-18-2024, 02:40 PM
LITEW8GT3
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There are several reasons that a two-piece floating disc assembly is of benefit. First, by using an aluminum bell for the hub section of the disc saves a great deal of weight. Since this is both rotating and unsprung, it benefits the acceleration, braking, and handling of the vehicle. Secondly, it is better able to handle the large temperature changes that a brake disc experiences. In a two-piece floating disc assembly, the iron disc heats up uniformly, and the controlled float which is present allows for the differential expansion of the very hot brake disc, and the relatively cool aluminum bell.

Originally Posted by mikes70
Are the two piece less reciprocating mass? hence the more track use etc? plus Im thinking easier maintenance when/for heavy track use you just need to change the disc....

the car wont see "enough" track use (I think) to necessitate the need for upgraded rotors, unless the upgraded rotors are way better than stock.

I've got stock rears, the'y'll need to be turned, and the fissures are definitely minute, and the fronts are what appear to be Giro, slotted but not cross slotted.

It'll be easiest for me to just swap out the front and rear, and I'd like them to match.....

Old 01-18-2024, 03:13 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikes70

Porsche rotors are always replaced and never turned.
mikes70 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 04:16 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

If you're interested in 2 piece rotors give us a call at 919-420-0021. We will talk your face blue about brakes.

--Aaron

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
mikes70 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:22 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 606 Likes on 343 Posts

We offer AP Racing by Essex J Hook 2-piece Discs, which are a great option when mated to Ferodo pads. Here are our 997.1 GT3 options:

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...RS/Iron%20disc

Lots of satisfied Porsche owner reviews on our blog: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
changster123 (01-19-2024), mikes70 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 06:25 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LITEW8GT3
There are several reasons that a two-piece floating disc assembly is of benefit. First, by using an aluminum bell for the hub section of the disc saves a great deal of weight. Since this is both rotating and unsprung, it benefits the acceleration, braking, and handling of the vehicle. Secondly, it is better able to handle the large temperature changes that a brake disc experiences. In a two-piece floating disc assembly, the iron disc heats up uniformly, and the controlled float which is present allows for the differential expansion of the very hot brake disc, and the relatively cool aluminum bell.

Yep, forgot a bout the non-monolithic and different materials aspect. I'm a licensed glazing contractor and work with many different materials and their respective compatibility

thanx
Old 01-18-2024, 07:20 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

I track a 2013 Boxster S with Sebro slotted and Pagid RSL 29s from FCPEuro. On my fifth set of front rotors and second rear. If bedded the RSL29s seldom squeak for me, but may not be suitable for a lot of street miles. I leave them in year round, but only a few weekend street miles. You need to install brake caliper and brake line studs. It is too easy to damage the aluminum threads with the steel caliper bolts and small brake line brake bolts.

As stated others are offering the LifeTime warranty. FCP now requires the VIN as part of their return process and now gives a credit vice a refund. Costs $55 to ship the rotors back. One thread indicated if you pay with PayPal you can get free return shipping.
mikes70 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:11 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Call Bob @NaroEscape . He will hook you up. https://naroescapemotorsports.com/

All of the aftermarket suggestions above will work.
mikes70 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 08:28 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
I track a 2013 Boxster S with Sebro slotted and Pagid RSL 29s from FCPEuro. On my fifth set of front rotors and second rear. If bedded the RSL29s seldom squeak for me, but may not be suitable for a lot of street miles. I leave them in year round, but only a few weekend street miles. You need to install brake caliper and brake line studs. It is too easy to damage the aluminum threads with the steel caliper bolts and small brake line brake bolts.

As stated others are offering the LifeTime warranty. FCP now requires the VIN as part of their return process and now gives a credit vice a refund. Costs $55 to ship the rotors back. One thread indicated if you pay with PayPal you can get free return shipping.
I always pay FCP with Paypal and have yet to find where I can return ship for free. Wonder where it's hidden?
Old 01-20-2024, 04:18 AM
Broncozx
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my experience, the oem ( drilled ) discs dont last long on trackdays.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:24 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 543 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Call Bob @NaroEscape . He will hook you up. https://naroescapemotorsports.com/

All of the aftermarket suggestions above will work.
Thanks Rob, but at this point I would also recommend either KNS or Essex.
we currently run DBA rotors on our SPC that I got from Aaron and KNS.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: Suggestions for best places to buy rotors