Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Radiator Grill Intake DIY/Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:22 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Radiator Grill Intake DIY/Bumper Removal

Well after my radiators getting pounded at the track I decided to install some grills. After reading a few post on the issue I decided to fabricate them myself out of wire mesh. I found removing the grill pretty straight forward, but making the grills took longer than I thought.

Here are the steps. (If anyone has an easier way, please let me know)

- Open boot and remove front plastic piece. It is only held on by velcro, so just pull it up. It is joined on each end to the side pieces, so make sure to unclip them (Pic 1).
- Remove three Torx T-30 screws (Pic 1)
- Remove T-30 screw under car in center of bumper inside plug ...Thanks DarrellC for helping me find this one (Pic 2)

For each side do:

- Remove clip which snugs bumper to fenders (Pic 3). To pull them out I just made a hook from a coat hanger(Pic 4) to grab the clip and slide it out.
- Remove both side markers by prying the front of it backwards and lifting it (I used a credit card)
- Remove T-30 screw behind side marker (Pic 5)
- Remove 2 T-30 screws under car towards center of bumper. (Pic 6)
- Remove 2 T-30 screws under car by fender well (2 left screws in Pic 7)

Now there is only one screw left on each side holding the bumper on. I found I had to remove the wheel and the inner fender liner to get to it.

- Remove Wheel
- Remove T-30 screw which holds front lip to bumper on each side (bottom left of Pic 7)
- Remove 3 T-30 Screws under car (Right 3 screws in Pic 7)
- Remove Small rubber strip which these screws where holding
- Remove 6 T-25 screws which hold inner lining (see Pic 8)
- Remove 1 T-25 screw under car which holds inner lining also (No Pic)
- Peel back inner fender to get to last screw. The screw is behind the inner fender by the side marker
- Remove T-30 screw (Pic 9)
- Slide bumper off (Pic 10)
- Vacuum out all the rocks, leaves, and rubber

I then formed some grills out of wire mesh and painted them black. These are solely for function and not "bling". The paint will probably start to chip away from all the track debris ... but better them than my radiators. I screwed them in with some black metals screws. Probably have to replace them each year. In retrospect I think I should have used a heavier gauge mesh, but these will work for now.
Attached Images              
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Ryan,
Thats is a great review of the install. I am certainly much less mechanically inclined than you are. I received my cargraphic grills last week, but will leave it to the dealer for the install.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:33 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting all the work.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:35 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

YES!!!! Just exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

Have you thought about putting the mesh directly in front of the radiator (i.e, behind them black plastic housing)? The way you have it now, it's impossible to remove any small debris that makes it past your mesh.

I'm not sure how much of an effort it is to remove the plastic housing though.

Last edited by NSXTC; 07-22-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Ryan. That's awesome!

Hank
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same work earlier this week, but installed the intake grill screens sold by Carnewal. The side screens fit between the bumper cover and the lateral retaining frame (part # 6 on the Porsche PET illustration no 802-00, available on Rennlist general forum) without any fasteners although the parts have holes for fasteners. The center screen was made to be mounted in the center opening with four screws in the bumper cover, but the position is too far forward in the opening for me and I didn't want to screw into the cover. Instead, I cut the frame around the screen and fastened it to the back side of the center retaining frame (part # 5 on the PET illustration). The result is a very nice installation, but no doubt more expensive than using more common screening material.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

OT

ryan, those are the protosport rotors?
i got 3 sets coming ;-)
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NSXTC
YES!!!! Just exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

Have you thought about putting the mesh directly in front of the radiator (i.e, behind them black plastic housing)?
I originally tried. Fabricating it that way was a snap because the screen sat flat over it (no forming it to the shape of the bumper). But after doing the center section, I realized that the screen would get in the way of remounting the bumper. The radiator plastic section snugs into bumper section..

Originally Posted by mooty
OT

ryan, those are the protosport rotors?
i got 3 sets coming ;-)
Yep. Cool ...If Paul runs out I know who to call
Old 07-25-2007, 07:09 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Just got back from a weekend at the track ... grills held up great. However, If you want them black (and to stay that way ), I would suggest powder coating.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you have to remove the screw from behind the side marker in pic #5. Atleast on the cup car you don't. Its a pain in the *** to put back in aswell.

Chris
Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Ryan. I completely missed this thread.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent writeup! I missed this thread too...

As I mentioned in another thread, there ought to be a way to install screens from the front without having to remove the bumper. I'm thinking something like Velcro dots and Velcro straps which would then hold the wire mesh in place. Everything being black, of course.

The advantages would obviously be ease of installation, ease of cleaning out stuff which makes it through and ease of replacing the mesh every now and then when it gets too beat up.

I don't have my GT3 yet so I haven't been able to take a close look at a bumper. So I have no idea if this is going to be practical.

Ryan, since you know this part of the car more intimately than most, do you think this approach might be do-able?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:28 PM
NSXTC
Racer

MY plan is to place the mesh directly in front of the radiators (vs. behind the bumper). This way, I can reach in and remove leaves, etc... You can probably do this by cutting small rectangular pieces and use hi-temp RTV to stick on the radiators. I don't know if this will work until I pick up the car next week to try out.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
As I mentioned in another thread, there ought to be a way to install screens from the front without having to remove the bumper. I'm thinking something like Velcro dots and Velcro straps which would then hold the wire mesh in place. Everything being black, of course.

The advantages would obviously be ease of installation, ease of cleaning out stuff which makes it through and ease of replacing the mesh every now and then when it gets too beat up.

I don't have my GT3 yet so I haven't been able to take a close look at a bumper. So I have no idea if this is going to be practical.

Ryan, since you know this part of the car more intimately than most, do you think this approach might be do-able?
Not sure if Vecro will really work. Molding the screen so it "fits" within the bumper is a real pain ... and not a perfect science. By screwing it in, it snugs the "imperfections" in the molding tight to the bumper. With velcro you wouldn't have this luxury and might come loose.

Originally Posted by NSXTC
MY plan is to place the mesh directly in front of the radiators (vs. behind the bumper). This way, I can reach in and remove leaves, etc... You can probably do this by cutting small rectangular pieces and use hi-temp RTV to stick on the radiators. I don't know if this will work until I pick up the car next week to try out.
Sound like a novel approach. Post pics if you try.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by amondc
I don't think you have to remove the screw from behind the side marker in pic #5. Atleast on the cup car you don't. Its a pain in the *** to put back in aswell.

Chris
That screw has to be removed. You're right about being a major PITA to put back. I made a hook to hold it onto the driver on one side. Still frustrated, I ground the sides of the screw head so I could go straight in for the other side.

Quick Reply: Radiator Grill Intake DIY/Bumper Removal