Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lemon Law My '07 GT3?--Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Lemon Law My '07 GT3?--Need Advice

I've had the RMS replaced twice. The car has 2500 miles and was delivered in June 2007. I just picked the car up from service today and drove 30 miles home. The RMS is leaking again. This would be the 3rd RMS replacement. The car has been in the shop for a total of 2 weeks. What should I do? Do I have to have the same Porsche dealer attempt to fix the problem 3 times before I have case for Lemon Law? Should I contact PNA before I take the car back into the dealer? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

n2cars,

I have returned 2 cars under the lemon law. One golf GTI could not engage 1st gear. One BMW 330 for Xenon lights and other issues they could not repair. As I recall the law stipulates that they have to be unable to repair the same problem at least 3 times (uyou are almost there) or the car has to be kept at the shop for 30 days. VW gave me a very hard time and could not care less as their sale was done! They gave me my money back. BMW fixed the problem very fast and very professionally. They offered to refund my money or to build an identical new car for me. I had a new car made. This allowed me to drive the old car for 3 months and to get the following year model. If they cannot fix your RMS you may end up getting an 08 GT3. Not a bad trade! Let us know what happens.

Good luck,

Stephan
Old 10-13-2007, 10:20 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be a good chance to find out how much PCNA is really committed to customer satisfaction. Get them involved ASAP and see what resolution they propose. No point going legal if you don't have to. The lemon law is always a back-pocket option if all else fails.

For starters, ask to speak with Porsche's regional rep. Your dealer should be able to put you in touch with him/her. Or just contact PCNA directly and go from there.

Good luck with it!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:46 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try a new dealer if you can. First get in touch with the regional rep and see what he suggests. You're going to need to be firm with these guys as they'll try to shove it to the back burner if they think they can. I'd doubt they'd give you an '08 as they are too scarce. RMS is such a common thing that I don't see why they are having trouble fixing it unless they aren't doing it right or tackling the right area. Let us know how it gets resolved?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stisseront
n2cars,
If they cannot fix your RMS you may end up getting an 08 GT3. Not a bad trade! Let us know what happens.

Good luck,

Stephan
I can pretty much guarantee they will give you a new motor before they give you an 08!!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I can pretty much guarantee they will give you a new motor before they give you an 08!!
right on.
on my 2002 C4S, i had RMS.
they gave me new motor and no more leak.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea mooty but a GT3 motor is a totally different planet than the C4S motor so it will be interesting to see
how they handle this. I for one would not want another car unless it was the 08.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:17 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

As a dealer who buys lemon laws, by all means, return it! :P
Old 10-14-2007, 11:10 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Monday I will start the 4 step process for "Owner Satisfaction". If Porsche wants to replace the engine is this a reasonable solution to the RMS leak? Will a new engine hurt resale?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

it might but as a knowledgeable Porsche guy I would not be bothered by a new motor knowing the RMS problems.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

This almost makes me wonder if the block has some small issue with its casting so that the RMS just can't lie perfectly flush; hence, the recurrent failures.
Either way my guess is that the next step will be to replace the motor.

Given that there are no indications that your car was abused (i.e. many overrevs on DME scan) and that this leak was a problem from the beginning, I would not think that a new motor would hurt resale. If anything, it could help as it will be a 'lower mileage' engine. In reality, I think there are very few Porsche models ever made that have great resale value...i.e. don't worry about it.

Good Luck! I'm sure this has been a frustrating experience but I think it will end with you enjoying your GT3 like it was new.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

As others have mentioned, I would contact PCNA, explain the experience, and politely request either a new motor or a replacement car. It may take a little time to work through it with them, but I'll bet good money they will have a new motor shipped and installed once you convince them of the problem. On something like a GT3 that will most likely be purchased by a knowledgeable buyer, provided you intend to hold on to it for a while I would not worry about the resale issue.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

As others have said it could be some other component that allows the leak and the main seal cannot compensate. I would expect Porsche to replace the engine before they buy your car back under the Lemon Law. Resale value... down a little, because the engine has been removed several times and or replaced.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:42 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RMS

I had the RMS leak on my last porsche - '04 C4S. I broke the car in properly and drove it daily - hard. RMS went twice in short time. On third drip on my garage floor - Porsche automatically replaced the engine. I couldn't have been more happy with the service. They were apologetic and very professional about the whole process. Occasionally you will get a block that is slightly out of bore where it matches up with the transmission / intermediate shaft. No big deal. I'd rather know right up front (a couple of thousand miles) that my engine was out of spec, rather than risking a failure out of warranty. Won't hurt resale at all - it's a new engine. Just enjoy!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a new engine done under warranty would be recorded as the right engine for the car with Porsche. this shouldnt hurt resale at all as it is the correct engine for the car

Quick Reply: Lemon Law My '07 GT3?--Need Advice