Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rode in a 997 GT2 at Willow Springs today !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:05 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,935 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Default Rode in a 997 GT2 at Willow Springs today !!

I was fortunate enough to be able to ride in a fellow instructors 997 GT2 today. The car is unbelievable!!!

The power is "Instant On". The difference between my 996 GT3 and the GT2 is unreal. My GT3 is a spinner with the brunt of the torque after 5000 RPM, but this thing started to pull from 2500 RPM. If your familiar with Willow Springs, there are 2 long straights, but it seem the mid section of these straight somehow disappear as we put down the throttle and through time warp were already in the braking zone.

The brakes of course are PCCBs and what stopping power. On one particular corner after the front straight, we went in a little hot, but after the initial bite, the car was very stable as if throwing out an anchor and then rolling on to the throttle to get back to speed the transition was very well balanced.

One unnerving thing we experienced was the rear end that seemed to be too stiffly sprung for the bumpy section between turn 8 and 9. My GT3 seem to absorb the bumps without fuss, but the GT2 it felt like the back end would lose grip.

We brought it into the garage to check out the sway bar setting and found the factory settings at 1 from full soft in the front and 1 from full soft in the rear. I suggested softening the rear fully and see if that helps or stiff the front. We'll see tomorrow how it feels.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

VJ's car?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's VJs although his RS has been for sale...the car was at BW yesterday with BMWCCA and I did not see VJ there...also Mark Dadger drove that GT2 and we talked about that car and we also talked about VJ but he didn't connect the two and I'm sure he would have if VJ had been the owner and at the track
Old 06-01-2008, 02:37 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,935 Likes on 1,742 Posts

The car was at Buttonwillow yesterday, Willow Springs this weekend. It's not VJs. VJ was driving a 1 series down to Willow Springs for the club race this weekend (VJ and Sofronas had a great race going on today, but once VJ got by, he pulled away and was the overall race winner today in his M3).

The car is owned by another instructor from Santa Cruz area.

I didn't get a chance to ride in it at BW, but it's not as bumpy as it is at Willow Springs anyway.

Mooty, I got the pads from Mark, thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:21 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I don't think it's VJs although his RS has been for sale...the car was at BW yesterday with BMWCCA and I did not see VJ there...also Mark Dadger drove that GT2 and we talked about that car and we also talked about VJ but he didn't connect the two and I'm sure he would have if VJ had been the owner and at the track
Dadgar drove GT2....
tell him john said "CAN I DROVE GT2"... he'll get it.
i just had lunch with him last week, didnt' know you were gonna be there too.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by flight747
The car was at Buttonwillow yesterday, Willow Springs this weekend. It's not VJs. VJ was driving a 1 series down to Willow Springs for the club race this weekend (VJ and Sofronas had a great race going on today, but once VJ got by, he pulled away and was the overall race winner today in his M3).

The car is owned by another instructor from Santa Cruz area.

I didn't get a chance to ride in it at BW, but it's not as bumpy as it is at Willow Springs anyway.

Mooty, I got the pads from Mark, thanks!
ok, hope the pads work out for you. and i will need a tip or two next time i see you at BW.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
Dadgar drove GT2....
tell him john said "CAN I DROVE GT2"... he'll get it.
i just had lunch with him last week, didnt' know you were gonna be there too.
ah, the infamous Ghetto Racer reference...I was lucky enough to have Mark in my car all day...we had a great time and he really helped me with some fine points...the first thing he told me was "can I drove your car" although he used some excuse that all the instructors drive the first two laps...then he asked me if Tony had done my belts...I told him no but the car had just been at Tony's for drop links, toe links, rear upper links, cb and alignment...thanks to Tony and Joe the car was a huge improvement...then he told me that was his red BMW club racer at Tony's shop...we talked a lot about VJ and a couple of other drovers here in Fresno but I should have known that you two would be friends....it's a small world John
Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

john how are things ... all good???

the 996 gt2 just abuses the 996 cups by the way been having some fun in it

wondering how the 997 will really be like thanks for posting mine will be here in aug
Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Very nice man thanks for sharing with us.... I can't wait to get behind the wheels of the new GT2 to compare to mine

Matt glad to see you are loving the car and beating up on those cups... You doing Mid Ohio?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
ah, the infamous Ghetto Racer reference...I was lucky enough to have Mark in my car all day...we had a great time and he really helped me with some fine points...the first thing he told me was "can I drove your car" although he used some excuse that all the instructors drive the first two laps...then he asked me if Tony had done my belts...I told him no but the car had just been at Tony's for drop links, toe links, rear upper links, cb and alignment...thanks to Tony and Joe the car was a huge improvement...then he told me that was his red BMW club racer at Tony's shop...we talked a lot about VJ and a couple of other drovers here in Fresno but I should have known that you two would be friends....it's a small world John
mark's bmw club racer at Tony's.
oh... you mean the BMW tub that's seeking a few parts, like seats, roll cage, engine, suspension, instrument panel, exhaust... among other parts...

i saw a white gt3 at TC a few weeks back. that must have been your car.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i saw a white gt3 at TC a few weeks back. that must have been your car.
guilty as charged...should have stopped in and say hi, although I might have been out walking...so Mark has a "tub" racer...I must be losing my hearing....I thought he said "club" racer
Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

kidding aside, you should ask mark about PDC day.
it's late august for PDC members only. since you know him, he'll let you in.
it's 7 hours of track time, no run groups. most are bmw club racers. you drive 'til you drop. i did 310+ miles until another PDC superman rewrote my record at close to 400 miles.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

thanks Mooty, will do...good grief 310 miles is awesome and 400+ is just rediculous...you must have nearly burned a full tank as it was...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
the 996 gt2 just abuses the 996 cups by the way been having some fun in it
Say what?.....
Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Say what?.....
oh nothing just having some fun ... i have been running my 996 GT2 at the track and it has been kind of fun to stick my nose all over the 996 cups at local DE events.. been playing with some 997 cups also ... but the sequential shifters and down force gets me in some places... but hell still have my AC and carpet and drove it to a black tie function last week... give me a lil more seat time im sure the car will be where it needs to be only 6 days on track so far ..

Quick Reply: Rode in a 997 GT2 at Willow Springs today !!