Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

For those few who own both a GT3/RS and a GT2

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:55 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those few who own both a GT3/RS and a GT2

If you could only have one, which would it be?

I realize the GT2 is the "intuitive" answer, but I wonder if that's really so from a pure excitement standpoint.

I am asking for an obvious personal reason. And, with the market what it is, if I get a GT2 it will be without a test drive.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daily driver: GT2 (more torque at lower RPM)

Price: GT3/RS (GT2 is not holding the premium and there are quite a few around but (the Dealers are currently trying to bluff buyers and hoping to cling to premiums) If the Dealer is having a hard time extracting the premium, imagine what will happen to you on the other end (sell).

Track: GT3/RS (more visceral, more noise at higher RPMs)

I passed on the 997 GT2 (because of Dealer antics), even though I enjoyed my 996 GT2 greatly. I realize you wanted current owners of both but my experiences are pretty close to be worthwhile (hopefully)

Both cars have a great deal of excitement built into them, and more than many professional drivers could even extract. The acceleration in the GT2 can make up for some over-braking and slowness, the RS requires you to be on the game.

It all depends upon your intended usage, tolerance for cost differences and potential depreciation, perception of rarity (RS only, is a one time deal or regular future model?) etc.

If you could only have one (or even more than one), there are other cars (worthy contenders) to consider as well, but I would pick the RS. Relatively speaking, and seeing the market, I would be more comfortable with a "premium" on the RS, but not the GT2.

The dealers have killed the GT2 again (imo).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Colm
Daily driver: GT2 (more torque at lower RPM)

Price: GT3/RS (GT2 is not holding the premium and there are quite a few around but (the Dealers are currently trying to bluff buyers and hoping to cling to premiums) If the Dealer is having a hard time extracting the premium, imagine what will happen to you on the other end (sell).

Track: GT3/RS (more visceral, more noise at higher RPMs)

I passed on the 997 GT2 (because of Dealer antics), even though I enjoyed my 996 GT2 greatly. I realize you wanted current owners of both but my experiences are pretty close to be worthwhile (hopefully)

Both cars have a great deal of excitement built into them, and more than many professional drivers could even extract. The acceleration in the GT2 can make up for some over-braking and slowness, the RS requires you to be on the game.

It all depends upon your intended usage, tolerance for cost differences and potential depreciation, perception of rarity (RS only, is a one time deal or regular future model?) etc.

If you could only have one (or even more than one), there are other cars (worthy contenders) to consider as well, but I would pick the RS. Relatively speaking, and seeing the market, I would be more comfortable with a "premium" on the RS, but not the GT2.

The dealers have killed the GT2 again (imo).

Hope this helps.
Thanks

I had an RS last summer and I likely should have kept it. But I found the Orange a little hard to bear after a surprisingly short period of time.

I know that you like F's too, as do I, but I think a Stradale, while collectable wont touch a good RS for the infrequent tracking (fun tracking) this car will see. You did or do have a Stradale, don't you? What are your thoughts on that?

That failing, it's a Scud vs. a GT2 and here the Scud is more desirable but availability???

But I'm really looking for a buy and hold that scores well in;

fun to drive
trackworthy for at least short outings
holds value

Your thoughts?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 575 Posts

Herman I am going to get a dealer's license just to sell cars to you, and retire from medicine altogether!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
Thanks

I had an RS last summer and I likely should have kept it. But I found the Orange a little hard to bear after a surprisingly short period of time.

I know that you like F's too, as do I, but I think a Stradale, while collectable wont touch a good RS for the infrequent tracking (fun tracking) this car will see. You did or do have a Stradale, don't you? What are your thoughts on that?

That failing, it's a Scud vs. a GT2 and here the Scud is more desirable but availability???

But I'm really looking for a buy and hold that scores well in;

fun to drive
trackworthy for at least short outings
holds value

Your thoughts?
I will PM you
Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 600 Posts

Not an owner, but you can read my thoughts for free here:

http://excellence-mag.com/

Hopefully, they'll be helpful...

pete
Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by excmag

pete
Too cool. Did Kirby do that shoot for you guys?

Edit: Just finished reading through both articles. As usual great read! I especially love, "Where the GT2 feels like a superb technological take on a loveable but flawed platform, the CGT feels like the sum of all automotive knowledge in the ideal chassis." Thanks Pete!

Last edited by Carnerd; 07-16-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

pete
Oh, that makes it easy...NOT

Seriously thanks a lot!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eclou
Herman I am going to get a dealer's license just to sell cars to you, and retire from medicine altogether!
Hey hey hey. Why are you complaining. just dodged a 10% cut. Don't worry they'll get us before it's all over.

I was hot for a 599 as you know, but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep if I do that. So I'm looking for something to keep me awake.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Too cool. Did Kirby do that shoot for you guys?
Yep, Kirby did the shoot, and did a knockout job!!!

You should have seen the stuff that we couldn't use. I was weeping...

pete
Old 07-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Yep, Kirby did the shoot, and did a knockout job!!!

You should have seen the stuff that we couldn't use. I was weeping...

pete
Ya, he's got quite the talent. Hey if you see Kyle around the office today, tell him Colby said what's up.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

pete
Just got my copy and as much as I liked the article/photos... nothing could beat the day itself

That was so much fun!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Pete,
I saw your article in Excellence. The pictures show the GT2 without a sunroof...is that a U.S. spec car?
If so, is that a no-cost option, or standard?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Pete,
I saw your article in Excellence. The pictures show the GT2 without a sunroof...is that a U.S. spec car?
If so, is that a no-cost option, or standard?
The U.S. GT2 is standard with no sunroof, and that car was full U.S. spec. Test was supposed to happen a couple months earlier, but they pulled the car from the west coast so it could sit pretty at the NY auto show...

And Alex is right, nothing beat the day. I was shocked by how fresh I felt after leaving dinner (what was that, 11 pm?) in Fort Bragg and then how much fun I had on the drive home thru the redwoods. I wasn't that tired, and the 2 was brilliant thru the trees, and wonderfully comfortable down 101 in the dead of night. I think the new seats have something to do with it, but I also think the GT2's superior PASM is another part of the equation.

One bad thing, though: I decided to ditch the 2 at my office that night rather than take my chances with an SF driveway at 2 am. My new GTI (which normally feels brilliant, even after some pretty serious test machinery) felt like a 1978 Ford Fairmont Wagon on the first corner I turned into. You get so used to how good the new GT2 is at doing normal stuff that you start to take it for granted. This at a MUCH higher level than almost any disparity between cars I've tested...

The next evening, low and behold, the GT2 was a cinch to get into my driveway... I shoulda stayed in it!

Finally, as to price -- I thought the 996 GT2 pricing model was laughably bad. It was no "better" than the GT3 unless you really had to have turbo torque. It was a matter of personal preferences. But I'm with lonewolf on the new 2. I feel its goodness and performance beyond the GT3 RS justifies its (still nutty) price tag. I just wish I liked the way the new 2 *looks* even half as much as I like the way the 7 GT3/RS does...

But, if it's about driving, and in an as-delivered car, I am firmly in the GT2 camp this time.

Cheers,

pete
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Just finished a 2 day track event at VIR in the new GT2. Compared with my RS at the Glen last Oct, I prefer the GT2. Ran both cars stock (except for the harness) with factory suspension settings and factory rubber. While I liked the trumpet sound of the RS in sport mode, I liked everything else better in the GT2. First, the seats are unbelievable. Porsche should drop everything and offer these seats to all P car owners. I'm 6'2" and these seats with a harness hold the driver better than my Recaro racing seat in the CGT. None of the alleged bad behavior of the GT2 was evident to me. I had no problem with the move from normal aspiration to turbo but the GT2 remains a little less civil. Both cars had ceramic brakes that never faded. The added push from the higher hp added a lot of enjoyment. I suspect the fun would only go up with suspension adjustments and slicks. My vote: GT2

Quick Reply: For those few who own both a GT3/RS and a GT2