Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 gt3 speed choronograph watch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 AM
hkim80
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997 gt3 speed choronograph watch?

Does anyone on this board have this watch?

If you do, how do you like it?

http://www.porsche-design.com/live/W...=61521&flash=0
Old 07-27-2008, 12:09 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a watch forum on 6speed. There seems to be 2 kinds of Porsche Design watches.
a cheaper 300-900 PD watch with the cars on it Like GT2 GT3 etc etc and a more expensive
Porsche Design watch made by Eterna that run in the 1200-9000 and up range.
Those were actually kind of interesting and I was intrigued and almost bought one.
But since I cant afford to buy $4-5K watches everyday I ended up with a Breitling Navitimer.
More mainstream for the price. But the Eterna PD watches were REALLy nice
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 AM
hkim80
Intermediate

Old Guy, you must be talking about these.

http://www.porsche-design.com/live/P...ActiveID=36005

they sure look nice, but I'm sure in that price range, many people will feel that there are better alternatives (Rolex Daytona, Breitling, Panerai, etc)

I kinda like GT3 watch because it's an official product from Porsche. and they are cheap, well at least not as expensive as above mentioned.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:25 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Hkim those are the ones. But youre absolutely correct. I didnt know if 5000 on a unknown time piece (to me) would be worth a chance worth taking. When there were other more well known pieces out there as you say like Rolex Breitling etc.
I ended up with the Breitling thanks to a very generous Rennlister here.

AND I agree with you on those GT3 watches. I think they would be great daily watches with a touch of flair.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hkim80
Does anyone on this board have this watch?

If you do, how do you like it?

http://www.porsche-design.com/live/W...=61521&flash=0
bought two...one for me and one for my son....my GF liked mine so much, she wears it now when she's working out.....great knock-around watch
Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

I have one and I like it. It looks great especially for daily use and yes, people will notice it. The newer edition has the green second dial instead of orange shown in the PD link. I personally like the original orange version better.

However I think it's a bit overpriced especially compare to the Ferrari Pit Crew watch, also a limited edition. The only one thing I don't like about it is the hands (hour and minute) are in anthracite color with face in carbon graphite. The contrast is very poor even in day light you have to look at it at an angle to read the time (light reflection off anthracite against the dark carbon grahite face). At night or dim lighting condition, forget about it as it appears completely dark with no glows from hands.

The main reasons I got it is due to the '911 GT3' logo on face and the large size. I personally like a decent-weighted watch. Not to mention the orange accent and the little 1:43 scale orange GT3RS models it came with. It matches my car, sort of. If I don't have a GT3, I wouldn't buy it due to the price.

Quick Reply: 997 gt3 speed choronograph watch?